News From Noordam - Pacific Coastal

Crew News

. Quick question... does the ship stay close enough to shore to get Non-Ship cell service? Just curious. Thanks!

We have remained 15 to 50 miles from the coastline. We did have a shore bird land on our verandah yesterday.

May 8 on the Noordam opened with sunlight and calm seas. We learned that 65% of the passengers are from Canada and a large number of them will be departing in Victoria. The arrival time in Victoria is now around 7:00 PM with passengers hoping to disembark at 8:00 PM thanks to the opportunity to increase speed in the calmer seas. It is strange to see luggage for disembarking passengers in the corridors during the day.

With calm seas, passengers are leaving their staterooms and the Lido Restaurant is now crowded for Breakfast and Lunch.

We attempted to order crepes for Room Service Breakfast and received pancakes instead. No crepe pan in the Room Service area was the reason. No cartons of milk are being served for Room Service Breakfast but milk is now served in a glass.

I posed the Caviar appetizer at the Pinnacle Bar without ordering a meal in the PG. The answer was “no” but the question was passed up to the Culinary Operations Manager for a final decision. It was agreed with the PG Manager that ordering just caviar would be a good idea.

The new carpeting in the rooms are very inviting to bare feet.

The service in the MDR has been swift and the waiters very friendly.

As requested on another thread, I shall be having the King Crab Legs in the PG tonight and will write my review the following day.

A group of 20 from HAL HQ will be on board tomorrow and in the PG at 7:00 for dinner. We have scheduled our PG dinner for 10 CC members for 5:30 PM to have our chocolate bomb desserts.

Souvenirs for Alaska are now in the Shops. The Shops’ Manager was on the Zuiderdam last July so we had a nice discussion of the heavy fog that trapped so many passengers on the hills around Juneau.

Internet speed is abnormally slow .and brings back memories of my dial-up account in the ‘90’s.

Very nice update, thanks! Love anything ALASKA so am eagerly following this thread. Is this your first time on the Noordam?

Edited by qsuzi

Mark is not Mark Pells....Hubby was on a dramamine and chocolatee overload when he said "Prells" Mark Pells is a Hotel Director, this Mark is the Cruise Director.

We got the Chocolate Purses because we asked the COM if it were possible. He asked when and how many and he made it happen:) I'm sure I can have them do it again next week:)

The Chocolate Ball/Bomb, we are thinking about Saturday evening. Embarkation Day in PG is usually the slowest day. How does 5:30 or 6:00 pm sound to you?

Joanie

Hi Joanie,as great as the purses sound ,i will have to pass as I'm with several other cruisers. We will be in the Pinacle at some point,but I just don't know when. For sure will see you for the M and G. I have long followed your posts. Are you on deck 5 or 6? I love the aft !!!!

Very nice update, thanks! Love anything ALASKA so am eagerly following this thread. Is this your first time on the Noordam?

2d time on the Noordam and this time, I'll do a much better photoraphic tour for those to follow.

Hi Joanie,as great as the purses sound ,i will have to pass as I'm with several other cruisers. We will be in the Pinacle at some point,but I just don't know when. For sure will see you for the M and G. I have long followed your posts. Are you on deck 5 or 6? I love the aft !!!!

The chocolate purses are served in the Main Dining Room for lunch or dinner per our choice. We still have 5 left that we will serve on our verandah, 7142, for the Vancouver sail away. tomorrow.

Edited by Crew News

2d time on the Noordam and this time, I'll do a much better photoraphic tour for those to follow.

I now see the Noordam in your list of cruises, sorry for not looking earlier - not my best day. lol You take some great photo's and I now we all appreciate seeing them.

Edited by qsuzi

The purses below will also be served to CC members next week on a sea day thanks to Andre, Dining Room Manager:

IMG_1329crop.jpg?i=1350202257

The Chocolate Bomb video has been provided to the PG Chef who will make the dessert for CC members in the PG next week in Alaska. Photos to follow.

thanks for the picture. I was starting to think the chocolate purse was an inside joke.

Welcome back, friend!! You have been missed.

Ditto: Are you still on the Noordam or did you get off in San Diego? I think you got off the Nieuw Amsterdam a couple weeks before I boarded in very early March. I know you were on the Noordam when I got on the NA. I was on the Noordam last November and I liked it a lot. I hope Pieter Bos is Master of the Oosterdam when I board in late June.

It is real good to be getting posts from yourself.

Himself

Edited by Himself

[ATTACH]348817[/ATTACH][ATTACH]348818[/ATTACH]

On the Noordam arriving in our home port of Vancouver. Bye to CrewsNews & IRL_Joanie! Have a great Alaska cruise-wish we were staying on.

Hope you enjoyed your cruise and the beautiful Noordam. :)

Hope you enjoyed your cruise and the beautiful Noordam. :)

We did for sure! I just got around to finally having decent time to post and thank you in my thread Sail that I started when on the Noordam.

Crew News, loving your thread and wishing we were on the trip to Alaska too.

We did for sure! I just got around to finally having decent time to post and thank you in my thread Sail that I started when on the Noordam.

Crew News, loving your thread and wishing we were on the trip to Alaska too.

It was our pleasure to finally meet you. Your presence added a special touch to our cruise.

Hi Crewnews have been looking for your thread.

Looking forward to the Alaska updates as we are heading there next month.

I have enjoyed the description of the Noordam. We have a Deck 5 veranda cabin.

It would be interesting to know If they have a vegetarian menu and if we have to give them advance notice?

Looking forward to your photos. What lens do you use any tips will be welcome.

Thank you for posting here and letting us travel with you.

Vin

May 8 on the Noordam opened with sunlight and calm seas. We learned that 65% of the passengers are from Canada and a large number of them will be departing in Victoria. The arrival time in Victoria is now around 7:00 PM with passengers hoping to disembark at 8:00 PM thanks to the opportunity to increase speed in the calmer seas. It is strange to see luggage for disembarking passengers in the corridors during the day.

With calm seas, passengers are leaving their staterooms and the Lido Restaurant is now crowded for Breakfast and Lunch.

We attempted to order crepes for Room Service Breakfast and received pancakes instead. No crepe pan in the Room Service area was the reason. No cartons of milk are being served for Room Service Breakfast but milk is now served in a glass.

I posed the Caviar appetizer at the Pinnacle Bar without ordering a meal in the PG. The answer was “no” but the question was passed up to the Culinary Operations Manager for a final decision. It was agreed with the PG Manager that ordering just caviar would be a good idea.

The new carpeting in the rooms are very inviting to bare feet.

The service in the MDR has been swift and the waiters very friendly.

As requested on another thread, I shall be having the King Crab Legs in the PG tonight and will write my review the following day.

A group of 20 from HAL HQ will be on board tomorrow and in the PG at 7:00 for dinner. We have scheduled our PG dinner for 10 CC members for 5:30 PM to have our chocolate bomb desserts.

Souvenirs for Alaska are now in the Shops. The Shops’ Manager was on the Zuiderdam last July so we had a nice discussion of the heavy fog that trapped so many passengers on the hills around Juneau.

Internet speed is abnormally slow .and brings back memories of my dial-up account in the ‘90’s.

We have a Deck 5 veranda cabin.

It would be interesting to know If they have a vegetarian menu and if we have to give them advance notice?

Looking forward to your photos. What lens do you use any tips will be welcome.

Thank you for posting here and letting us travel with you.

Vin

Let me know your cabin number, either here, or via the Contact Form on my website, and I will do my best to get pictures for you during our in-transit time in Vancouver.

Vegetarian items are noted on the MDR menus that will be on my website within a few days of my return home. I will ask about separate vegetarian menus.

I use my Olympus OMF-M1 with both 12-40 mm zoom and a 50-150 mm zoom. Of course my small Canon Powershot S100 for most on-board images.

Glad to answer questions that will help you prepare for your cruise.

Let me know your cabin number, either here, or via the Contact Form on my website, and I will do my best to get pictures for you during our in-transit time in Vancouver.

Vegetarian items are noted on the MDR menus that will be on my website within a few days of my return home. I will ask about separate vegetarian menus.

I use my Olympus OMF-M1 with both 12-40 mm zoom and a 50-150 mm zoom. Of course my small Canon Powershot S100 for most on-board images.

Glad to answer questions that will help you prepare for your cruise.

Thank you Cruise news.

Will you be doing any shore excursions if so who will you recommend for Whale watching in Juneau Harv's are booked up for our day!

vin

I hope you are enjoying your cruise. Apoligies Crew news for the spelling mistake above. Do the ports have free wifi in Skagway or Ketchikan? or places nearby. We are going to try and be gadget free for most of the cruise. But my father is not well. Hence need to send a quick message to him on port days.

Thank you.

vin

Thank you Cruise news.

Will you be doing any shore excursions if so who will you recommend for Whale watching in Juneau Harv's are booked up for our day!

vin

I do all of my excursions through HAL. The only difference in whale watching tours is ths size of the boat. All go to the same place for whale watching so the decision is how many folks do you wish to fight for a spot at the railing for pictures.

Of course the larger boats have more comforts than the smaller ones. I have been on both large and small with my preference being small to avoid tops of heads in my photographs.

I hope you are enjoying your cruise. Apoligies Crew news for the spelling mistake above. Do the ports have free wifi in Skagway or Ketchikan? or places nearby. We are going to try and be gadget free for most of the cruise. But my father is not well. Hence need to send a quick message to him on port days.

Thank you.

vin

All ports have free wifi. Just ask a crew member. I use the mobile hotspot on my ATT phone for internet in port. Cell phones work fine in Alaska populated areas.

I just wanted to acknowledge you Crew News for going above and beyond to answer questions, get pix, arrange special treats, and and you have been doing for other cruisers during your cruises on the Noordam.

I just wanted to acknowledge you Crew News for going above and beyond to answer questions, get pix, arrange special treats, and and you have been doing for other cruisers during your cruises on the Noordam.

We all have a good traveling experience when we have a comprehensive map. As one of the first CC members on the Noordam to Alaska, I feel a personal responsibility to mark the trail for those who follow. If I can help someone have a more informed cruise planning experience, I am happy to do so.

Sounds like you had the SBP on the last leg. If so, can you tell us what wines you could get in the MDR and PG that were included? We will have the pkg and while the drinks sound good, we are a little concerned about the wine options.

Am really enjoying your posts - thx so much!