October Canada/New England...packing?????

CLE-B

We are sailing 9 night RCCL. I am a Caribbean cruiser and when we do these cold weather cruises I am always at a total loss. I am one that doesn't care to be cold on a cruise. These items are for both "formal" and casual dinners each night.

Here is what I have so far in my planning:

Black long skirt

Black silk PJ pant style slacks

Black silk ankle slacks

Navy/white print slack

Black velvet slacks w/Jacket

I have these tops planned so far:

Pink sweater top

Pink Lace top

grey 2 pc dressy sweater tunic top

White lace top

Gold dressy top

short sleeve dressy black top

white fly away sweater top

light grey sweater top

In my mind all the tops and bottoms should be interchangeable. But I would like to know your opinions.

Am I on the right track here???

Thanks to all,

Mary

Serious overkill.

This would be my packing list...

4 jeans/cotton twill slacks in neutral colors

6 tops--two long sleeve cotton, one lightweight wool, three silk knit

1 wool cardigan

1 cotton cardigan

1 long black skirt

2 dressy tops

1 black dress slacks

4 sets of undergarments including the ones you travel in

1 pair of dressy black flat sandals

1 pair of walking shoes or boots (wear to travel)

1 pair of ballerina flats

6 pair of socks

1 raincoat

1 pashmina

Some scarves and jewelry to change up the outfits.

I would also bring ear muffs and gloves because my ears and hands can get cold easily.

Silk knit tops are terrific as they can be work daytime and evening and can be handwashed, won't wrinkle, and take only an hour or two to dry.

All of this can be layered for warmth if needed. The pashmina can be worn as a shawl at nights or neck scarf during the day, and can also be used as a light blanket on the plane.

Wear things twice, you aren't going to be hot and sweaty, and if you need to send a few things out for cleaning it will still be cheaper than checking bags.

I am not so much looking for a packing list. I get the whole layer thing...not worried about day wear.

The items I have mentioned are for 9 nights of dinner. I am trying my hardest to keep it simple. And I am trying to make all the pieces interchangable. I don't plan on taking a lot extra shoes or a ton of jewerly.

I plan on wearing each slack/skirt twice and maybe a top or two over also. Or the sweater tops can be used in port the next day.

What can I do to improve my choices so far???? What am I missing?

I am not so much looking for a packing list. I get the whole layer thing...not worried about day wear.

The items I have mentioned are for 9 nights of dinner. I am trying my hardest to keep it simple. And I am trying to make all the pieces interchangable. I don't plan on taking a lot extra shoes or a ton of jewerly.

I plan on wearing each slack/skirt twice and maybe a top or two over also. Or the sweater tops can be used in port the next day.

What can I do to improve my choices so far???? What am I missing?

Why are you bringing so many outfits that you'll wear for a couple hours? Like I said, one black skirt, one pair of black dressy slacks take care of all the formal/semi-formal/playing dress up/whatever you want to call it nights. The cotton twill pants (call them chino's Dockers/cotton slacks) can be worn daytime or at dinner on the non dressy nights. The same tops you wear in port can be worn at night on non-formal nights.

Edited by ducklite

Why are you bringing so many outfits that you'll wear for a couple hours? Like I said, one black skirt, one pair of black dressy slacks take care of all the formal/semi-formal/playing dress up/whatever you want to call it nights. The cotton twill pants (call them chino's Dockers/cotton slacks) can be worn daytime or at dinner on the non dressy nights. The same tops you wear in port can be worn at night on non-formal nights.

I understand your point. And I think it is great when you are happy and comfortable with your packing choices.

Believe it or not but for me only taking 4 bottom pieces for 9 nights of dinner is way scaled back!!! And I am so glad I have starting taking this approach. I learned I can wear something more than once...huge for me.

I guess I am an over packer but to be honest with you I am more comfortable if I allow myself choices and a little variety. Just me. I don't think I will ever master your skills on packing.

Let me see if I can help.

Black long skirt

Black silk ankle slacks

You simply do not need three pair of evening pants, and velvet is a PITA to pack. Leave that at home. (Not to mention that it's early in the season for velvet--I grew up in that area and we only wore velvet around Christmas.)

Navy/white print slack--Nope--now you've gone to another color scheme. Leave these out.

Now you have two pair of slacks and a skirt for all of your dressier nights. (which I think will be four?) I'm assuming you have some daytime slacks which would work for your non-dressy nights.

Pink sweater top

Pink Lace top

White lace top

Gold dressy top

light grey sweater top

If half of those can also be worn during the day, sure. If not, then rethink what you have for daytime wear that would work well at night. Maybe just one of the pinks and one of the greys. I'd probably leave the white at home.

My rule of thumb is that if that every top must pair with every bottom or it stays home.

Let me see if I can help.

Black long skirt

Black silk ankle slacks

You simply do not need three pair of evening pants, and velvet is a PITA to pack. Leave that at home. (Not to mention that it's early in the season for velvet--I grew up in that area and we only wore velvet around Christmas.)

Navy/white print slack--Nope--now you've gone to another color scheme. Leave these out.

Now you have two pair of slacks and a skirt for all of your dressier nights. (which I think will be four?) I'm assuming you have some daytime slacks which would work for your non-dressy nights.

Pink sweater top

Pink Lace top

White lace top

Gold dressy top

light grey sweater top

If half of those can also be worn during the day, sure. If not, then rethink what you have for daytime wear that would work well at night. Maybe just one of the pinks and one of the greys. I'd probably leave the white at home.

My rule of thumb is that if that every top must pair with every bottom or it stays home.

Okay this is sounding reasonable and smart! I think I can do this.....

Minus the blue slacks all the pieces are interchangeable....thank you!!!!

I went on a Canada cruise two years ago . You basically pack like an Alaska cruise . Forget the ear muffs & who over the age of five wears those any way . Bring jeans , T shirts , a few cotton sweaters & a rain proof jacket for day . For evening I had JJill wearever separates which mix & match & are easy to wash if needed . Add in a few scarves & jewelry and you are good to go . It was a great trip !

I went on a Canada cruise two years ago . You basically pack like an Alaska cruise . Forget the ear muffs & who over the age of five wears those any way . Bring jeans , T shirts , a few cotton sweaters & a rain proof jacket for day . For evening I had JJill wearever separates which mix & match & are easy to wash if needed . Add in a few scarves & jewelry and you are good to go . It was a great trip !

I just got back from London and saw hundreds of adult women wearing ear muffs.

Are you talking about these kind of earmuffs ? Sorry but I think they are hideous !

As I said, I saw hundreds of women wearing them in London--NYC and Boston as well. Some of us prefer them to a hat as we don't care to end up with "hat head." If you don't like them, don't wear them.

• 4 weeks later...
Are you talking about these kind of earmuffs ? Sorry but I think they are hideous !

I LOVE my ear muffs! I have two friends I have skied with who think they are hideous! I think my ears are way more sensitive than most people and so I'm wearing something that keeps them warm. The ones I have were given to me as a Christmas gift from REI. They are Polartec and the strap is not on top of your head - it's in the back.

Thank you Sailor_Sally and Ducklite for reminding me to think about packing them for the North Cape cruise or our fall Canada/New England cruise.

-Rose

Edited by Mimosa09

Regarding earmuffs.

In the winter, I wear "ear bags". They fit over each ear (no headband).

Easy to put on and take off, no hat head, easy to store in my purse when not in use and they come in a variety of colours. They keep my ears warm.

I got them at a sporting goods store, but in Canada, Marks Work Wearhouse sells them and they were available on the Shopping Channel.

I took my first cool weather cruise last October to Canada. The challenging part for me was not what I was going to wear on the ship but off it. The ship temperature is going to say in comfortable range either with air conditioning or heating. I took some long sleeves shirts and light sweaters but I was just as comfortable in short sleeves. Off the ship was a different matter. We had some sunny and warm days as well as rain with down right chilly winds, some just plain cold.

On Royal Caribbean ships the buffet is separated from the other parts of the ship by the outside pool area. I made the mistake once of forgetting that fact and took the elevators at the opposite end from the buffet and crossed the pool area on a cold day with no jacket.

I purchased a winter Tilley's hat with ear flaps in Canada. It came in handy.

BTW if one likes ear muffs you should wear them.

Shak

Pink sweater top

Pink Lace top

White lace top

Gold dressy top

light grey sweater top

I'm with Ducklite. Leave the velvet at home. Too bulky, and traditionally not worn until Christmas anyway. Ditch the navy print pants, re: color scheme. 2 black pants and 1 black skirt should be fine for a 9 night cruise.

As for evening tops, I would not take more than 5 or 6. Just plan to wear a few of them twice- once with pants and once with the skirt for a different look. Personally, I'd skip the lace tops, as those don't sound like tops that could do double duty as daytime wear. Without seeing the various sweater and tunic tops you describe I can't determine if those would also work for daytime or not.

Since all your bottoms will be black, you should be able to get away with ONE pair of black dressy sandals for evenings.

One final thought: Don't worry so much about packing warm clothes for dinner. Even if it's freezing outside during your cruise, the interior of the ship will be heated. ;)

• 4 months later...

So we just got back from our Silversea's New New England/Canada cruise. Even though we had some rain, we also had sun and the colors were spectacular.

I am so glad I brought my gloves and ear muffs. I used them once we reached Canada on a number of excursions. And I noticed a number of other passengers on the Whisper doing the same - including men. Guess I'm not super fashion minded. I would rather be warm.

And I also used them a few times while on the North Cape cruise in Norway this past June along with some other passengers. Norway's June weather was unusually cold this year.

So I am glad I read this thread to be reminded to bring ear muffs and gloves - and I recommend bringing them if you are used to wearing them in cold weather.

-Rose