What Happens to Injured Birds That Land On Cruise Ships?

moviegal

This thread reminds me of the "Everybody Loves Raymond" Thanksgiving episode where a bird flew into the door at Amy's house - her mother broke its neck to end its suffering. Everyone was then up in arms about her killing a bird, until the timer went off and the turkey was ready - then it was "Let's eat"! :p

We have seen small birds (sparrows?) that live on the Fantasy' Serenity - adults only- deck. We thought they would leave when we got to Nassau then Freeport but they didn't. They can drink water from rain etc. and eat the crumbs left from food brought onto the deck. We've been on a few Fantasy cruises and have often seen them.

We have seen small birds (sparrows?) that live on the Fantasy' Serenity - adults only- deck. We thought they would leave when we got to Nassau then Freeport but they didn't. They can drink water from rain etc. and eat the crumbs left from food brought onto the deck. We've been on a few Fantasy cruises and have often seen them.

Obviously they like to cruise as much as we do!

What does the management of the Empire State Building do if a bird flies into it? Bird injuries would be left to nature. At the risk of sounding cruel, do you believe a ship of 3500 passengers should miss a port because a bird needed veterinary attention?

A few years ago an osprey sought shade under one of the lifeboats of the Queen Victoria and was spotted after the ship was out to sea. The osprey was named "Prince Albert" and kept in the mooring line room until the ship returned to Southampton. It seemed content to observe its surroundings and enjoy the free fish dinners.

Yes, this was an absolutely serious question and no, I don't think it's dumb at all for asking it.

I did some internet research prior and found two stories that made me hope Carnival had some sort of caring, compassionate policy about dealing with wild animals who harbor aboard their ships. Nobody was suggesting they stop to cruise ship to save a bird, I was just wondering if they may have the capacity to have a couple of small cages onboard to hold injured animals 'til the next port. I can't possibly be the only animal lover on a cruise and I honestly don't see how this is a stupid thing to think or ask.

I would have GLADLY paid to get the bird to a vet at the next port of call without question, and I told the Guest Services folks that. They assured me no harm would come to the animal. I'm guessing from Carnival's silence (I've contacted them too), that something horribly cruel happened to this bird.

Here are the two news stories, you guys might be interested:

Big Ship, Little Bird: WildCare Rescues and Rehabilitates an Injured Seabird Aboard a Cruise Ship

and

Pelican Collides With Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship, Recovering at a Tampa Animal Shelter

We spotted a small bird last sept pn our ship. Hanging out near lifeboats,,it wasnt trying to fly away and didnt seem hurt. The staff didnt do anything to it ,,,it was there up to the last day... I suppose if one was obviously injured they wouldnt leave it to suffer either tho.

Yes, this was an absolutely serious question and no, I don't think it's dumb at all for asking it.

I did some internet research prior and found two stories that made me hope Carnival had some sort of caring, compassionate policy about dealing with wild animals who harbor aboard their ships. Nobody was suggesting they stop to cruise ship to save a bird, I was just wondering if they may have the capacity to have a couple of small cages onboard to hold injured animals 'til the next port. I can't possibly be the only animal lover on a cruise and I honestly don't see how this is a stupid thing to think or ask.

I would have GLADLY paid to get the bird to a vet at the next port of call without question, and I told the Guest Services folks that. They assured me no harm would come to the animal. I'm guessing from Carnival's silence (I've contacted them too), that something horribly cruel happened to this bird.

Here are the two news stories, you guys might be interested:

Big Ship, Little Bird: WildCare Rescues and Rehabilitates an Injured Seabird Aboard a Cruise Ship

and

Pelican Collides With Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship, Recovering at a Tampa Animal Shelter

Something horribly cruel? Do you consider instant death to be horribly cruel, or do you suspect the crew of torturing it?

Of course instant death isn't inherently horribly cruel, but what I think DOES constitute cruelty is when an animal is in distress and someone has the opportunity to help or aid the animal but instead chucks it overboard.

I'm shocked at some of the responses here. This bird wasn't lying around with a broken neck and near death, the bird was frightened and stunned and probably just needed a little water and rest and could've flown away on his own if released at the next port of call.

I don't think my question was stupid nor irrational and I'm losing faith in the compassion of much the human race based on this thread.

I don't think my question was stupid nor irrational and I'm losing faith in the compassion of much the human race based on this thread.

Next time, quit the whole drama and just take the bird back to your state room with you. Why do you need others to do something you are unwilling to do yourself?

Of course instant death isn't inherently horribly cruel, but what I think DOES constitute cruelty is when an animal is in distress and someone has the opportunity to help or aid the animal but instead chucks it overboard.

I'm shocked at some of the responses here. This bird wasn't lying around with a broken neck and near death, the bird was frightened and stunned and probably just needed a little water and rest and could've flown away on his own if released at the next port of call.

Just wondering what you did to help the bird. Did you call over a crew member. Did you try to offer help in any way? How did you help the bird?

"Chef's Special"?

Actually this thread reminded me of this story, a burrowing owl took up residence aboard the Oasis of the Seas a few years back:

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/weird/Owl-Burrows-Hole-on-Cruise-Ship-Golf-Course-103332944.html

The owl was captured and released in a nearby park; he didn't end up on the menu.

Edited by AlanFromFL

It probably depends on the type of bird it is. One that is run of the mill, probably not much help given. One that is protected or endangered than they would more than likely get what help they can within reason.

moviegal, I don't find your question stupid. I also find the callous replies repulsive. Humans are not the only creatures that feel pain. Do we think our pain is more important than theirs?

A few days after Sandy my daughter set sail on the Brilliance from NJ. (As you can imagine, it was touch and go whether she could even get to the ship - she did). She had a balcony, and soon noticed songbirds she recognized (goldfinches, sparrows and blackbirds). She put out fresh water in bowls and some granola, and these birds were her companions on the balcony until the first stop at a Caribbean port, when they left.

We think they were birds blown off the migration track by Sandy, which took the first opportunity to get get off the ship and into a natural environment in the Caribbean. They did not reappear. Intelligent hitch hikers?

As for those who have ridiculed the original question, with jokes about eating or killing the birds, go look yourself in the face in the mirror. You think it's funny when creatures that are not human die? It's not. Some sense of humor you have there....

Nobody was suggesting they stop to cruise ship to save a bird, I was just wondering if they may have the capacity to have a couple of small cages onboard to hold injured animals 'til the next port. I can't possibly be the only animal lover on a cruise and I honestly don't see how this is a stupid thing to think or ask.

There are legal issues preventing such things. A bird landing on the rail is nature. A captured and caged bird, intentionally transported to the next port becomes cargo. Throw in the fact the bird maybe sick and it becomes a big no-no.

Thanks everybody for the thoughtful replies. I was honestly just curious as to a general cruise policy regarding an issue like this.

I personally think that I have a moral obligation to try to help any living thing in need, be it human or not. And yes, I DID attempt to help the bird myself. I went over to talk soothingly to him because it was obvious he was terrified. I went up to the buffet and brought him a small dish of water and left it by his side to go back to my cabin and change into casual clothes.

About 20 minutes later I went back to check on him. He had moved a few feet but was still there, cowering and shivering. At that point, I went down to the guest services desk to ask if they could offer any help. The lady at the desk acted swiftly and immediately called the housekeeping department because she said they were "equipped with dealing with matters such as this." I asked her twice and she assured me that no harm would come to the bird.

I would've been happy to take him to my stateroom for shelter but I thought I should go through the proper channels first. I know there's probably not any onboard veterinarian, but obviously things like this happen often so I do not think it's stupid to think a cruise line would perhaps have some onboard storage / kennel facility or humane procedure for dealing with injured wildlife that land aboard.

What if this was a bald eagle or an endangered owl? Would they honestly just toss the animal overboard? That's a federal crime, folks. This was just your run-of-the-mill seabird but a life is a life as far as I am concerned. The bird was scared and just needed a little bit of TLC until he was able to fly away when we got closer to land.

I guess I will have to live with the fact that I most likely failed the bird. Next time something like this happens, I will still report it but I will wait on the deck with my video recording so I can know for sure.

Sorry to "create drama," that certainly wasn't my intention. I was just simply asking a question.

I guess I will have to live with the fact that I most likely failed the bird. Next time something like this happens, I will still report it but I will wait on the deck with my video recording so I can know for sure.

Are you serious? :confused:

I would've been happy to take him to my stateroom for shelter but I thought I should go through the proper channels first. I know there's probably not any onboard veterinarian, but obviously things like this happen often so I do not think it's stupid to think a cruise line would perhaps have some onboard storage / kennel facility or humane procedure for dealing with injured wildlife that land aboard...

Again, as tactfully as I am able ... what about the fish being churned up beneath the ship? The existence of that ship - and your presence on it - caused the death of many living things. Accidentally or no. Nobody deliberately snared or tortured that bird.

Did you or any of your tablemates indulge in red meat, poultry, or seafood during the duration of your cruise? Are those animals somehow lesser to you than their wild counterparts? Should the cruise ship be forced to offer only vegetarian fare? That would be the humane thing to do.

And how frightened do you think a wild bird would be, caged until the next port? Is that humane?

For you to presume that the bird was handled inhumanely by the staff onboard because they are somehow less caring? less civilized? than you, is frankly quite pompous.

Edited by CanadianDee

There are legal issues preventing such things. A bird landing on the rail is nature. A captured and caged bird, intentionally transported to the next port becomes cargo. Throw in the fact the bird maybe sick and it becomes a big no-no.

Good point.

OP, whilst I admire your caring attitude, it needs to be tempered with a dose of reality. As I posted way back on this thread, Natural Selection is in play here (remember this is a wild animal we are talking about). Either it is sick and therefore NS will run its course, or, it flew into a huge cruise ship? (That tells me it has sight/navigation problems so NS would remove it from the gene pool).

Nature in the raw.

We could start a whole new thread on the philosophical problem about whether human intervention is a good or bad thing for wild species. I know my views, you might want to ponder upon the harsh realities of nature.

STOP IT ALL OF YOU! I do completely understand caring for animals, they are so much more important to me than humans, BUT, this is a big deal guys, did you know that the Bird Flu is out and about again, that thousands of birds in the northern hemisphere have the disease and are dying? If you are going to handle the birds that are not cut, not bleeding, not broken winged, than use a mask and gloves. This is a serious threat. Why would a bird land on a ship? Tired? Hungry? Sick? The finches fly on the Fascination all the time, nests in the fake palms, I expect to see them, but if I am miles from land, and a bird lands, I give him space to regroup. Space.

And for those who were making sick cruel comments about animals-do you not know the story of why God made man? The Indian legend is, is that we are here to care for the animals. That is why he made us smarter, wiser, and gave us the ability to be on land and water.

....but the Bible says animals are here on earth to serve man........then some believe some are reincarnated of those souls here on earth previously......then again the KFC made millions on their eleven secret herbs and spices......hmmmm......I'm getting hungry.