New to Holland America

Ken_W

My husband and I have eleven cruises between us (most on Cunard, and including Celebrity, Princess, & Carnival), we're both early 60's, fairly outgoing, and enjoy a bit of pampering now and then.

We've both been intrigued by the Prinsendam's transatlantic this November, which includes seven days at sea (Heaven! Bliss! Joy! Deck chairs! Books! Etc.) but we don't know much about Holland America.

For those of you who are great supporters of the line, what is it about Holland American that brings you back time and time again? What things make you happy, and perhaps what things make you not as happy as you used to be but are still relatively happy? (I hope that makes sense...)

And for those of you who feel that Holland America is always an option, but not necessarily your first choice, why is that? What do you feel HA does well, but other lines might do as well or better?

I have almost completely devoured HA's website, I'm very happy to find out that Prinsendam is a smaller ship with capacity for 985 pax, and that the ship is handsome inside and out, so I'd appreciate anyone with an opinion to share. Thanks!

My husband and I cruise on HAL a lot (350+ nights) and it's our favorite line. One of the things that I really like about it is that the crew members are mostly either Indonesian (dining room and room stewards) or Filipino (bar staff). Since there are basically only two nationalities working on the ship, I think they truly are happier working with their countrymen (and women). This then translates into happier passengers, too.

We also like that HAL still lets passengers choose set dining (as well as open seating). We like late set dining with a shared table for six in order to have the same waiter every night and the same table of new friends.

We also like HAL for its longer cruises of 45+ days and we LOVE sea days.

We've cruised on Prinsendam for two 25-day cruises. Some love it but it's not our favorite HAL ship. We like the slightly larger Amsterdam. And we have cruised on Regent and Viking Oceans Star, both smaller or similar to Prinsendam's passenger count and we like those smaller ships just fine. But for some reason, Prinsendam is just too small for us.

On all of our cruises (regardless of cruise line), we don't tend to go to any of the lectures, events, etc. other than I do go to the gym on ships and take the free fitness classes. Otherwise we enjoy our balcony and having the TV turned on to the re-broadcasted taped lectures. Therefore I can't really speak to HAL's entertainment offerings all though I've seen enough of the HAL printed daily programs to know what IS offered.

We like the HAL food and enjoy using the sambal (Indonesian hot sauce) that is available due to the Indonesian culture on the HAL ships.

And although we now get free laundry due to our status, I love that HAL offers an "all inclusive laundry package" for one price for the entire cabin if you don't like doing your own laundry in the laundry rooms on board the ships. I think it costs $69 for a 14-day cruise up to $198 for a 45-day cruise, but don't quote me on those prices. HAL also offers the typical per-piece price option like $3 per T-shirt. I love putting my dirty clothes in a bag and having them come back the next day on hangers and/or folded. I won't cruise with Regent again since they don't sell this type of "all inclusive" laundry service and I hate doing laundry on cruises!

HAL is more traditional in its cruising. You won't find rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks or glitzy shopping arcades on its ships.

We like the wraparound promenade decks, the better-than-average room service menu, the bathroom amenities (for the most part). We like being able to bring wines aboard and have no problem paying the $18/bottle corkage for the privilege. Is it the same line as it was in 2000? No. But the above are some of the things that keep us coming back.

We have over 100 days on Holland America, and we've sailed twice on Prinsendam. We like that HAL ships are more fine woods and brass than chrome and glass. The crews are what really stand out, though. They are so anxious to please, and serve the best they can.

My husband and I have eleven cruises between us (most on Cunard, and including Celebrity, Princess, & Carnival), we're both early 60's, fairly outgoing, and enjoy a bit of pampering now and then.

We've both been intrigued by the Prinsendam's transatlantic this November, which includes seven days at sea (Heaven! Bliss! Joy! Deck chairs! Books! Etc.) but we don't know much about Holland America.

For those of you who are great supporters of the line, what is it about Holland American that brings you back time and time again? What things make you happy, and perhaps what things make you not as happy as you used to be but are still relatively happy? (I hope that makes sense...)

And for those of you who feel that Holland America is always an option, but not necessarily your first choice, why is that? What do you feel HA does well, but other lines might do as well or better?

I have almost completely devoured HA's website, I'm very happy to find out that Prinsendam is a smaller ship with capacity for 985 pax, and that the ship is handsome inside and out, so I'd appreciate anyone with an opinion to share. Thanks!

My wife and I faced a similar decision 5 years ago - we were in our early 60s at the time - and became a HAL loyalists. Below are some of my opinions:

- the beds are very comfortable

- the Crow's Nest is the best bar at sea

- the Explorations Café is a great place to get a good cup of coffee in the morning and enjoy the scenery

- the breakfast at the Lido buffet is very good - lots of cooked to order items

- most of the public areas provide outside views - you know you are on a cruise ship

- the typical HAL passenger is very friendly, considerate, and knowledgeable about cruising

- the crew is typically very polite and helpful when needed. They are not overly visible.

Having said all that, I sailed the Prinsendam for the first time last summer and found the crew and fellow passengers to be exceptional. I think the size of the ship has a lot to do with that. Everyone becomes family after a few days on board. I believe that, more than anything else, sets the Prinsendam apart from the rest of the HAL fleet.

-

... For those of you who are great supporters of the line, what is it about Holland American that brings you back time and time again?

... for my DW and me, this is a "no brainer", as HAL is the only cruise line that has a Catholic priest on EVERY cruise, which means that we can attend daily Mass on our HAL cruises. So, if having daily Mass is important to you, the choice is easy - HAL!!!

Rod

We are in our early and mid-60's and have over 700 days on HAL and have little to add to the lists above. After living in MN, we escaped as often as possible in the winter to cruise somewhere. We have lots of sea days on other lines but the service and friendliness on HAL cannot be beat! We stay in contact with many crew and lots of previous passengers as we all felt like we were 'home' while on board. We have over 160 days on the Prinsedam as she does amazing itineraries. She sails like a dream due to a unique hull design, even in horrible seas. In truth, she is a bit worn here and there but this adds to her hominess. The art work is amazing and the Pinnacle Grill has rosewood walls. The bath tubs in almost all rooms and the walk-in closets on the P'dam are wonderful and even in a standard ocean view room, the 2 beds make up to a king bed not a smallish queen as on other lines. A friend once said, many tourists take cruises but many travelers cruise on HAL; you will meet passengers who have had amazing adventures and stores.

Enjoy your cruise!

The crew.

Really noticed a difference recently on a HAL cruise after a four-year gap during which we cruised another line.

Many crew members have a lot of longevity, and the consistent gracious, warm service is amazing.

Besides that, the wrap-around promenade decks are great!

Just that exactly...the sea days, the deck chairs, the books. My favorite things to do on a cruise. I like that I can sit by the pool on HAL and not overrun but action and loud music and activity. So quiet and serene.

HAL is just more laid back. I don't need 17 activities in each time slot on a cruise to keep me happy. I like solitude, laid-back, no hurry atmosphere. And HAL has this.

Some people mistake this as being because of the 'older' clientele but I just think it is the ambiance of a HAL cruise. More about the understated elegance than the party atmosphere.

The crew, primarily. I've been sailing HAL since the early 70s, and my favorite ships are the S-class (Statendam) and R-class (Rotterdam). However, since I finally sailed on the Prinsendam two years ago, I've fallen in love with that ship. Sure, she's an older vessel, but elegant and classic and she takes the waves beautifully. She was built to do that. The cabins are lovely, and the walk-in closet with all the "cubbies" is a plus. I'll be on her 67-day South America Grand Voyage in January and will reach my 500 days at sea on HAL on that voyage. Not everyone appreciates a "classic" ship, but I think you will. It's only a matter of years before she'll be retired from the fleet. Enjoy!

Thank you all for so many thoughtful replies. I admit I was largely sold on the idea of a longer voyage on a smaller ship before posting here, but the remarks here have all been about things I value on a ship.

I'm still waiting to find out from DH whether he can get the time off (may not know until Tuesday morning), but I did just use a bucket of (fully refundable) airline miles to get us from San Francisco to Rome, so we're both pretty sure of what we would like to happen next.... :)

Why do we love HAL ships? Let me count the ways.....beautiful interiors, fresh flowers in the public areas every day, polished railings, the Crows Nest, the Lido, exquisite dining room service, lots of quiet places on the ships, very few kids running around, lots of older folks looking for a nice, relaxing, peaceful vacation, interesting ports, comfy beds, spotless staterooms, big bathtubs, lots of deck chairs, friendly crew, prunes at the Lido breakfast buffet, delicious food and interesting menus, lots of cocktail bars, delicious drinks, should I continue?

Edited by Diver2014