First timer with some Liberty questions

We are currently looking at taking a cruise on RCL Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston in 2016. Are there any websites or tips for picking a balcony room? Also, I have heard about "the hump"--are these rooms more desirable?

Just a quick look for the 2/21/16 Western Caribbean shows only forward or aft superior balconies. For the deluxe balconies, we could get a mid-ship one, but for some reason, the deluxe balconies cost a little more (not that it matters, it's a nominal difference, I just thought "superior" meant better). Decks are 6-8. Any thoughts on the best ones?

We could also wait until October 2016 and get a junior suite for less than the balcony in February. This would be our only other choice for 2016. Hubby really doesn't want to wait that long though. We also slightly prefer the February itinerary.

Any guidance on the best way to go would be appreciated. This is only my second cruise, first time on RCL.

Edited by Beachiekeen

Many like the "hump" because of the more dramatic view from the balcony, and the convenient location, being very near the elevator/stairs lobby. The actual size of the hump balcony is the same as any other side-facing balcony in the same category.

The "overhang" is the same on every deck...each deck is shaded by the deck above. The "draw" of the hump is convenience of location. The view is not that dramatically different!

Ok. We had an aft on IOS and that was a much better balcony.

Thanks for the responses so far. Any thoughts on Deluxe vs. Superior or mid-ship v. aft/forward? It seems like lots of people like the aft balconies?

Deluxe vs. Superior is not that much of a difference for us. I think the room is just a few feet less in length in a Deluxe. The difference is a 2-person loveseat vs. a 3-person sofa.

Not really all that much difference (except the large aft balconies). Some folks like hump due to access to elevators. Works unless you have large groups getting off elevator at 2 AM and yelling down the hallway to each other. We prefer far forward/aft so there is less hall traffic.

Make sure you go to the Galveston board for info on parking and local hotels:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

Thanks Lee--our CCL cruise was out of Galveston so we're good. ;)

Ok, one last question, is there a way to know which aft balconies are bigger? Do they cost more? I'm clueless when it comes to all the categories. Should I convince hubby to wait until October and get a suite?

Edited by Beachiekeen

Ok, one last question, is there a way to know which aft balconies are bigger? Do they cost more? I'm clueless when it comes to all the categories. Should I convince hubby to wait until October and get a suite?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2088099

The cost the same as any other stateroom in the same category.

The two different size balconies are category E and D. The category D staterooms are a bit larger...longer, allowing room for a full size sofa. In the smaller category E stateroom you would have a love seat instead of the sofa. The size of the balcony is the same for both stateroom types.

We prefer to be close to the mid-ship elevators and on a lower deck. So we like the category D3 (on Liberty) on deck 6, just one flight up from the Royal Promenade. I like the view of the water from a lower deck too.