Dress Code

redwoods

Sorry to disappoint, but we will be casual. I just don't get the whole dress up thing. It is vacation after all.

Absolutely nothing wrong with 'casual' etexplore but the definition of the word 'casual' has been getting a little skewed recently :rolleyes:. Dress up to me infers formal attire and I think we both agree that formal has its place but should remain a dress code reserved for very special occasions - not dinner in a cruise ships restaurant where casual is generally well dressed enough ;)

Hey Tom, while I don't qualify as a badge carrying fashion cop, fashion police can always be found on Seaborne, Cunard and Crystal ;) I didn't know that the fashion police worked the Celebrity ships too?

Absolutely nothing wrong with 'casual' etexplore but the definition of the word 'casual' has been getting a little skewed recently :rolleyes:. Dress up to me infers formal attire and I think we both agree that formal has its place but should remain a dress code reserved for very special occasions - not dinner in a cruise ships restaurant where casual is generally well dressed enough ;)

Hey Tom, while I don't qualify as a badge carrying fashion cop, fashion police can always be found on Seaborne, Cunard and Crystal ;) I didn't know that the fashion police worked the Celebrity ships too?

Well, I've never cruised on Seabourn, Cunard or Crystal, but I can tell you that one reason I don't think I ever will is their dress policy (plus the cost, which is a little high for us given what we want from a cruise line.) I'm just not into dressing up any more, especially if it's expected more than once in a great while.

Lagunajames, thanks for the link to that video. I'm impressed that the person shot all that video. I didn't watch the whole thing (ended up fast forwarding a lot), but enjoyed what I did watch. Of course, toward the end he showed a lot of Iceland, which is on my bucket list, so now I'm itching to book a trip that goes there!

"Elegant casual" is certainly a weird description, but I took it to be what Oceania calls "country club casual." I'm assuming that for women, decent slacks and top or perhaps a sundress is perfectly fine; for men, khaki pants and top. It really doesn't take long to change from touring clothes to simple things like that, so I'm kind of hoping jeans, shortish capri pants and athletic shoes are worn at night in the World Cafe or Mamsens only. Then again, I suppose it's possible to dress up jeans to the point where they might be considered "elegant casual."

I am always confused by "Country Club Casual" What you described as CC Casual would be at my club caddie shack casual. For the evening, it is blazer, tie and long sleeved shirts, linen (summer) or fine wool slacks and real shoes. Never ever sneakers in the club house.

But different strata have different definitions for CC casual and so be it.

In addition to society at large becoming much more casual, I believe the change away from suits, tuxedos, etc for men, and ball gowns, etc for women is due to the airlines restrictive policies against more than one bag per person. Whereas we used to take 3-4 bags on a cruise, (including the flight) we no longer can afford the charges for taking more than one bag. We may not be elegant on the cruise but we will be nicely dressed. :)

"Whereas we used to take 3-4 bags on a cruise, (including the flight) we no longer can afford the charges for taking more than one bag".

So very true if not traveling in Business or First. Unfortunately, to sit in those seats costs almost as much as your cruise itself :eek:. Coach isn't exactly chump change these days either :mad:.

Anyone remember when ocean travel involved 'steamer trunks'? That was a time when dressing for dinner on the top ships (in first class) could involve tails for the men with their wives making up to four or five costume changes each day. Try that today with one bag per passenger :rolleyes:. The really high rollers traveled with their own personal dresser for those voyages that stayed in an adjoining cabin. The jet age put an end to that type of travel and eventually most dress codes as well.

• 9 months later...

What Viking calls casual elegant, we in U.S. Corporate America call business casual. And that is exactly what we've seen on all our cruises. Nice polo/sweater and khakis for men and sundress or dress capris with a nice top/sweater for women. The exceptions in the dining room at dinner time were only one or two couples who were extremely formal (IMHO) but they seemed to enjoy dressing and they did look very nice! But the point is that they were the exception, not the rule. I've never seen anyone on board Viking dress poorly. My definition of poorly is horrid printed tee shirts, tank tops, ripped jeans, ... you get the idea. That's the beauty of Viking --- casual and no demands for formal dress codes. The world is changing....and seriously not for the worse. We are all in very stressful work environments, always looking the best for success, etc. Vacation should be casual.

Sounds perfect

Currently on the Sea. Dress code for dinner in the restaurants is smart casual ....anyone turning up in shorts / tees are asked to change. Jeans ok. Haven't seen many men in jackets or any ladies in their best finery & jewellery. Everyone looks pretty smart without being over the top. Common sense prevails. In the World Cafe, tees & shorts are acceptable.

Currently on the Sea. Dress code for dinner in the restaurants is smart casual ....anyone turning up in shorts / tees are asked to change. Jeans ok. Haven't seen many men in jackets or any ladies in their best finery & jewellery. Everyone looks pretty smart without being over the top. Common sense prevails. In the World Cafe, tees & shorts are acceptable.

Wow ... jeans are ok ... that's good to know :)

Murron is correct. Clothing does not always make the person. For the most part, people on viking cruises always dress appropriate. And we are on vacation, I like to dress up in the evening and my husband is very happy in short sleeves and dress pants. It has nothing to do with position in society. On vacation, wear what makes you confortable and helps you to enjoy your vacation