Danube in early November?

sanibel

We're considering the Uniworld Budapest to Prague in November. Has anyone done this and what did you find in November weather? Chilly but pleasant for the excursions?

Definitely Uniworld since we have sailed with them before.

Thanks for weather insight! I've looked at averages and it looks like low 60's.

I wouldn't consider doing this trip in November. Valley Girl has given you an indication of the sort of temperature that's likely. Another thing to note is that November is quite a wet month, so I think your 'chilly but pleasant' is likely to be overoptimistic.

As that river cruise takes you through more than one "climatic zone" over a stretch of several hundred kilometres you could encounter varied weather conditions. At that time of year I would find it more pleasant on the Rhine and in France. At the beginning of November we get the first really cold spells in Germany, especially the first snow in Bavaria quite likely which you might "stumble upon" as then you could be in Passau. Expect rain in varying amounts, but not necessarily every day. It can be pleasant in November and temperatures can be in the tens Celsius but the lovely autumn red and orange colours have turned into winter greys normally by then. Fog is likely around Passau for example.

The graph on the German wikipedia page gives the temperatures for the Passau area: between 1 and 5 degrees. That is out of my comfort zone and I would call it cold!

Of course, as you start in Budapest you might likely have still higher temperatures than that to begin with. Budapest I would definitely visit again even in freezing cold. :)

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

We did a similar cruise in early October a couple of years ago. I've added hyperlinks to my facebook pictures in my signature. When we arrived in Munich they'd had (their first?) snowfall of the year. For Texans who rarely get to see snow, we enjoyed it. Especially on our pre-cruise tour of Ludwig's castles with grounds covered in snow. Throughout the duration of the trip, the weather varied between warm & sunny to cold and wet.

As long as you're prepared for the weather... “There is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.”

I will say, when we were cruising the Wachau Valley, it was cold and blustery, but we were wrapped in the very warm Uniworld blankets on the top deck. Not quite as pleasant as our early September cruise down the Rhine on a sunny day, but we still enjoyed the scenery.

Sanibel,

Is it possible to do the cruise in the opposite direction - start in the colder Prague very early in the month and go south to the warmer Budapest.

Our cruise begins with 3 days in Prague on 11/3 and ends in Budapest on 11/13. For some reason wine themed cruises on the Danube seem to be only offered in mid-April and late October/early November.

D

We did this cruise at the end of August, beginning of September (reverse - we started in Prague) on Uniworld. I don't know what the weather will be like in November, but I will say the cruise was amazing. There's a lot of walking on this cruise, and I personally wouldn't want to be doing it in the cold.

Thank you so much for the information and thoughts. We've decided to do the cruise. That's the only time that fits into our schedule and we'll hope that we do encounter varied weather. We layer and we'll hope that it doesn't rain every single day!

The boat will be warm and snug regardless!

After all, Texas can be 106 in the summer and that's ugly in its own way!

We did this cruise last November, leaving Prague on Nov. 12 and ending in Budapest on Nov. 19. We live in California and had no problem what so ever with the temperatures during the cruise. We layered as needed and I did not even take my heavier jacket with me. We had some drizzle while in Vienna but otherwise the weather was not a problem. Having said that, maybe we were lucky and the same dates this year could be very different temperature wise. We liked that there were fewer tourists and that the Vienna Christmas Markets were open.

Yes, our summers temps can go as high as 110 but unlike Texas, we don't have the humidity. You will love this itinerary and may be lucky enough to see the fall colors in the vineyards along the way-an amazing sight!

We lived in Augsburg Germany for four years and November is not when I would want to be sightseeing in Central Europe.

It will be chilly to cold with short days.

Also, take a large umbrella.

Of course, we are from the South and prefer warmer weather.

I'm booked on this cruise. Uniworld waived the single supplement so I'm taking advantage of it.

Thanks for the advice on packing, but I'm not sure how to travel from Nashville to Budapest with a large umbrella. :D

Roz

I'm booked on this cruise. Uniworld waived the single supplement so I'm taking advantage of it.

Thanks for the advice on packing, but I'm not sure how to travel from Nashville to Budapest with a large umbrella. :D

Roz

Get one that collapses into a smaller size.

but I'm not sure how to travel from Nashville to Budapest with a large umbrella. :D

Roz

Suggest you study the film Mary Poppins.

Now if it were a broom, I could help, my dear MIL flies with her's all the time.;)

Roz

AMA had large umbrellas in each stateroom and I'm guessing that Uniworld does the same. We always travel with small, light weight umbrellas. They are easy to find.

AMA had large umbrellas in each stateroom and I'm guessing that Uniworld does the same. We always travel with small, light weight umbrellas. They are easy to find.

I would recommend a folding umbrella that will fit in your suitcase or backpack. When we lived in London everyone had them, and women had one to match each pair of shoes!! :D

We did this cruise last November, leaving Prague on Nov. 12 and ending in Budapest on Nov. 19. We live in California and had no problem what so ever with the temperatures during the cruise. We layered as needed and I did not even take my heavier jacket with me. We had some drizzle while in Vienna but otherwise the weather was not a problem. Having said that, maybe we were lucky and the same dates this year could be very different temperature wise. We liked that there were fewer tourists and that the Vienna Christmas Markets were open.

Yes, our summers temps can go as high as 110 but unlike Texas, we don't have the humidity. You will love this itinerary and may be lucky enough to see the fall colors in the vineyards along the way-an amazing sight!

We did that cruise Budapest to Prague in November of 2012 and were lucky to have the markets open. We had light jacket weather and no rain for most of the trip.

I agree that layers are the key to packing.

I would like to return to Budapest one of these days. We spent 4 full days there and it was not enough.

I would like to return to Budapest one of these days. We spent 4 full days there and it was not enough.

I think out of all the world cities I've been to Budapest is my favorite. I've been there 4 times, and you're right, no matter how long we stay, it's never enough time.

We did that cruise Budapest to Prague in November of 2012 and were lucky to have the markets open. We had light jacket weather and no rain for most of the trip.

I agree that layers are the key to packing.

I so agree......would love to spend more time in Budapest!

I think out of all the world cities I've been to Budapest is my favorite. I've been there 4 times, and you're right, no matter how long we stay, it's never enough time.

We had no idea we would enjoy Budapest as much as we did. Don't know if we will ever have the opportunity to return but maybe someday.

My favorite cities in Europe now all start with "B":

Berlin

Bologna

Budapest

:)

I wasn't tht Impressed with Bologna, but the other two were great.

also,

Brugges

Belfast

My favorite cites are

Rome

Florence

Venice

Salzburg

Edinburgh

Seville

Barcelona

Copenhagen

Rothenburg on the Tauber

St. Petersburg, Russia

Sydney, Australia

London

Jerusalem

Istanbul

I love to read other's favorite places!

We spent 4 days in Bologna a few years ago and loved it. It reminded me of what Florence was like before it became so touristy. Have been back several times since for a day or two. As a foodie, it was heaven, and I loved the lack of tourists.

I also love Salzburg, and have been going there since I attended the University there many years ago. It remains a favorite, even though I am not enamored with some of the recent changes.

Istanbul was truly exotic and I very much enjoyed the three days I spent there.

My main memory of Copenhagen is not being able to get away from the cigarette smokers. It was everywhere. Hopefully things have changed as that was about 12 years ago.

Venice is one of my least favorite cities in Italy and in Europe overall. Paris is on that list as well.

Always interesting to compare my list with others. :)

Hi Roz,

Glad you're joining us on the cruise! Looks like there's multiple opinions about the weather but all seem to agree its a great trip from Budapest to Prague.

We've sailed with Uniworld before and like them. Maybe they'll even have extra umbrellas!