?? When a Ship Leaves Port ......

sail7seas

I've wondered for a while but always forget to ask a Captain when I have the opportunity to do so ........

When the ship leaves port, we (almost) always hear the ship's horn sounded. I've wondered if it is as a Thank You to the port for the hospitality? Is it a signal to other vessels in the harbor that the ship is moving? Some sort of courtesy to the port/harbormaster/pilots?

Or something else entirely?

CRUISE SHIP HORN SOUND SIGNALS

While on your cruise you will hear the huge horn blast. In case you are wondering what the ship's horn signals mean, here's how to decode them:

Sound signals are broken into two types, long and short horn blasts. A short blast lasts for 1 to 3 second and a long blast from 4 to 6 seconds.

> 1 long blast is a warning that the ship is about to move from a position and that the captain may be unable to see other boats. This signal is commonly used when leaving port.

> 3 short blasts mean the ship is backing out of a slip.

> 5 short blasts signify danger.

> 1 short blast and 2 short blasts signify intent and acceptance in overtaking (passing) situations.

On my first cruise, on the Maasdam, we sailed into St. Thomas at the same time as the Amsterdam, which was on the last leg of its world cruise. We left St. Thomas before the Amsterdam did, and the two ships tooted back and forth for quite awhile and the passengers all waved back and forth. Hubby caught this on videotape, it was quite funny to hear the two ships "salute" each other.

I also have heard nearby ship(s) reply when our vessel's horn is sounded when leaving port. Pretty neat. One that I got on video was when sailing the Regal Princess out of Oslo. Her identical twin (except for paint,) A'rosa Blu, was just entering port and they tooted back and forth for a couple of minutes. It was a treat to see the ships together.

The HAL ships frequently signal each other and/or the Port (authority), using the same "tune", when leaving Dutch territory, i.e. the Netherlands itself or the Netherlands Antilles.

It sounds something like seven short blasts (ta ta ta ta ta ...ta ta) which is usually answered by the other HAL ship

Wasn't it fun to hear them toot back and forth!

After we left St. Thomas, we headed for HMC. After dark, we saw the Amsterdam in the distance because of her lights. She passed us after leaving St. Thomas and made it to HMC before we did. I really like it when you can see other cruise ships on the horizon after dark. The wave action makes it look like they are floating or bobbing all over the place.

I also have heard nearby ship(s) reply when our vessel's horn is sounded when leaving port. Pretty neat. One that I got on video was when sailing the Regal Princess out of Oslo. Her identical twin (except for paint,) A'rosa Blu, was just entering port and they tooted back and forth for a couple of minutes. It was a treat to see the ships together.

The Glory and one of her sister ships got into a "tooting" match as we pulled out of Cozumel a couple weeks ago. It was funny, and all of us were out on the decks waving to each other.

As for warnings, I learned on Glory that seven short blasts and one long blast means get your life jacket and head for your muster station! :eek:

EVERY time we have sailed by the condos going out of FLL, the Captains have always sounded the horn for them. We always look forward to it......such a happy way to start our cruise. :)

We do too, I think it is soo much fun. There are so many HAL supporters in the condos.

100_0996.JPG.47e3cf89bdd4130c4cc7c027dc4facaa.JPG

Just a note, ladies and gentlemen:

A horn is something which might be used by the band in the Queen's Lounge.

The thing that gets blown when leaving port is a whistle.

Sorry, just one of those things that drives me nuts... Almost as much as people who are "going downstairs to their room on the second floor" ;) .

What can I say, I'm a nautical term snob!

I remember on our last cruise in the Western Caribbean we saw a ship on the horizon one night, but could not identify it. There is something quite beautiful about seeing a ship in the distance, all lit up, in the middle of the dark ocean.

We are scheduled to leave leave FLL and arrive at HMC at approximately the same time as the Vaandam. I'm hoping she'll be behind us and we'll be able to see her from our aft balcony!

Archived