train to Florence on a Sunday

realtrip

We have two options: livornonow offers a shuttle for 30 euro. It leaves Livorno at 9:30 ( arrive in Florence at 11:15 and leave at 3:45). It is just transport, no guide.

option2 ; the train but there are not many trains on Sunday. We are docked from 8 am to 7 pm sailing on NCL Jade. The train I found was at 9:10 ( not sure we would make it though as we have to shuttle out of port and then take a bus to train station). next train gets us to Florence after 12. ( 18 euro return)

advice? Does NCL usually dock/let folks off earlier than 8?

Thanks!

Edited by realtrip

Last summer, we had planned to take a taxi to the train station, but for whatever reason there were none available when we needed it. So we took the bus to the center of town, and then another bus to the train station. (A fellow passenger got all hyper when she thought we were supposed to get off...most others followed her, only to be told by the driver the train station was the next stop!). This ordeal took a few minutes. We missed the train to Pisa/Florence by 1 minute! Had to wait nearly an hour for the next train. On our previous trip we barely missed it, too. Even with the most meticulous planning, some things are out of your control.

I've said it before, but it takes almost as much time and money just to get to the station as it does to get from the station to Florence! But it's so worth it.

My patience is waning with the train option. Friends have enjoyed a wonderful time with a private driver or roll call group. Explore all your options, these boards have some great suggestions. Not sure I would risk the train if there was such a big gap between your first choice and your backup. This is one port that is not to be missed. One thing I've learned in this region: plan, but be flexible!

Enjoy your cruise!

Lets try to put some logic and facts in the post. Regarding Sunday morning trains from Livorno to Florence there are regional trains at 7:30, 7:43, 8:12 and 8:52 and they take from 1:20 to about 1:40 (depending on the actual train) to get you to Florence. So, during the prime hours of 7:30 to 9 you have 4 trains..none of which require any reservations! Even that 8:52 train will have you in Florence at 10 am....long before the silly bus (and yes, we find that bus schedule somewhat silly due to its hours). If the ship is docked at 7 we usually have been able to make the 7:42 which has us in Florence before 9:30. And even if you miss that train the 8:12 gets you to Florence at 9:32!

As to return trains (starting at 3pm) you have trains at 3:12, 3:40, 4:08 and 4:52! Keep in mind that the schedules can change sightly as you near the big day so always check the schedule in the train station on the day of your trip!

The major problem using the train to Florence (on any day of the week) is getting a taxi to take you from the ship to the train station. So its best to be among the first off the ship (in the morning) and then head directly to the taxi queue. At this point you need to be politely assertive and make it known that you need a taxi to the train station (stazione). Most of the time there will be at least one driver who will do the short trip and other times you might have to keep making yourself heard and ask for help (we have had taxis call for other taxis). The taxis usually want 25 Euros to go to the station, but if you have 4 (or more in the taxi) the cost is reasonable.

Hank

P.S. For the doomsayers we would note that the Sunday train schedule is nearly identical to the weekdays in both time and frequency.

P.P.S. When using the Trenitalia online schedule (the only schedule one should fully trust) keep in mind that they do not post their full schedule more then a few weeks in advance. So if checking a particular day of the week look at a current schedule with the assumption that it will be similar in the future. Then re check within a couple of weeks of your trip.

Edited by Hlitner

I have no experience but I am thinking of this bus option also. We berth in Livorno for 12 hours.

Super. We are cruising in mid July. (July 19th in Florence). If you cruise before and opt for this will you let us know how it goes, please.

Lets try to put some logic and facts in the post. Regarding Sunday morning trains from Livorno to Florence there are regional trains at 7:30, 7:43, 8:12 and 8:52 and they take from 1:20 to about 1:40 (depending on the actual train) to get you to Florence. So, during the prime hours of 7:30 to 9 you have 4 trains..none of which require any reservations! Even that 8:52 train will have you in Florence at 10 am....long before the silly bus (and yes, we find that bus schedule somewhat silly due to its hours). If the ship is docked at 7 we usually have been able to make the 7:42 which has us in Florence before 9:30. And even if you miss that train the 8:12 gets you to Florence at 9:32!

As to return trains (starting at 3pm) you have trains at 3:12, 3:40, 4:08 and 4:52! Keep in mind that the schedules can change sightly as you near the big day so always check the schedule in the train station on the day of your trip!

The major problem using the train to Florence (on any day of the week) is getting a taxi to take you from the ship to the train station. So its best to be among the first off the ship (in the morning) and then head directly to the taxi queue. At this point you need to be politely assertive and make it known that you need a taxi to the train station (stazione). Most of the time there will be at least one driver who will do the short trip and other times you might have to keep making yourself heard and ask for help (we have had taxis call for other taxis). The taxis usually want 25 Euros to go to the station, but if you have 4 (or more in the taxi) the cost is reasonable.

Hank

P.S. For the doomsayers we would note that the Sunday train schedule is nearly identical to the weekdays in both time and frequency.

P.P.S. When using the Trenitalia online schedule (the only schedule one should fully trust) keep in mind that they do not post their full schedule more then a few weeks in advance. So if checking a particular day of the week look at a current schedule with the assumption that it will be similar in the future. Then re check within a couple of weeks of your trip.

Thank you for the info! Fabulous. I can't seem to figure out the train web site.:confused:

Last summer, we had planned to take a taxi to the train station, but for whatever reason there were none available when we needed it. So we took the bus to the center of town, and then another bus to the train station. (A fellow passenger got all hyper when she thought we were supposed to get off...most others followed her, only to be told by the driver the train station was the next stop!). This ordeal took a few minutes. We missed the train to Pisa/Florence by 1 minute! Had to wait nearly an hour for the next train. On our previous trip we barely missed it, too. Even with the most meticulous planning, some things are out of your control.

I've said it before, but it takes almost as much time and money just to get to the station as it does to get from the station to Florence! But it's so worth it.

My patience is waning with the train option. Friends have enjoyed a wonderful time with a private driver or roll call group. Explore all your options, these boards have some great suggestions. Not sure I would risk the train if there was such a big gap between your first choice and your backup. This is one port that is not to be missed. One thing I've learned in this region: plan, but be flexible!

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks! I can't wait to see Florence. Last time we went to Pisa and Lucca. We did the train then, had a small issue but it worked out ( being so close to the port was reassuring), now being so far away kind of freaks me out. Hence the bus option.

realtrip,

You may want to check out this thread: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187897-i2238-k6163006-Livorno_to_Florence-Livorno_Province_of_Livorno_Tuscany.html

It was started a few years ago, but gives first-hand accounts of various options. You spoke of wanting to get an early start and I believe there are more options that would give you additional time in Florence, if you so desired.

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy your trip!

Thank you for the info! Fabulous. I can't seem to figure out the train web site.:confused:

Let us know what is confusing you and some of us can try to help you find your way through the site. Once you get the hang of it, it really is extremely easy.

Edited by slidergirl

Let us know what is confusing you and some of us can try to help you find your way through the site. Once you get the hang of it, it really is extremely easy.

Ok, here it goes. when I put a fictional date ( Sunday, May 17th) Our date doesn't show up so I'm hoping that another Sunday would be basically the same (as per Hank's suggestion).

This is what I get: 9:10 train, gets to Florence (Firenze sm at 10:46) but it shows it can't be purchased. Does this means it can't be purchased online or that it is sold-out?.

Then the next train ( in case we miss the 9:12) is at 9:30, this one shows a train change and it's 2 hours and 20 minutes! Plus it's 20 euro, yikes. The next one is at 10:01 again with a change and 2 hours. Hanks sees better times than I do. What am I reading wrong?). I see the train Hank has mentioned at 8:52 ( also can't be purchased online or unavailable??) but I can't imagine we will be able to make it as we will be on NCL for the first time and are in inside cabins so not priority of any kind. The ship docks at 8.

As far as return goes, Hanks lists 4 fabulous times but I can only see two 3:00and 3:28, the next is at 5:28 which is cutting it way too close.

I really would appreciate some help figuring all this out:eek:

realtrip,

You may want to check out this thread: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187897-i2238-k6163006-Livorno_to_Florence-Livorno_Province_of_Livorno_Tuscany.html

It was started a few years ago, but gives first-hand accounts of various options. You spoke of wanting to get an early start and I believe there are more options that would give you additional time in Florence, if you so desired.

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy your trip!

Thanks; it was informative.

realtrip,

I certainly see your point about the bus being a more sure thing than the train on a Sunday. While I myself use the train, I do so knowing that on my first trip into Livorno, I was the first person off the ship and into a taxi and still missed my first option for the train by a few minutes and had to wait nearly an hour for the next one. See above for the 2nd trip where there were no taxis available.

From my search (June 7), I concur with you that if you don't make the trains in the 8 o'clock hour or the 9:12, your bus will get there first.

The 3pm (4:12 arrival Livorno) and 3:28 (4:48) trains appear to be your best options back, as you said. The 4:28 (5:48) train (if there is one) might cut it too close to your All Aboard. And there, too, your bus appears to give you more time.

It would be nice, though, if you had a transfer that could pick you up at 8am right at the port to give you more time in Florence.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by syesmar

On Sunday, June 7th, 2015, there will be trains from Livorno to Florence as follows:

7:30, arrive 9:07

7:42, arrive 9:22

8:12, arrive 9:32

8:52, arrive 10:00

9:12, arrive 10:46.

You must remember that these are regional trains and the schedule will not appear on line very far in advance.

If you want to wade through it, you can look at the planned trains for the entire year from the Livorno train station , by hour, here: https://prm.rfi.it/qo_prm/QO_Partenze_SiPMR.aspx?Id=1468&dalle=07.00&alle=07.59&ora=07.00&guid=620e1168-356a-4f18-82c2-7b76d82dc584

Edited by euro cruiser

It's probably only possible if you get a cab to the train station. The bus to the bus option simply takes too long ... and there won't be as many public buses running for the Piazza Grande to the train station (Piazza Dante) leg on a Sunday morning.

Ok, lets talk a little bit more about the Italian trains and perhaps some with even more knowledge (such as Euro Cruiser) can correct me to keep it honest :). In Italy you are dealing with several different type trains (all listed on the Trenitalia web site). The most basic are the Regional Local trains (listed as "Regionale) which are the basic local trains. There are also the slightly faster "Regionale Veloce" which make fewer stops than the Regionale. Both of these type trains (which are the majority of those between Livorno and Florence) are the same price, valid with the BIRG tickets, have no reservations, and do not normally allow for advance purchase of tickets. You can get tickets at the train station at either the ticket window or from vending machines. Tickets are also sold at many news kiosks around Italy...but this is not much help at Livorno. They do not limit the number of tickets sold for these trains (in fact, a ticket is good on any of the trains regardless of time) so no need to be concerned about a train being sold out. In the worst case a train could get so crowded that its standing room only (we have never had this happen between Livorno and Florence) but you would still get on the train.

There are other trains such as Frecciabianca, Intercity, etc which are high speed trains with few stops, higher fares, and required reservations. These trains do not accept the normal regional train tickets or the BIRG tickets and should generally be avoided by day-trippers just going to places like Florence. And by the way, if using the Trenitalia web site keep in mind that "Florence" is actually called "Firenze."

I noted that today, for some reason, the Sunday schedules for both 5/17 and 5/24 have disappeared from the Trenitialia site (the 5/31 sched is showing). One just needs to keep in mind that "ahhhhh it's Italy" and keep this kind of thing in proper perspective which means do what the Italian's do and shrug it off (you should do this with your hands).

Hank

P.S. If going between Livorno and Florence there is no need to get concerned about whether you get on a Regionale or a Regionale Veloce train. They both make the necessary stops in both Livorno and Florence.

Edited by Hlitner

Want to chime in with another tip on the train. Last year, we were in Pisa and the train platforms/bins coming TO and FROM Florence were "next to each other", ie, the passengers' waiting area for both was the same, with the 2 trains coming on opposite sides of the platform.

Although the platforms were clearly marked for the final destination, the side door of the train coming from Livorno to Florence had "Livorno" on its digital display. Not sure if this was a mistake, or an indication of point of origin, I'm guessing the latter. (To complicate this, both trains were set to arrive around the same time). But for those who had never taken this train, it was confusing and a number of passengers boarded the train heading to Florence when they were trying to get back to Livorno. Thankfully, someone directed them back off. Glad someone asked for clarification!

Passengers just need to be aware of their correct platform, and trust that platform (although, in my experience, occasionally there will be a change of platform announced over the speaker, but this is not the norm for most routes).