How long does it take to go onshore Geiranger from a tender?

SilverRibbon

Hi,

When our P&O ship arrives in Geiranger, a tender is required to take passengers onshore. How long does this process normally take? I'm thinking of booking a non-ship excursion and would like to know how long it'll take before we set foot onshore.

As P&O don't tell their passengers expected arrival times, I found a site that says it would be 09:00. The times of the tours I'm looking at are either 09:45 or 10:45. Will I make either of these tours?

Thanks

Hi,

When our P&O ship arrives in Geiranger, a tender is required to take passengers onshore. How long does this process normally take? I'm thinking of booking a non-ship excursion and would like to know how long it'll take before we set foot onshore.

As P&O don't tell their passengers expected arrival times, I found a site that says it would be 09:00. The times of the tours I'm looking at are either 09:45 or 10:45. Will I make either of these tours?

Thanks

We have never had problems tendering in Geiranger, but it obviously happens, ref the other reply posted, so check what the situation is with the tour if you cannot tender.

In the normal run of things once the tenders are set up, ships tours are taken ashore first, then joe public in the order of their tickets. Get there early and you will get an early ticket. I think the most I have ever waited anywhere is about an hour.

Hi,

Thanks

You will need to plan for this. P&O excursions get priority to disembark. You get general tender tickets on a fist come first served basis. For certainty I would go for the 10.45 which you will make as long as you get an early tender ticket.

Might be worth checking with the Geiranger cruise port schedule as the bigger ships may show tendering but in fact may use the seawalk platform where you can just walk off the ship across the walkway to the port, no tendering needed. If you see SW on the schedule then its the seawalk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You will need to plan for this. P&O excursions get priority to disembark. You get general tender tickets on a fist come first served basis. For certainty I would go for the 10.45 which you will make as long as you get an early tender ticket.

Might be worth checking with the Geiranger cruise port schedule as the bigger ships may show tendering but in fact may use the seawalk platform where you can just walk off the ship across the walkway to the port, no tendering needed. If you see SW on the schedule then its the seawalk.

I looked all last year at this seawalk and I have never seen a P&O ship use it. It was payed for by Celebrity and their ships only seem to use it.

Once set up in Geiranger it is usually a very smooth process.

I looked all last year at this seawalk and I have never seen a P&O ship use it. It was payed for by Celebrity and their ships only seem to use it.

Thanks Dai. That will explain why our Celebrity ship in June is using it.

Thanks very much for your replies.

The details I got from P&O said a tender is required but I didn't realise you had to get a ticket to go on one! Where do I go to get them and how soon can I get them?

I had a look at the Geiranger cruise port schedule (good tip!) and can see there are a few ships the day we arrive but no names. I'm guess from the PAX column that we're scheduled to arrive at 08:00 yet the website I saw said arrival time of 09:00. Why doesn't P&O just let us know! Anyway, just to be safe I'll look into the 10:45 trip. If I get the tender tickets early as has been suggested and allow an hour (assuming 09:00 arrival time) I feel happier with booking a trip independently. :)

Last time we had to tender you collected the numbered tickets from one of the bars/lounges I think. Then you tried to find a seat until your number spread is called. I think its about 50 people at a time so if there are no problems you can get through them pretty quick.

Announcements will be made on the day as to where you collect tickets from.

They use numbered tickets so they can just say 1_50, please board now..instead of having to count individually.

Disembarking via tender in Geiranger happened very smoothly when we did it. I seem to remember we were told all the details the night before as to where to go for the tickets etc.

I'm sure if you have booked your excursion through a reputable company, they will be in touch with the ship's arrival times

I've no idea where you have learned it was paid for by Celebrity, if it had been I'm sure they would want branding rights. The Seawalk was paid for by the port authority as it reduces the impact of cruise ships on the environment.

Celebrity, Cunard, CMV and others have used it. The decision on using it is down to the cruise company as they have to pay for the service. They have to balance the cost of the Seawalk against the cost of operating 3-4 tenders all day. Environmental concerns may influence the operators decision.

It certainly makes getting to and from the ship much easier, especially if it is raining and you need to return to ship to dry off.

Edited by Thejuggler

I've no idea where you have learned it was paid for by Celebrity, if it had been I'm sure they would want branding rights. The Seawalk was paid for by the port authority as it reduces the impact of cruise ships on the environment.

Celebrity, Cunard, CMV and others have used it. The decision on using it is down to the cruise company as they have to pay for the service. They have to balance the cost of the Seawalk against the cost of operating 3-4 tenders all day. Environmental concerns may influence the operators decision.

It certainly makes getting to and from the ship much easier, especially if it is raining and you need to return to ship to dry off.

I took a photo of every ship in Geiranger last summer, from the web cam. I never saw any ship use it apart from the big X. R C tend not to cruise there much. I was told that Celebrity part paid for it and therefore could use it all the time.

The last couple of times we have been there no one used it as the ships were P&O, MSC and the German line which own the ship which was Artemus.

I was informed that the X pad paid for it to be built but now I cannot remember who it was. I cannot believe that no other line would be prepared to pay for using it therefore my information gains some credence.

A quick search on Google and easy enough to find that Cunard's Queen Victoria and a Costa ship have both used the Seawalk so not exclusively used by Celebrity. Led to believe that it was built as an enviromental reason by the port to stop numerous tenders being used all day long and damaging the environment. Apparently it is down to the cruiseline if they think it is worth it due to cost of Seawalk or running tenders back and forth all day.

Edited by majortom10

A quick search on Google and easy enough to find that Cunard's Queen Victoria and a Costa ship have both used the Seawalk so not exclusively used by Celebrity. Led to believe that it was built as an enviromental reason by the port to stop numerous tenders being used all day long and damaging the environment. Apparently it is down to the cruiseline if they think it is worth it due to cost of Seawalk or running tenders back and forth all day.

And I found one of QM2, but it did not happen last year. Unless there was a big X in it was not used even though there were often 2/3/4 ships in the fjord.

Sadly it does say 'tender' on our booking info for our QE cruise to Geiranger later this year. Since the Eclipse is in at the same time that will obviously be using the seawalk. That's a pity - it was a dream just walking off Celebrity Infinity when we were there last. Perhaps Cunard and others have used it in the absence of any Celebrity ships and the sums add up. Brilliant facility though. (If you can use it!)

And I found one of QM2, but it did not happen last year. Unless there was a big X in it was not used even though there were often 2/3/4 ships in the fjord.

I know you never like to be proved wrong and think you are always right on all matters but just because you assume that you have only seen Celebrity using it doesnt mean that they have paid for it and are sole users of the Seawalk. Unless the authorities make it law that you are forced to use the Seawalk and not tenders it would mean that only 1 cruise ship could call at Gerainger each day which isnt practical or financially accepted by local shops. Therefore it is avaiable to cruise lines to use at a cost at their choosing and just because Celebrity use it and others havent doesnt mean that it was paid for by Celebrity and is for their sole use.

I know you never like to be proved wrong and think you are always right on all matters but just because you assume that you have only seen Celebrity using it doesnt mean that they have paid for it and are sole users of the Seawalk. Unless the authorities make it law that you are forced to use the Seawalk and not tenders it would mean that only 1 cruise ship could call at Gerainger each day which isnt practical or financially accepted by local shops. Therefore it is avaiable to cruise lines to use at a cost at their choosing and just because Celebrity use it and others havent doesnt mean that it was paid for by Celebrity and is for their sole use.

I was told that Celebrity paid for it long before I started to look at the webcam the two things are not related.

I just find it odd that only one company uses the sea walk on a regular basis and it is not used so many times.

BTW do not tell me what I like or not it has nothing to do with you at all.

I am stating an opinion and what I have been told. Do not go down the line of attacking me again.

It does seem according to this site that it was wholly funded by the port authourity:

http://www.cruiseeurope.com/news/geirangerfjord-opts-for-seawalk-floating-pier

I wonder if it a case of Celebrity being one of the few willing to pay to use it. After all tendering costs a cruise line just for the fuel.

It does seem according to this site that it was wholly funded by the port authourity:

http://www.cruiseeurope.com/news/geirangerfjord-opts-for-seawalk-floating-pier

I wonder if it a case of Celebrity being one of the few willing to pay to use it. After all tendering costs a cruise line just for the fuel.

Thankyou Kevin I have been trying to find out if what I said was true but never found conclusive proof either way.

Thankyou Kevin I have been trying to find out if what I said was true but never found conclusive proof either way.

You are welcome Dai. We were on Eclipse in 2013 in Geiranger and tendered in but next month on Eclipse we are using the seawalk. Will be very interesting to use it.

Last time we had to tender you collected the numbered tickets from one of the bars/lounges I think. Then you tried to find a seat until your number spread is called. I think its about 50 people at a time so if there are no problems you can get through them pretty quick.

Announcements will be made on the day as to where you collect tickets from.

They use numbered tickets so they can just say 1_50, please board now..instead of having to count individually.

Disembarking via tender in Geiranger happened very smoothly when we did it. I seem to remember we were told all the details the night before as to where to go for the tickets etc.

Thanks for explaining what the procedure is to get the tender tickets.

Yes, don't worry about it SilverRibbon. It really is all very well organised on the ship. Your Horizon paper delivered to the cabin the night before will have all details for the next day in it, plus the arrangements and info for the particular port being visited including the tender arrangements. You will then have plenty of time the night before to ask any questions you still have and make sure you know exactly where to go for your tender ticket.

I also remember that when we went to get our tickets, there was a definite priority and different times for people who had booked excursions - private and the ship's own - and I remember no hassle. We had no excursion booked so disembarked later, but it all seemed to happen very quickly and early.:) Enjoy

Edited by Scriv