Using chargers from the uk on Princess

sarar

I will be on the Caribbean Princess tomorrow and intend to use my mobile phone charger, ipad charger and camera charger in the cabin, but do not intend to use a converter. Am I right in thinking that it will just take longer to charge, then back in the uk on our voltage?

Look behind the bed and you will probably find a European 220 volt outlet. To use it you have to unplug one of the bedside lamps. Hopefully all your electronics are dual voltage otherwise you may mess them up as I have done in Europe with US plugged fans that were not dual voltage.

I will be on the Caribbean Princess tomorrow and intend to use my mobile phone charger, ipad charger and camera charger in the cabin, but do not intend to use a converter. Am I right in thinking that it will just take longer to charge, then back in the uk on our voltage?

Most modern power supplies are "switching supplies". If your chargers accept 110 volts along with the 220V (read the fine print on the charger), they will still charge your device at the same rate as if they were connected to a 220V source. All you need is the plug adapter.

Edited by beg3yrs

An adapter should work for you too. Not sure if you have time but there are also travel power strips that would allow you to plug a UK in and then use the two pronged US part to plug into the desk outlets. Here in the US they are fairly inexpensive. I've found that if I travel with that and an adapter for the country I'm visiting, I can always make it work.

Do you mean a converter or an adaptor, all you need is an adaptor to fit the usa syle socket, take a strip plug and then plug all your UK plugs into that. The ship is 110v so you can't change that to 240v. A usa adaptor is less than a fiver in upermarkets and the strip plug the same.

Apple products are rated 110v-240v. So are many other electronics. Look on the product for info.

I haven't found our iPhones charge any faster using 240 onboard as opposed to 110 at home.

(We sail Carnival, all their cabins have 110 and 240 outlets in the vanity.)

Edited by SadieN

It's been a while since i have done an American ship, been on P&O for years. I didnt want to blow anything up by using a charger from the UK to charge my devices.

I'm travelling this morning, all i have are the plug adapters to convert our 3 pin to US 2 pin an my UK chargers

Read the small print on the adaptor it will probably say 110-220 or thereabouts , all you need then is your adaptor, if you have a few things to charge take a stip plug ( white thing with plugs and short lead ) will help

Take an extention lead with 4+ outlets and a UK->US and a UK->EU (the round one) then you can do them all at the same time.

There will be 220v in the cabin somewhere. usualy on the desk, some times behid the bed or the fridge or TV

If not then most chargers are OK these days but check some older phone ones won't be.

Edited by insidecabin

Read the small print on the adaptor it will probably say 110-220 or thereabouts , all you need then is your adaptor, if you have a few things to charge take a stip plug ( white thing with plugs and short lead ) will help

Any problem using strip plug on Princess the only time we tried to use one on P&O the cabin steward told us not allowed because it wasn't electrically tested (pat).

Any problem using strip plug on Princess the only time we tried to use one on P&O the cabin steward told us not allowed because it wasn't electrically tested (pat).

If thay are claiming PAT testing then that would apply to everything with a plug on, so all your chargers.

PAT testing is not compulsory and new equipent can get by with a visual checks.

here is the relevent HSE page

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg236.htm

Edited by insidecabin