Helicopter to Mendenhall

Tights

Hi, is it to risky to leave Helicopter to Mendenhall booking till you get there. I read about leaving booking excursions till you actually get to port rather tha booking through Holland, just wondering

Thank you

We booked independently and in advance.

Have backup plans: when we were in Juneau the weather wasn't great and a lot of flights were cancelled. We were lucky. :)

BTW they fly to various glaciers, we did not land on Mendenhall.

While I know this was not your question, I just want to comment how much I loved visiting/viewing Mendenhall Glacier. It was a wonderful excursion. We did not do it by helicopter.

While I know this was not your question, I just want to comment how much I loved visiting/viewing Mendenhall Glacier. It was a wonderful excursion. We did not do it by helicopter.

[/quote

Yes still undecided on the helicopter, have done it in New Zealand and just trying to weigh up priorities

When we travel to new places, whether on a land trip or cruise, we try to look at it as "what would we want to do if we could never get back there again:?

If the answer to that question is done by an excursion/tour with a limited number of seats we definitely book early. We'd rather perhaps pay a bit extra to do that "special something" and definitely get the experience we desire than miss out because we thought to save a few bucks. :)

Thank you all

Book thru the cruiseline, the number of helicopters are very limited. A nice thing thru the cruiseline versus direct is that you can still cancel usually up to time of sailing.

Weather related issues and you get your money back. Thru the cruiseline costs a bit more but you also get transportation which is a worthwile convenience.

Book early and pick the best time, if I sail again and the difference between direct and ship is < $25 / person I'd do the cruiseline for all the advantages above, the best is they don't take your money till the end of the cruise :D

We booked this excursion with HAL 4 years ago. I recommend that you book it through them.

We had an afternoon excursion. We are grateful that we did as most of the low hanging early clouds were gone by the time we took off. It is a fabulous excursion. The flight is breathtaking, standing alongside deep fissures, and drinking 100 year old glacier water were well worth the cost.

We booked independently and in advance.

Have backup plans: when we were in Juneau the weather wasn't great and a lot of flights were cancelled. We were lucky. :)

BTW they fly to various glaciers, we did not land on Mendenhall.

Hi can you please recommend the company you used

Thank you

We just returned from Alaska and we did the Nature Hike to Mendenhall, It was about a 4 hr excursion, We walked they the rain forest up to the glacier. It was a wonder day. We got out and was able to enjoy nature for about $80 thru the ship. We got great photo opts.

We booked this excursion with HAL 4 years ago. I recommend that you book it through them.

We had an afternoon excursion. We are grateful that we did as most of the low hanging early clouds were gone by the time we took off. It is a fabulous excursion. The flight is breathtaking, standing alongside deep fissures, and drinking 100 year old glacier water were well worth the cost.

Agree. We did, as well, and had a great experience with a pilot who had been a USA helicopter pilot. Not cheap, but worth it.