The Norwegian iConcierge App...Can Anyone Please Tell Me About This App??

JPV072900

With all the extra convenience going on these days, it's worthwhile to use it just to check it at least once or twice per day to keep up with the charges, OBC and "adjustments," etc. to avoid standing in line at Guest Services on the night before disembarkation. That is, of course, not necessary if you trust & faith in them.

With all the extra convenience going on these days, it's worthwhile to use it just to check it at least once or twice per day to keep up with the charges, OBC and "adjustments," etc. to avoid standing in line at Guest Services on the night before disembarkation. That is, of course, not necessary if you trust & faith in them.

Wait for them to start charging 50 cents per sheet for a copy of your folio :eek:;)

I was looking at downloading I concierge but when you look at the reviews they are not favorable at all. Very few that liked it. Curious if anyone on the Med cruise used Viber or any of the other free texting/calling apps out there with success. I have Verizon but pretty pricy for the two of us that really only want to text or call if we get separated in port or on ship and need to get a hold of the other. Also only need to check email a couple of times during the week no surfing the web. Thanks!

Wait for them to start charging 50 cents per sheet for a copy of your folio :eek:;)

LOL, you are probably right - just a matter of time with the current regime. Let's keep it quiet but surely they already got ideas, use this APP to make it "green" or pay for the hard copy, just like the paper ticket/welcome kit are mostly gone. BIL/SIL just called me for help with OLCI for their upcoming Alaska sailing - not all cruise pax are tech geeks or walking around with an iPad or smartphone, etc. and they're beyond final payment when many of the changes rolled out as a group of seniors.

When we're on the Breakaway, it would say 90% of the pax weren't walking around with their mobile devices so in practice, very few are using iConcierge & far fewer to text or call others.

• 10 months later...
The iConcierge app keeps you informed about everything going on, lets you make reservations for Shore Excursions and more on board Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Jewel and Pride Of America.

You can access on-demand information and real-time services (free), including:

-Shore Excursions Previews and Bookings

-Restaurant Information with Menus and Bookings

-Folio Review

-General Information, such as Onboard Services, Spa Services, and Shopping

-Daily Activities Highlights

-Cruise Rewards Information

---------------------------------------------------------

(For fee)

-Messenger/Phone Features with Other Guests during your cruise (Nominal One-Time Fee During Cruise) $7.95 per device.

-Phone Calling with Family and Friends Back Home (Nominal Per Minute Fee During Cruise)

anyone use phone calling with family and friends back home? What was the nominal fee during cruise?

One problem I had with the app on my cruise on Breakaway was, although you could make reservations, you couldn't see them after they had been made. In other words, make sure you make a note somewhere else about where you are going and when. Your reservation does not show on the app and Guest Services confirmed that to me.

This isn't "definitive" and subject to change, but true as of last month on the Breakaway sailing - 79 cents per minute - on top of the one-time per sailing activation fee of $7.95 for the iConcierege charge to use the call/texting functions.

If SMS or texting is possible, costs are often lower since no cellular data are used, check with your mobile carrier about their current rates.

Quick question, who charges the $.79 per minute? Is it NCL or your individual cell phone carrier? Last year we sailed the Gem and I wanted to text my kids at home and I really didn't care the cost but unfortunately we had no service at all on our cell phone so we had to wait until in port.

Quick question, who charges the $.79 per minute? Is it NCL or your individual cell phone carrier? Last year we sailed the Gem and I wanted to text my kids at home and I really didn't care the cost but unfortunately we had no service at all on our cell phone so we had to wait until in port.

Per minute voice calling charges are by NCL, posted to your onboard stateroom account, as it used WiFi/ship's inTRAnet data (has nothing to do with your cellular carrier)

As for no services at all on your cell phone, I am guessing that you might have a prepaid USA only plan ?? (StraightTalk, Simple Mobile, Gophone, Net10, etc.) and these have no voice or SMS/texting services onboard, with exceptions - like an add-on roaming plan (typically, for Mexico & Canada only) Or, you did not have international or global calling enabled for your mobile #'s - or, one or more settings on your devices have blocked access while "roaming" away from your home rate area (which is for data only, but ... depending on the device)

See this CC article http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1752

iConcierge info & link to download - directly from NCL https://www.ncl.com/downloads/iconcierge

How to use it - a general guide by NCL

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/iCONCIERGE_062714.pdf

More info - https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/iCONCIERGE_ver5.pdf

If you plan to use the iConcierge App again and have trouble using it, see the ship's internet manager/staff during their limited office hours to get help, as they are usually helpful & can help/update your device's settings, if they could (popular ones like iPhone 5 or 6's and Androids like Samsung are easier)

Also, if you have a Google/Gmail account, you can do your voice calling & texting over WiFi as well as cellular data - however, onboard the ships - satellite connectivity is still essential as all that voice/data still has to be relayed, with NCL taking care of the costs involved and absorbing it by charging 79 cents a minute for voice.

Per minute voice calling charges are by NCL, posted to your onboard stateroom account, as it used WiFi/ship's inTRAnet data (has nothing to do with your cellular carrier)

As for no services at all on your cell phone, I am guessing that you might have a prepaid USA only plan ?? (StraightTalk, Simple Mobile, Gophone, Net10, etc.) and these have no voice or SMS/texting services onboard, with exceptions - like an add-on roaming plan (typically, for Mexico & Canada only) Or, you did not have international or global calling enabled for your mobile #'s - or, one or more settings on your devices have blocked access while "roaming" away from your home rate area (which is for data only, but ... depending on the device)

See this CC article http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1752

iConcierge info & link to download - directly from NCL https://www.ncl.com/downloads/iconcierge

How to use it - a general guide by NCL

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/iCONCIERGE_062714.pdf

More info - https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/iCONCIERGE_ver5.pdf

If you plan to use the iConcierge App again and have trouble using it, see the ship's internet manager/staff during their limited office hours to get help, as they are usually helpful & can help/update your device's settings, if they could (popular ones like iPhone 5 or 6's and Androids like Samsung are easier)

Also, if you have a Google/Gmail account, you can do your voice calling & texting over WiFi as well as cellular data - however, onboard the ships - satellite connectivity is still essential as all that voice/data still has to be relayed, with NCL taking care of the costs involved and absorbing it by charging 79 cents a minute for voice.

Actually, not a prepaid at all. I and Iphone 6 and have Sprint as the carrier. I called them prior to sailing and made sure I was able to make international calls. Then while sailing (to Canada) I had absolutely no service at all. Once we were in Canada I was fine I could use my phone but not at all onboard. I thought that was so strange but then again, I am not one to use the phone during a cruise only because my kids were home and I wanted to check in with them, did I need it.

Thanks for your feedback. Maybe with this app it will work this time.

• 5 months later...

Just beware that NCL can't even keep their live webcams for the fleet up, again ... this week. The free features remained free, but pricing for inTRAship calling & texting on the BA was at &9.95 in May, $12.95 on some and as high as &14.95 as reported. Maybe the SpeedNet upgrade are happening now & systems offline, but results are still mixed - and slow compared to RRL's Voom system or even CCL's.

As always, your experience & results will vary by the ship. If it doesn't work, demand a full refund.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288