Questions about Permitted Appliances

Fizzer59

We are packing this weekend for our first ever cruise. Will be on the Zaandam 17-24 May. I understand that there are limitations on electrical outlets and what can be used. I am presuming that we can recharge devices etc but what about travel irons or steamers? I spent a decade of my formative years in the Army and to this day I am obsessive ( or so my wife would say) about everything being perfectly pressed and without creases that I didn't intend to be there. In hotel rooms there is always an iron and ironing board but I suspect not on the cruise. My question is will I be able to use a portable steamer, which is already a compromise in my opinion ;) . ( I've already been told I cannot take starch with me already by She Who Must Be Obeyed).

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Oh and my wife would like to use a hair straightener. Is that allowed? She didn't like my suggestion that I could have spray starched it for her if I was allowed to take the starch.

We are packing this weekend for our first ever cruise. Will be on the Zaandam 17-24 May. I understand that there are limitations on electrical outlets and what can be used. I am presuming that we can recharge devices etc but what about travel irons or steamers? I spent a decade of my formative years in the Army and to this day I am obsessive ( or so my wife would say) about everything being perfectly pressed and without creases that I didn't intend to be there. In hotel rooms there is always an iron and ironing board but I suspect not on the cruise. My question is will I be able to use a portable steamer, which is already a compromise in my opinion ;) . ( I've already been told I cannot take starch with me already by She Who Must Be Obeyed).

Oh and my wife would like to use a hair straightener. Is that allowed? She didn't like my suggestion that I could have spray starched it for her if I was allowed to take the starch.

no irons, no travel irons are permitted. The good news is that the ship has a laundry and there are irons and ironing boards there that can use if you don't want HAL to press for you (at a charge).

good news for your wife is there is no problem with a hair straightener or a curling iron :)

Fizzer59!

Congrates on first cruise! Zaandam has a special place in our hearts. Sailed 3times on her, great memories, and no travel irons.

Mine back in 2006 was taken and given back to me after our 14day a Hawaii cruise. You can have pressing done on the ship for a nominal fee. We have done that several times.

Enjoy your cruise, and welcome to our CC board!

Denise:)

No to the steamer as well. Here's the official HAL statement from their "Know Before You Go":

Please Note:

For safety reasons, travel irons, steamers,

and electric water heaters/kettles may not be used in your

stateroom.

As another poster mentioned there are laundry rooms that have irons and ironing boards. Important note: the last time I used an iron in one of the laundry rooms there was an automatic shut off that I needed to re-set several times.

Thanks to all. I thought I had read somewhere about irons and kettles but I didn't recall steamers. What's more I couldn't find the reference to it anywhere. I guess I'll have to trust things to HAL but that'll be hard perhaps. I have been doing all of the ironing in our home for years now ............................. ever since I commented gently on a double crease on a shirt sleeve.:o

I have been doing all of the ironing in our home for years now ............................. ever since I commented gently on a double crease on a shirt sleeve.:o

LOL! I don't even know your wife, but I like her :D

I have been doing all of the ironing in our home for years now ............................. ever since I commented gently on a double crease on a shirt sleeve.:o

Made me laugh. Early in my marriage, the smartest thing I ever did was flunk the ironing test. My spouse ironed all his stuff (and mine) until we could afford to send it out.

Thanks to all. I thought I had read somewhere about irons and kettles but I didn't recall steamers. What's more I couldn't find the reference to it anywhere. I guess I'll have to trust things to HAL but that'll be hard perhaps. I have been doing all of the ironing in our home for years now ............................. ever since I commented gently on a double crease on a shirt sleeve.:o

Fizzed 59,

LOL, I like you!!!

Your sense of humor reminds me of POA1!!!!!!

Hope you have a chance to meet him here!

Kazu,KK,Ranfinmd,Cruz chic I can go on are bret resources here that know everything?

PS Sails, also is awesome too!!

I like dry cleaners! LOL

Denise😄

........ I have been doing all of the ironing in our home for years now ............................. ever since I commented gently on a double crease on a shirt sleeve.:o

:D:D My how I wish my DH would make such a brilliant statement!! :D:D

HAL generally does an excellent job in the ironing department. Sharp creases, no wrinkles ... nice work. I would agree with those who suggest sending out your ironables to the HAL laundry. Watch your timing: there can be a 24-28 hour turnaround, so plan accordingly.

If you decide to use the passenger laundry, be aware that the iron/s and board/s are very limited. And there can be a line waiting to use them. Again, plan ahead (but with your military background that shouldn't be a problem...:) )

So the next question is is pressing included when we have laundry and dry cleaning included with our cabin?

As for at home I do the pressing/ ironing because:

1. I am actually better at it due to old habits dying hard.

2. When dividing household chores I agreed to ironing ( because I can watch sports/ TV while doing it ):cool:

So the next question is is pressing included when we have laundry and dry cleaning included with our cabin?

2. When dividing household chores I agreed to ironing ( because I can watch sports/ TV while doing it ):cool:

Yes, if you are in a neptune or pinnacle suite pressing is included, and they do a great job on it.

If laundry & dry cleaning are included in your cabin then you have pressing.

actually anything that comes back from laundry or drycleaning is pressed from our experience :)

From what I have been told, the self service laundry rooms were removed when she was in her recent dry dock.

Thus possibly no washing machines, no dryers, no irons and no ironing boards.

Looking at the deck plans I could not find any. I also looked at the Amsterdam deck plans and while I am pretty sure I used one in 2007, I found none on the deck plans.

Looking at the deck plans I could not find any. I also looked at the Amsterdam deck plans and while I am pretty sure I used one in 2007, I found none on the deck plans.

We used one on LP of Amsterdam in August 2010.