What Happens to Injured Birds That Land On Cruise Ships?

moviegal

Thanks everybody for the thoughtful replies. I was honestly just curious as to a general cruise policy regarding an issue like this.

I personally think that I have a moral obligation to try to help any living thing in need, be it human or not. And yes, I DID attempt to help the bird myself. I went over to talk soothingly to him because it was obvious he was terrified. I went up to the buffet and brought him a small dish of water and left it by his side to go back to my cabin and change into casual clothes.

About 20 minutes later I went back to check on him. He had moved a few feet but was still there, cowering and shivering. At that point, I went down to the guest services desk to ask if they could offer any help. The lady at the desk acted swiftly and immediately called the housekeeping department because she said they were "equipped with dealing with matters such as this." I asked her twice and she assured me that no harm would come to the bird.

I would've been happy to take him to my stateroom for shelter but I thought I should go through the proper channels first. I know there's probably not any onboard veterinarian, but obviously things like this happen often so I do not think it's stupid to think a cruise line would perhaps have some onboard storage / kennel facility or humane procedure for dealing with injured wildlife that land aboard.

What if this was a bald eagle or an endangered owl? Would they honestly just toss the animal overboard? That's a federal crime, folks. This was just your run-of-the-mill seabird but a life is a life as far as I am concerned. The bird was scared and just needed a little bit of TLC until he was able to fly away when we got closer to land.

I guess I will have to live with the fact that I most likely failed the bird. Next time something like this happens, I will still report it but I will wait on the deck with my video recording so I can know for sure.

Sorry to "create drama," that certainly wasn't my intention. I was just simply asking a question.

There is no Federal Crime. American Endangered Animal Protection laws end at US borders. As with any wild animal, unless you are a veterinarian, you should simply leave an animal alone.

We have seen small birds (sparrows?) that live on the Fantasy' Serenity - adults only- deck. We thought they would leave when we got to Nassau then Freeport but they didn't. They can drink water from rain etc. and eat the crumbs left from food brought onto the deck. We've been on a few Fantasy cruises and have often seen them.

I feel sorry for those birds that are on NCL ships...no crumbs these days since you can't take food from the restaurants anymore. :(

moviegal, I don't find your question stupid. I also find the callous replies repulsive. Humans are not the only creatures that feel pain. Do we think our pain is more important than theirs?

Most of us do. There aren't really all that high a proportion of vegans in the world, and even they are happy to kill some animals. Count the number of dead flies on their vehicles after a drive on a hot day.

STOP IT ALL OF YOU! I do completely understand caring for animals, they are so much more important to me than humans ...

I really hope you don't mean this. If you had the choice of saving a human baby or a puppy from a fire, you'd save the puppy?