Camera people! Where do you put your not waterproof camera when you are in the ocean?

We are going to Bermuda early June (Tobacco Beach) and I am going with my two adult daughters. I don't intend to be in the water all day (I'm not a water baby as they both are!). I may go in and out 2-3 times during the course of an all day adventure there.

I'm going to rent a chair and will put my towel, magazine, etc on it when I'm in the water. I plan on taking some wonderful photos of the beautiful ocean and surroundings, but what the heck do I do with my camera? It's not a small digital one. It's larger than that (not one of the huge professional ones either). Is it safe to leave it on my chair?

I've cruised before, but have never brought my camera to the ocean, but I'd really like to take some shots there. Do you think it's safe to bring it?

Any advice?

Thanks

Put it out of sight, it you're leaving it unattended. No one wants the photos, but they might like the camera itself!

Most folks will bring a cheap, disposable camera, if they have to leave it unattended.

I bought a small little Canon elph on eBay for $40 that I use for situations like that. It's tiny, slightly bigger than a deck of cards so it's easily hidden under a towel and takes surprisingly good pictures. I would definitely be irritated if it did get stolen, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Just remember to swap memory cards or download your pictures.

I saw a neat 'suncream safe' online which looked like a bottle of suncream but opened up and had space to store valuables inside. Would only fit a small camera or phone though. I'm considering getting one to put cards and cash in, but we have a waterproof camera so that comes in the sea with us!

I saw a neat 'suncream safe' online which looked like a bottle of suncream but opened up and had space to store valuables inside. Would only fit a small camera or phone though. I'm considering getting one to put cards and cash in, but we have a waterproof camera so that comes in the sea with us!

Wow, I would be interested in buying that "suncream safe" myself, what a great idea!!! But I am having problems finding it online, is there someway you could give me some hints, without posting a direct link (since advertising is not allowed here)....? Please! :)

Wow, I would be interested in buying that "suncream safe" myself, what a great idea!!! But I am having problems finding it online, is there someway you could give me some hints, without posting a direct link (since advertising is not allowed here)....? Please! :)

Google 'tan safe beach safe' and you'll find it! Not sure about sites that ship to Norway but there's a big name gadget site that sells it so I imagine they ship worldwide :)

Google 'tan safe beach safe' and you'll find it! Not sure about sites that ship to Norway but there's a big name gadget site that sells it so I imagine they ship worldwide :)

I found it - thank you!!! But it didn't help much, since unfortunately they don't ship that specific product to Norway, for some reason.... :mad:

EDIT: But I did however find it sold through a Norwegian online shop as well - so I am happy. :D

NEW EDIT: Not so happy anymore - they were sold out...

But thank you anyway - I appreciate that you took your time to reply to me.

Edited by TrumpyNor

:cool:

I found it - thank you!!! But it didn't help much, since unfortunately they don't ship that specific product to Norway, for some reason.... :mad:

EDIT: But I did however find it sold through a Norwegian online shop as well - so I am happy. :D

NEW EDIT: Not so happy anymore - they were sold out...

But thank you anyway - I appreciate that you took your time to reply to me.

I just found it on Amazon using 'tan safe beach safe' so try there! Not sure if this post will get deleted for mentioning the name but hopefully you will see it first :p Also try eBay. Plenty of places to get it in the UK, there must be one for Norway!

:cool:

I just found it on Amazon using 'tan safe beach safe' so try there! Not sure if this post will get deleted for mentioning the name but hopefully you will see it first :p Also try eBay. Plenty of places to get it in the UK, there must be one for Norway!

Yes, the first one you mention is actually where I tried first, they do ship most products to Norway, but for some reason the tan safe thing is an exception... But I have asked the Norwegian company that normally has it (but was sold out), to notify me when they have it in storage again.

PS: That means that you now can edit your last post, and delete the name... ;)

Edited by TrumpyNor

Yes, the first one you mention is actually where I tried first, they do ship most products to Norway, but for some reason the tan safe thing is an exception... But I have asked the Norwegian company that normally has it (but was sold out), to notify me when they have it in storage again.

PS: That means that you now can edit your last post, and delete the name... ;)

Seeing as I'm being 'naughty' :rolleyes: and naming places, they have it on firebox (although for pre order for the end of the month) and I'm pretty sure they deliver internationally! Unless there's some kind of ban on the international shipping of fake tan bottle safes that only amazon seems to know about :p

Seeing as I'm being 'naughty' :rolleyes: and naming places, they have it on firebox (although for pre order for the end of the month) and I'm pretty sure they deliver internationally! Unless there's some kind of ban on the international shipping of fake tan bottle safes that only amazon seems to know about :p

Yes, I actually found that web page as well, while I was searching for a Norwegian page....

I don't have one personally, but I have seen numerous posts on Cruise Critic about the Kyss bags. They can be locked closed and anchored to a beach chair, umbrella pole, cabana railing or other stationary object.

Thanks for the idea!

Whenever I'm visiting the beach on a cruise, I bring my stuff (towel, camera, phone, ect...) in a plastic grocery store or Target bag, not one of those fancy beach type bags. So far no one has ever messed with any of my stuff, ever...

We are going to Bermuda early June (Tobacco Beach) and I am going with my two adult daughters. I don't intend to be in the water all day (I'm not a water baby as they both are!). I may go in and out 2-3 times during the course of an all day adventure there.

I'm going to rent a chair and will put my towel, magazine, etc on it when I'm in the water. I plan on taking some wonderful photos of the beautiful ocean and surroundings, but what the heck do I do with my camera? It's not a small digital one. It's larger than that (not one of the huge professional ones either). Is it safe to leave it on my chair?

I've cruised before, but have never brought my camera to the ocean, but I'd really like to take some shots there. Do you think it's safe to bring it?

Any advice?

Thanks

I would not leave an expensive camera unattended. Either buy a waterproof camera (I do have one) or buy a waterproof bag to put the camera in and then take it with you.

I've seen several in the $30 to $40 range that will work (test it when you first get it and each time before you use it). Just search for "waterproof+camera+bag". If you don't use the plus signs "+" you will get a lot of hits on things you don't want (such as a camera bag that is not waterproof).

Here are some examples - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/703923-REG/OverBoard_OB1005BLK_Waterproof_Dry_Tube_Bag.html

Edited by Cuizer2

I would not leave an expensive camera unattended. Either buy a waterproof camera (I do have one) or buy a waterproof bag to put the camera in and then take it with you.

I've seen several in the $30 to $40 range that will work (test it when you first get it and each time before you use it). Just search for "waterproof+camera+bag". If you don't use the plus signs "+" you will get a lot of hits on things you don't want (such as a camera bag that is not waterproof).

I actually purchased one of those waterproof camera cases for my small, digital camera last year (they have them in various sizes) before going parasailing at Great Stirrup Cay, and I am very content with it. :)

IMG_8424.JPG.e1a804367a0f1ba51ff6299b476d4a86.JPG

Here are some examples - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/703923-REG/OverBoard_OB1005BLK_Waterproof_Dry_Tube_Bag.html

Thanks. I saw some similar ones on Amazon and while everyone was saying how awesome they were, most people seemed to agree that they aren't designed/guaranteed to be waterproof while they are SUBMERSED in the water (as it would be if I had it while I was swimming). Any thoughts?

Thanks. I saw some similar ones on Amazon and while everyone was saying how awesome they were, most people seemed to agree that they aren't designed/guaranteed to be waterproof while they are SUBMERSED in the water (as it would be if I had it while I was swimming). Any thoughts?

I have one that is designed to be waterproof. You want one that is waterproof when under water and not one that is water resistant.

Either that, or get a waterproof camera.

Edited by Cuizer2

I have one that is designed to be waterproof. You want one that is waterproof when under water and not one that is water resistant.

Either that, or get a waterproof camera.

I actually purchased one of those waterproof camera cases for my small, digital camera last year (they have them in various sizes) before going parasailing at Great Stirrup Cay, and I am very content with it. :)

Mine (the one on the photo on page one of this thread), is waterproof for use UNDER water... The price was around $50, but that was in Norway, so I am guessing that it might be cheaper in the US.

Here is one designed for using a camera underwater. However, if you only want it to protect the camera while under water, then you can purchase a waterproof bag that is less expensive ...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/547694-REG/DiCAPac_WPS10_WP_S10_Waterproof_Case.html/prm/alsVwDtl

Here are some that are designed to be waterproof under water, but not designed to operate your camera under water ...

http://usstore.aquapac.net/explore-product-range/waterproof-camera-cases.html?waterproof_rating=28_29

Here is a link to the home page for Aquapac (in the USA) - http://usstore.aquapac.net/

Edited by Cuizer2

Here is one designed for using a camera underwater. However, if you only want it to protect the camera while under water, then you can purchase a waterproof bag that is less expensive ...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/547694-REG/DiCAPac_WPS10_WP_S10_Waterproof_Case.html/prm/alsVwDtl

Here are some that are designed to be waterproof under water, but not designed to operate your camera under water ...

http://usstore.aquapac.net/explore-product-range/waterproof-camera-cases.html?waterproof_rating=28_29

Here is a link to the home page for Aquapac (in the USA) - http://usstore.aquapac.net/

You are very kind to take the time out of your day to help me. Thanks again!:)