Another cut Back this time Comedians

Daddyfto

Every other cruise we have been on have had 2 comedians on comedy night. This time on Carnival Victory only one which meant instead of the usual 4 shows two family friendly and two adult shared the comedian did one late show followed the next day by four shows the with only one being family friendly. I have nothing against the 18+ shows I just pack it in early and the comedians Don Grey on April 27th & 28th and Just June on April 30th and May 1st were great in the early shows and I heard from others that Just June was even funnier in her late shows. Not sure if this was a one off or the way its going to be.

My experience, though less recent, was just the opposite. On the Conquest in September, which was a 7 day cruise, we had 4 different comedians and 21 separate shows (8 early, 13 late). And on the Triumph in February, which was 10 days, we had 6 different comedians and 23 shows (10 early, 13 late).

I hope Carnival is not cutting back on their comedy, because it's one thing that helps to set them apart from other cruise lines.

My experience, though less recent, was just the opposite. On the Conquest in September, which was a 7 day cruise, we had 4 different comedians and 21 separate shows (8 early, 13 late). And on the Triumph in February, which was 10 days, we had 6 different comedians and 23 shows (10 early, 13 late).

I hope Carnival is not cutting back on their comedy, because it's one thing that helps to set them apart from other cruise lines.

I agree. I like the entertain in the theater on carnival more than Disney with thier shows or RCCL.

5 day and fewer have the same 2 comedians for the whole cruise. 6 and 7 day cruises will have 2 for the first half and 2 for the 2nd half. I have a friend who is a comedian for Carnival and he is staying busy. Carnival did have 2-3 comedians quit recently so maybe they haven't been able to get replacements.

We just got off the Paradise on Saturday. They had the same two comedians for the entire five night cruise. I think it was four shows each night except for two of the nights. One night there was no shows and one other night there was only one. There might have been a night in there with only two shows, don't have the FunTimes in front of me.

The one night with only one show was the only night that we TRIED to go to the comedy show. It was packed and we were turned away. This was because we stayed to watch the Liars Club. At the end of that show, which was about 5 minutes before the comedy show was to start, they mentioned not to miss the comedy show. Of course anyone still in the Normandie theater hearing that message didn't make it in to the comedy show. Many people were leaving the Liars Club early to go to the comedy show.

I never been done with dinner in time for the PG show. I enjoy the comedy shows on board as I do in comedy clubs at home. I do agree that sometimes they go too far but that's why there's a warning before each show. There is plenty of other entertainment on board for those who find these shows offensive. These boards are to inform us and bond over our love of cruising. I don't understand why someone would state their opinion then add that anyone who doesn't agree with them is unwise/ uneducated. There are a lot of us with advanced degree enjoying these shows. The OP asked a question and did not ask for a lecture. On my last Pride cruise there were two comedians. One PG at 7:30 then three adult shows.

5 day and fewer have the same 2 comedians for the whole cruise. 6 and 7 day cruises will have 2 for the first half and 2 for the 2nd half. I have a friend who is a comedian for Carnival and he is staying busy. Carnival did have 2-3 comedians quit recently so maybe they haven't been able to get replacements.

Ok that makes sense what threw me was the one comedian 4 shows in one night...so not a cut back just a different format probably as you mentioned

due to being down a few people and having to modify the schedules...

Apologize for the confusion ...thanks for clearing that up!

I was looking over some compasses on line and saw the schedule for comediennes on different cruises. It looks like family options are at 7. This does not work with early dining. It would be great if family shows were at 7 and 9 to allow families enjoy the comedy.

I too enjoy the comedy shows at the Punchliner. Unfortunately, there are way too many people who agree with me. :eek:

On our March 9 cruise (CCL Magic) the Punchliner was packed every night, for every show. If you wanted to see the show, you had to line up by 30 minutes before show time. That was for a crummy seat in the back. If you waned a good seat near the front, figure on 1 hr early to get near the front of the line.

At least the first 30 people in line are in the Piano bar so we got drinks and listened to the piano man for an hour every night.

We had 2 comedians, BTW, for a 6-day. There were a couple of nights where there were no comedy shows in the Punchliner and no main showroom show except a game show thing (maybe Love &Marriage or something). I didn't go. There was no headliner in the main theater at all for the entire cruise! We had 3 Song & Dance shows. The first night Intro show, only one showing, was so packed I don't think anyone from first seating dinner was able to get in. We didn't.

CCL entertainment is suffering cutbacks too, I agree.

I too enjoy the comedy shows at the Punchliner. Unfortunately, there are way too many people who agree with me. :eek:

On our March 9 cruise (CCL Magic) the Punchliner was packed every night, for every show. If you wanted to see the show, you had to line up by 30 minutes before show time. That was for a crummy seat in the back. If you waned a good seat near the front, figure on 1 hr early to get near the front of the line.

At least the first 30 people in line are in the Piano bar so we got drinks and listened to the piano man for an hour every night.

We had 2 comedians, BTW, for a 6-day. There were a couple of nights where there were no comedy shows in the Punchliner and no main showroom show except a game show thing (maybe Love &Marriage or something). I didn't go. There was no headliner in the main theater at all for the entire cruise! We had 3 Song & Dance shows. The first night Intro show, only one showing, was so packed I don't think anyone from first seating dinner was able to get in. We didn't.

CCL entertainment is suffering cutbacks too, I agree.

I agree, I think the comedy shows have outgrown the lounge they have them in. Looks like the late night shows should be moved to the main show room.

I was looking over some compasses on line and saw the schedule for comediennes on different cruises. It looks like family options are at 7. This does not work with early dining. It would be great if family shows were at 7 and 9 to allow families enjoy the comedy.

There are no other dining options except at 7????

We have always had an abundance of comedians on our cruises but they have been quite long ones so who knows.

As a feminist, Christian and generally open minded person I find 'adult' comedy (especially here in the UK where it gets ten times darker) a riot. We found certain adult comedians a little tame...some were all my wife jokes and using the odd swear word here and there...thats not even comedy. Although I can remember a rather sarcastic NY comedian cracking a joke about the Costa Concordia which got gasps apart from a few of us who chuckled. If you are over here you would not believe some of the routines and how dark they get but I do have faith in US humour after discovering Cards against Humanity.

I have learnt that humour is a common way to deal with the world's troubles and issues. Just because you laugh at a dark joke it does not make you a bad person or a believer in that idea...its just an outward way of dealing with it. My university friend who does comedy full time including the Edinburgh Fringe has a 'sexually harassing pond ducks' and worse but hes the softest and gentlest northern bloke I know.

BTW For those generally insulting people of faith and deciding its just ok to criticise everything they believe in its just as bad as people of 'faith' judging you....really not cool guys. Its important to understand that what may seem trivial to you is incredibly significant to others and I include myself in that. Although also not happy with the christian lady calling different views uneducated but there you go...

Edited by Velvetwater

• 4 weeks later...
Duh! There is a disclaimer before the show that says something to the effect of "If you are easily offended, this show may not be for you." :rolleyes:

I get easuly offended, Carnival should put the most offensive joke in the disclaimer so that way I can gauge if I should see the show or not.

There are no other dining options except at 7????

So everyone should have late dining? Since many families opt for early dining as kids need to be fed at an earlier time. Seems the family friendly shows are during early dining time. Looks like poor planning on Carnival not the families themselves.

I get easuly offended, Carnival should put the most offensive joke in the disclaimer so that way I can gauge if I should see the show or not.

Maybe they should put the entire routine in the funtimes for you to judge:confused:. How the heck would they know which joke would be offensive to you? Really, if you are easily offended, then don't go. Humor is subjective and a lot of "punchline humor" is off the cuff which cuts along the grain at times. Def does not sound like it works for you. Happy cruising.:)