What happens if someone doesn't pre-pay their tips before final payment?

I just hope that the staff does NOT miss out on their tips due to poor planning. The staff deserve to be paid for their services. Please talk with your Son and make sure they can afford this cruise.

P.S. We are available to go in their place. LOL Very nice gift! We are envious. I hope your kids appreciate you both.

We are doing MTD and the Gratuities are already factored into our total cruise price, so there is no date for paying that differantly. As I pay off the cruise, this will include the gratuities. I am not following why some have to pay ahead of time. Could it be because they booked directly vs a TA?

My Invloce lists as follows:

Cruise Price X $

Port fees/ Tax X $

Gratuities X $

Total

MTD began before automatic tips. Since people with MTD didn't have an assigned table or waitstaff, Royal Caribbean chose to have tips pre-paid as we were still given the option to use envelopes and pay on our own. As I remember, if you wanted automatic tips you had to turn in a signed form to Guest Services. My assumption is they wanted to be sure that the MTD waitstaff weren't "stiffed" on their tips. A few years later Royal Caribbean began "automatic tips" for everyone. Your account is charged daily on board. There has been lots of "conspiracy theories" batted around as to why pre-paid tips are still required for MTD, but IMHO it's just a matter of not adjusting the computers, etc. On Quantum it was all MTD and tips were not pre-paid. But to answer your question I believe it's only because MTD came before automatic tips.

Ok so here's the story on why the tips are only due for the 4th cabin. Our TA already had us all booked and paid in full with early seating in the MDR for 9 of us BEFORE my stepson and his wife decided that they would go with us on the trip. On Halloween my husband asked him again if they wanted to go and they still weren't sure. At Thanksgiving they said yes they would join us and when I went to book a room for them it had gone up by $1,000! My stepson is very prideful and likes to stand on his own two feet, providing for his family and not taking anything from anyone. This gift is very hard for him to accept. His wife on the other hand has no problem with it lol. He asked for a breakdown of costs so he knew what they would have to pay. I held a meeting with all of them where I told them (the adult children with spouses and kids) that Royal charges $12.00 per person per day and that alcohol & soda were not included. The only option available for dinner was MTD for them. My stepson insisted he would pay the tips himself so my TA reserved their room and told us they had until May 7th to take care of it. That's why it was still open.

Anyway, I emailed my TA yesterday with my credit card info and told him to take care of it. I didn't want to have to worry about it. My husband said his son texted him and said he hated having to ask (the pride thing) but he would pay him back in 3 weeks. We're not going to take it back. They can use it to buy drinks or whatever onboard.

Also since my husband paid for the cruise, I paid for everyone to go to Atlantis. If you all know the price Royal charges to get in you know how much it costs to take 13 people! Well 12. My 2 year old grandson was free! Lol

Ok so here's the story on why the tips are only due for the 4th cabin. Our TA already had us all booked and paid in full with early seating in the MDR for 9 of us BEFORE my stepson and his wife decided that they would go with us on the trip. On Halloween my husband asked him again if they wanted to go and they still weren't sure. At Thanksgiving they said yes they would join us and when I went to book a room for them it had gone up by $1,000! My stepson is very prideful and likes to stand on his own two feet, providing for his family and not taking anything from anyone. This gift is very hard for him to accept. His wife on the other hand has no problem with it lol. He asked for a breakdown of costs so he knew what they would have to pay. I held a meeting with all of them where I told them (the adult children with spouses and kids) that Royal charges $12.00 per person per day and that alcohol & soda were not included. The only option available for dinner was MTD for them. My stepson insisted he would pay the tips himself so my TA reserved their room and told us they had until May 7th to take care of it. That's why it was still open.

Anyway, I emailed my TA yesterday with my credit card info and told him to take care of it. I didn't want to have to worry about it. My husband said his son texted him and said he hated having to ask (the pride thing) but he would pay him back in 3 weeks. We're not going to take it back. They can use it to buy drinks or whatever onboard.

Also since my husband paid for the cruise, I paid for everyone to go to Atlantis. If you all know the price Royal charges to get in you know how much it costs to take 13 people! Well 12. My 2 year old grandson was free! Lol

Instead of doing the excursion for Atlantis through Royal take a look at booking a room at the Comfort Suites next door. It gives you full access to the waterpark. We booked this last March and for the 4 of us the room cost $360 total including taxes. You can check in at 8am and check out right away if you don't want to go back to check out later. Taxis there and back are cheap and this way you can go and leave when you want and not when the tour is.

Room rates can vary depending on the time of the year and I have heard that you can have up to 6 in a room.

papaflamingo, we have always gone main dining and only went to MTD for our upcoming cruise. We also have tipped extra to our wait staff and room steward because they work hard and deserve every $. What I seemed to be reading and could be wrong, several have mentioned that they are paying their tips ahead of time, so was trying to understand that, because on my statement, it is built into the total cruise price. As I pay the cruise off I am paying for the tips, $12/day X's 3 people for 14 days. The total is the same whether I pay it now or daily at cruise time. Am I reading it wrong that people can pre pay the tip separately from their cruise total.

So, sorry to muddy the waters of the OP's post, but now I'm confused and concerned. My cruise on Oasis in December 2015 is the first cruise we are doing MTD on. I booked thru a TA. TA didn't tell me about having to pre pay gratuities. In fact, the OBC that TA gave us is going to cover tips for the most part, so I considered that would be our tip money that we pay (daily, I presume?) from our account. Am I wrong? We have to prepay them? If so, why isn't it part of my cruise fare?

So, sorry to muddy the waters of the OP's post, but now I'm confused and concerned. My cruise on Oasis in December 2015 is the first cruise we are doing MTD on. I booked thru a TA. TA didn't tell me about having to pre pay gratuities. In fact, the OBC that TA gave us is going to cover tips for the most part, so I considered that would be our tip money that we pay (daily, I presume?) from our account. Am I wrong? We have to prepay them? If so, why isn't it part of my cruise fare?

Unless something has changed very recently, you should have to prepay tips when selecting MTD.

Ask your TA for Royal's Guest Copy of your booking invoice. It hows more detailed info than the typical TA invoice. You might see that you already have gratuities on your bill.

Edited by clarea

Unless something has changed very recently, you should have to prepay tips when selecting MTD.

Ask your TA for Royal's Guest Copy of your booking invoice. It hows more detailed info than the typical TA invoice. You might see that you already have gratuities on your bill.

It may be the issue related to the DD issue. When I booked, DD was in place and then it was "postponed" until "later" in 2015 and my reservation now shows MTD. Perhaps this made the difference. However, if the gratuities are indeed part of the fare (full) invoice, I'd be delighted without having known previously. Thanks!

It may be the issue related to the DD issue. When I booked, DD was in place and then it was "postponed" until "later" in 2015 and my reservation now shows MTD. Perhaps this made the difference. However, if the gratuities are indeed part of the fare (full) invoice, I'd be delighted without having known previously. Thanks!

Gratuities are not normally part of Royal's fare. I agree with you that your booking may have slipped through the cracks because it was initially assigned to DD. They may or may not catch it before your cruise.

Gratuities are not normally part of Royal's fare. I agree with you that your booking may have slipped through the cracks because it was initially assigned to DD. They may or may not catch it before your cruise.

Well, if they don't I'll bring it to guest relations' attention because I'd want to make sure the service people get their tips. Thanks!

Well, if they don't I'll bring it to guest relations' attention because I'd want to make sure the service people get their tips. Thanks!

If you don't prepay gratuities, they will automatically charge your onboard account on a daily basis.

If you don't prepay gratuities, they will automatically charge your onboard account on a daily basis.

And that would be my preferred way of doing it (plus, no standing in line at guest relations). Well, we'll see. In the end, I'll just be happy to get on that ship. 211 days and counting.

That is really sweet of you. It is hard when lifes issues get in the way, no one plans for job problems. I hope you all have a wonderful cruise.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful time....some of my best memories are from our first family trip to st john....baby learned to walk and the next time he learned to swim...money spent on family time is never wasted and congrats on raising a son who wants to be independent but able to accept help when it is needed!.....

papaflamingo, we have always gone main dining and only went to MTD for our upcoming cruise. We also have tipped extra to our wait staff and room steward because they work hard and deserve every $. What I seemed to be reading and could be wrong, several have mentioned that they are paying their tips ahead of time, so was trying to understand that, because on my statement, it is built into the total cruise price. As I pay the cruise off I am paying for the tips, $12/day X's 3 people for 14 days. The total is the same whether I pay it now or daily at cruise time. Am I reading it wrong that people can pre pay the tip separately from their cruise total.

Desert Cruisers, not sure I understand your question. If you have MTD you are required to pre-pay gratuities. If you have Traditional Dining you get charged daily on your account on board. The cost is the same, $12 per day. If you want, you can pre-pay your gratuities when you book and they will be shown on your invoice. But with MTD it's not an option, although there was a post saying that may have very recently changed. I know on Quantum pre-paid tips were not required, so maybe Royal Caribbean is stopping the mandatory for MTD requirement.

The reason it's built into your statement is the MTD. If you were Traditional it would not have been in the statement without your request. So, tips are not considered part of the "cruise cost" per se. They are an add on. If you want you can cancel them and not pay at all, pay by cash only like the old days, or pre-pay, or have them paid on your account daily. The crew is aware of who has pre-paid tips. They also, according to others, are made aware if tips are cancelled as Royal Caribbean wants to make sure there isn't a problem. Sometimes it's easier to just pre-pay them and not worry about it. Other times I just leave them on my daily account. But I, like you, always up the tips. I, too, feel the crew works damn hard and deserve more.

Hope I haven't confused you.

On my Statement from our TA, at the bottom, it is shows in this manner shown below. The gratuities are part of our Cruise total for myself, DH & Daughter. The prices are broken down per passenger in each column. I have no problem and fully understand if doing MTD then we pre pay the Gratuities. What I am trying to say is, are some having to pre pay their gratuities ahead of paying off their cruises, this is what I am probably misreading.

Cruise for passengers 1 thru 3

Gov't charges

Insurance

Pre Paid Gratuities

Total for each passenger

On my Statement from our TA, at the bottom, it is shows in this manner shown below. The gratuities are part of our Cruise total for myself, DH & Daughter. The prices are broken down per passenger in each column. I have no problem and fully understand if doing MTD then we pre pay the Gratuities. What I am trying to say is, are some having to pre pay their gratuities ahead of paying off their cruises, this is what I am probably misreading.

Cruise for passengers 1 thru 3

Gov't charges

Insurance

Pre Paid Gratuities

Total for each passenger

Yes, you're misreading a previous statement. Pre-payed Gratuities are due @ final payment, not before.

Desert Cruisers, not sure I understand your question. If you have MTD you are required to pre-pay gratuities. If you have Traditional Dining you get charged daily on your account on board. The cost is the same, $12 per day....

The reason it's built into your statement is the MTD.

And that's why it's confusing that the OP's stepson's stateroom had a balance, because they were set up with MTD and it should have all been paid with final payment. Though maybe the dad paid *before* final payment, and that's why there's a balance.