LIVE - An Epic Journey - Rhapsody - Singapore to Istanbul

I had an excellent flight to Dubai.....cause I was flying FIRST CLASS!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD!!!!! And first class with Emirites airline is a First Class as it comes!

It was amazing. Now this is the way to travel. In my own suite.

With fresh orchards and drinking Dom Perignon 2004.

Screech with excitement.

And so many buttons to press and things to play with.

Then I arrived in Dubai.

Included with first class is a night in a hotel with hire car transfers.

I got there, had a shower and a few hours sleep - then I get picked up at 6.15 to go back to the airport.

YAY FOR ME -------and for Qantas points!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_2932.JPG

Cooked to order - scrambled eggs etc. But only Moet!. Hear that - ONLY Moet.

11377245_10153324167092829_8738691447947943894_n.jpg?oh=a27875c7516dd569b894b0dbfee61db9&oe=55FCBEEE&__gda__=1442695468_667921a9a1d08c9671e9af3a6770111c

Then time to board for the long trip via Thailand....but I didn't care. Gives me more time to play with things and drink Dom!. As in Dom Perignon 2004. The same $270 bottle that we had on Christmas day. Hahah!

IMG_2952.JPG

IMG_2962.JPG

IMG_2900.JPG

I was given the menu book and the wine list.

A 2003 Chateau Montrose Saint Estephe Cab Sav French red or a 2004 Chateau Montviel French Merlot. Or of course I could just have a Whiskey - A Johnny Walker BLUE! Or even a 40 year old Port from Portugal.

Pity I'm not a big drinker.

After take off they to see if I wanted anything. Because there is no set dining times. It's all a la cart. Order what and when you want.

I decided on a Dom and the caviar presented with freshly chopped onion, grated egg, sour cream and lemon. But not just a wedge of lemon. The lemon was tied up into a cloth - so i could squeeze it without the annoying little pips getting in my food.

Oh and a full bread basket - in case I wanted more.

IMG_2954.JPG

But - the caviar was going to take 10 minutes to prepare - so just to tide me over she brought me a snack. A prawn on a stick with feta and olives.

IMG_2951.JPG

After eating I decided to have a sleep. As much as it was going to pain me to miss time enjoying this experience I really needed a sleep.

IMG_2959.JPG

So my bed was set up and in I hopped. It was too long to reach the end. The mattress topper was very similar to the one I cart around with me and that, on top of the soft squishy leather seat/bed was fantastic. A full sized pillow and a really light doona - and of course lovely linen on it all.

At the push of a button on the ipad like controller I dimmed the three different lights, closed my three window shades, turned off my seat massager and slept. I actually slept - not dozed but slept!

When I woke up I decided on a cup of tea - fancy cloth tea bags in a pot with a little pot of honey. And of course s few Belgium chocolate - from the same shop I went to all that time ago in Brussels. The best shop of course.

IMG_2961.JPG

But of course there was a big basket of assorted snacks and chocolates, right under the fresh orchid. I also have a little pop up bar of soft drinks and juices.

Then I thought I needed another Dom! Just a half - I don't want to waste it. The guy laughed and filled up my glass!

I always used to say that if I won millions I still wouldn't travel First Class - Business would be enough. What a lot of rubbish that was. It would be first class every time!

IMG_2972.JPG

The suite was so big. It was as big as probably 6 economy seat.

IMG_2967.JPG

We landed in Bangkok for a short time then back onto the plane.

This leg was the long leg - about 10 hours and it was not long enough.

I ate more, had another Dom (cause I could! I even had a Mojito!), watched a few more movies on my huge screen and had another sleep.

When I woke up we were starting to descend. "I suppose I am too late to get some breakfast" I asked. "Of course not...we will just have to be quick".

I cannot express how wonderful this method of travel was.

It was amazing!!!!!

We arrived in Sydney and I had to transfer to the domestic terminal for my final flight home. Sydney now has a new passport system where you stick your passport into a machine, stare into the camera...and that's it...away you go. Took at least 20 seconds. What a pity I didn't need too use the "Express pass" that takes you to the front of the line.

Sadly my flight was on a tiny little Dash 8 lane so no first class. Squashed into an economy seat.

I arrived in Canberra and as I walked down to the luggage was the man with the sign waiting for me. My ticket included a chauffeur driven lift home! He picked up my very heavy luggage and then carried it to the front door!

So travelling first class - what a ridiculously amazing way to finish my Epic Journey. It was so good.

As a note - this ticket would have cost me $11,000 Australian dollars. So far out of my price range!!!!!! Yay for collecting airline points!

I was home. Tired from nearly six weeks if travel - but happy and relaxed. No sore, no swollen legs. Amazing.

I really am the luckiest person.

What a truly "Epic Journey" I had.

I saw so many amazing things, met so many lovely people, saw so many different countries and ticked many things of my list. I didn't get taken by pirates, didn't get hit my a missile, didn't get run over and survived the 'different' road conditions in many countries. I had tears at a few places and joy at many others.

I cannot name a 'best thing', I believe that is impossible to name one experience.

I visited my 51st country! I have now visited more than 25% of this amazing world we live in.

Now to look forward to my next trip.

Travelling with my Dad - who turns 90 in a few weeks. We are on Legend from Singapore to Hong Kong then back to Brisbane in November.

Hopefully I will blog again and will 'see' some of you then.

Thanks for joining me and for your support. I hope some of this is helpful to some of you if you are looking at travelling to some of these places.

It was an amazing part of the world!

Cheers

Raina!

Raina,

Thank you for the pictures of Istanbul. In 2012 we were booked on a Voyager cruise that was scheduled to spend 2 days in Istanbul but got cancelled when they moved Voyager to China. You went to many of the places we planned to visit so at least I have seen them through your eyes. :)

Thank you Raina. I have LOVED reading your reports. With my son and family living in India it felt like a connection to them. Now we are preparing to fly to Istanbul on Wednesday for 2 nights before boarding Rhapsody on Friday. Reading your descriptions of the travels have really whetted my appetite for the trip. As for 1st Class, well done you. Only in my dreams. ;)

Corinne

Thank you for taking the time to post, especially all the photos. I felt like I was on the journey with you, from feeling the heat in India to enjoying the luxury of your flight home. I look forward to your next post. Until then I hope you get settled in back home very quickly.

Thank you so very much for taking me with you on your Epic journey. I have seen, through your eyes, words and photographs, some places I'll never have the chance to visit. Have also had the chance to revisit a familiar place or two - the Dead Sea being one of them. Wonderful, enjoyed every word and picture.

Raina-an EPIC journey and an EPIC review-thank you!!

That flight service in 1st Class back to Sydney-amazing luxury there.

Looking forward to your next review!

Cheers!

Norris