Mariner Star Level

ninefishes

Can anyone tell me something about the Mariner star level?

We've cruised before with Princess, Disney and Celebrity, but new to HAL. We just booked our first HAL cruise in the coming August - 14 days Alaska. I know that previous Carnival Corporation ship sailings can get us a single star to start with, while people without Carnival Corp. experience will only receive their first star after the 1st HAL cruise.

That being said, when I logged into our account for online check-in (it's kind of early, just curious to know what's the difference between HAL and other lines, check-in wise), I found that DH and I both have one star beside our names and Mariner numbers, and DD has no star. She sailed with us on Princess before. Is this because she is a minor or just HAL missed that?

Any explanation is appreciated! :)

Now I found the answer. This is from Princess's website:

Question: Who is eligible to join the Princess Cruises Captain’s Circle?

Answer: All passengers 18 years and older automatically become part of the Princess Cruises Captain’s Circle upon completion of their first Princess cruise.

So DD doesn't have a number with Princess. Thanks, CruiserBruce! :)

Sorry, I was typing the above response when you were posting.

HAL permits minors to be Mariners Society Members.

Call or e-mail and ask them to issue your DD a number.

We have been on several cruises when 9 and 10 year old children have received their Bronze medals -- 100 actual days on HAL.

There are quite a number of very young children with lots of days on HAL. So much for the 'seniors only' theory about those who sail HAL ships. :D

There are quite a number of very young children with lots of days on HAL. So much for the 'seniors only' theory about those who sail HAL ships. :D

Wait a minute...I read on the Internet that only Old folks sail on HAL, so it has to be the truth. :D;)

We have been on several cruises when 9 and 10 year old children have received their Bronze medals -- 100 actual days on HAL.

But aren't the star levels and the medal levels 2 different categories? Also, do not think HAL separates minors from star awards as Princess. We have sailed with a 4-star 16-year old who's mom is a 5-star so its not like he is 'sharing' her star level.

I wouldn't bother trying to get DD a star before the cruise. All that really gets you is the Embarkation lunch and later Mariner Brunch, and I'm confident that no one would object to you bringing her to either meal.

Last year we sailed with a friend who had sailed on Princess but never got a star noted on her documents or key-card. She went with us to the Brunch and no one checked on anyone coming in.

The other thing to remember is that third and fourth passengers in a room might not receive cruise night credits in a given line's program.

They do on HAL. My two just became 2* and received their pin on our last voyage.

But aren't the star levels and the medal levels 2 different categories? Also, do not think HAL separates minors from star awards as Princess. We have sailed with a 4-star 16-year old who's mom is a 5-star so its not like he is 'sharing' her star level.

Yes, the Star levels and Medal levels are still different programs.

And HAL still gives out the medals when people achieve those levels. Which has to be actual sailing days. No points for spending or staying in suites which children don't get anyway. That is why I mentioned actual sailing days.

Thanks to all of you! :) I totally love this Forum.

I've told my TA to help solve this mystery, somehow she seems confused by this whole thing, i.e. she doesn't seem know that previous Princess passengers can start with one star with HAL. I think it's about time to stop using her. I'll definitely book online myself next time.

I think DD might want to have a pin, like sail7seas said. Well time to learn that there are disappointments in life. :)

I always thought that the youngsters were elderly HAL passengers whose odometers rolled over.

Oh POA, you are such a treasure.

:D :D Reincarnated.

I was a little worried that the odometer comment would upset people, but it was too funny to keep to myself.

Of course, the younger people have no idea what an analog meter is, so I guess that I'm getting a hashtag #shrug, or #huh?

I think I should report back about the end of the story. My TA talked to HAL, and they fixed the problem by adding a star to DD's status.

Just in case someone didn't read the whole thread: DH, DD and I booked our first HAL cruise in the coming August, we all sailed with Princess before. However only DH and I got a Mariner star and DD didn't. We are wondering whether that's because she has no Captain's Club number due to her age (She's 14, and Princess doesn't assign number to under 18's). And apparently age isn't an issue with HAL for granting Mariner stars.

The END.:)

Wait a minute...I read on the Internet that only Old folks sail on HAL, so it has to be the truth. :D;)

I always thought that the youngsters were elderly HAL passengers whose odometers rolled over.

Enough with the Jokes!.. :D

I laughed so hard over these two posts & spilled my drink on my lap.. :eek::D:D