Acapulco

kangarooer

Hi all you knowledgeable folks

I guess more than several years ago now my wife and I did a Coral Princess full Panama transit cruise. We called into ACAPULCO.

I cannot see where anyone calls there now.

Any info on why not or any cruise line that does make a visit for a day

Hi all you knowledgeable folks

I guess more than several years ago now my wife and I did a Coral Princess full Panama transit cruise. We called into ACAPULCO.

I cannot see where anyone calls there now.

Any info on why not or any cruise line that does make a visit for a day

Very unsafe.

Acapulco has been safe, especially since they got rid of the local police and put in the Federals. I spend 10 days in February there and have not been concerned. I make sure to stay in the tourist areas. NCL was stopping in Acapulco in February and I think a Silver Seas ship.

Another reason the cruise lines don't stop is that many Americans feel uncomfortable in Acapulco because it is not a shiny city like Cabo.

Just my opinions.

Is it more unsafe than many of our major cities, including Washington D.C.?

Probably not but at any given time it could be and obviously Princess does not want to get caught with their pants down and have a bunch of passengers mowed down. :rolleyes:

When we were on a Panama Canal cruise several years ago, I actually felt safer walking around Cartegena, Columbia than Acapulco.

IS Cartegena Dangerous? I'm going there next year!

Like most third world countries you need to be aware of your surroundings.

Stay in well traveled parts of the city. We love to use Lee Miles for great tours. Lee has lived there for 30 plus years and is well thought of here on CC.

I live near Washington DC and it's fine and mostly very safe, it's an old rumor from many years ago.

In 2010 we picked up a Princess cruise leaving Acapulco to the Panama Canal and ending in Ft. Lauderdale. It was a great cruise. We didn't come the previous day due to the crime reports. When we landed in Acapulco, we picked up the Princess bus/shuttle directly to the ship. That was a very scary almost 2 hour ride. We had tons of traffic and at every stop light, stop sign we saw policy/military with machine guns and ski masks (it was about 85 degrees), they didn't want the drug cartel to identify them. When we came to the ship, lucky there was no line, we ran on board quickly. We don't see this in DC. I hope it has gotten better. Princess personnel told us that there was one more trip leaving out of Acapulco and then Princess is done with this port.

More than shootings, the number of kidnappings for ransom in Mexico is very high against tourists. A ship load of cruisers offers great targets especially those shunning organized tours.

We loved this city!! It is gorgeous and so interesting. Military police stationed around which makes it feel safe for the tourists. We spent half a day in the old city on our own. But the place was packed with cruisers and tour guides, so we didn't feel threatened at all. I'd take a tour if traveling thru more of the city just for comfort.

Be prepared for heat and humidity. It is crazy HOT. Thus our shorter day of walking the streets.

Like most third world countries you need to be aware of your surroundings.

Stay in well traveled parts of the city. We love to use Lee Miles for great tours. Lee has lived there for 30 plus years and is well thought of here on CC.

Thanks, we will check him out!

Ken

Walked all around it never any trouble anywhere there.Would visit again in heartbeat.:)

Acapulco never again.Grabbed in Cruise Terminal managed to break free due to fellow passengers being nearby .:eek:

Acapulco, worst stop ever. If Princess or any cruise I was on stopped there, wouldn't leave the ship. Last time these so called Tour guides followed us for blocks, wouldn't leave us, wanted a cut from anything we bought even when we said we aren't shopping. Finally went into department store and lost the first one. When we exited, another followed us. Watched pick pockets in action right by the ship. One time when our ship pulled into the pier, someone was dead, hanging from the edge of the pier. Nasty.

City is no longer pretty. Only Mexican port city I felt very unsafe walking around.