Interested in Celebrity - Worried about "classiness"

My wife and I are Royal Carribean cruisers but last few trips we have been disappointed in things as it fells like RC is being pushed down by in importance by Celebrity.

Such as in Cozumel the 2 Celebrity ships was in International port while RC boats was in downtown port (which I hated). Also I think there has been a decrease in the food over the last 5-7 years at RC and have only heard great things about Celebrity.

The thing with Celebrity is my wife and I are not fancy people - I wear polo shirts and khakis year round but don't do shirts and ties or suits/jackets, and we do not wish to eat at a buffet for dinner. Is this a real issue on ship as it appears the thread pinned above it is.

We are specifically looking between a Celebrity cruise on Summit to Southern Carribean from San Jaun versus a RC to southern Carribean on Adventure of the Seas.

Any thoughts?

My wife and I are Royal Carribean cruisers but last few trips we have been disappointed in things as it fells like RC is being pushed down by in importance by Celebrity.

Such as in Cozumel the 2 Celebrity ships was in International port while RC boats was in downtown port (which I hated). Also I think there has been a decrease in the food over the last 5-7 years at RC and have only heard great things about Celebrity.

The thing with Celebrity is my wife and I are not fancy people - I wear polo shirts and khakis year round but don't do shirts and ties or suits/jackets, and we do not wish to eat at a buffet for dinner. Is this a real issue on ship as it appears the thread pinned above it is.

We are specifically looking between a Celebrity cruise on Summit to Southern Carribean from San Jaun versus a RC to southern Carribean on Adventure of the Seas.

Any thoughts?

Your described style of dress is consistent with the "smart casual" environment and fine for most nights in the MDR. It would not be acceptable in the MDR on formal nights.

You can pay for specialty dining on formal nights and continue to wear smart casual.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Any thoughts?

For true casual dining please consider Oceania, as you will probably love it, but not Celebrity who are going in the same direction as RCI over the same time period.

For true casual dining please consider Oceania, as you will probably love it, but not Celebrity who are going in the same direction as RCI over the same time period.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Food Quality is VERY subjective.

Our experience since our 1st cruise on Cel X on our honeymoon 6 years ago is that the food has improved , generally speaking and very much so in the Speciality Restaurants. Our last visit to Murano was Michelin Star quality.

We have had issues with the odd dish in the MDR but have always had them resolved.

OP - This does not mean I am right and Port Royal is wrong or vice-versa :cool: We can only advise on how things were for us on the Cruises we were on.

Its a bit like when people ask you what you thought of a Restaurant you dined in previously. The only real answer is "go and try it - it could be different than when I was last there ";)

Edited by gcgold

We cruise RC out of Cape Liberty and Baltimore, and we cruise on Celebrity out of Florida.

We love being able to drive close by to the northeast ports, rather than fly, but I have to say we prefer the "classiness" of Celebrity, as you classified it in your original post.

I dress up on both cruiselines, and I have seen BOTH styles of dress on Celebrity AND RC. I do observe that X has far more formal attire onboard, but you will be perfectly fine in nice casual clothing. For me, class is more defined by behavior and refinement, rather than clothing. And in my experience, there is more "refinement" on X ships.

And in my subjective dining experience, Celebrity is superior. And we're very experienced foodies!! X not perfection, but very good.

IMHO.

Edited by Cruisen'Susan

We are not big cruisers. Did Alaska on RCCL.....Med on Celebrity. Not sure 1 is much classier than the other. Lot of it is just a marketing ploy. I know if you book Aqua class, like we did...your assigned dining is BLU....which is smart casual every day--even on formal nights...Yes some do put on a suit/tux..many don't.....Totally up to u! As well, the specialty restaurants remain smart casual! I'm just a common RN,lol

. And in my experience' date=' there is more "refinement" on X ships.

And in my subjective dining experience, Celebrity is superior. And we're very experienced foodies!! X not perfection, but very good.

IMHO.[/quote']

Sorry but I have to disagree about 'refinement'

Refined is not an adjective that could possible used about my Wife's husband:eek:

Edited by gcgold
ypo

We have cruised both RCCL and Celebrity and I can't say I noticed much difference in the dress. Before our Celebrity cruise I was a bit concerned that we might feel intimidated by the "classier people" on Celebrity, but this wasn't the case at all. We are quite casual dressers and we didn't feel at all out of place.

My husband wore chinos and a collared shirt most nights. On formal night I wore black pants with a dressy top and heels, my husband wore dark pants, shirt, tie and sports jacket and there were many other people dressed very much the same a we were.

My personal opinion is that the food was a little better on Celebrity, the shows were a little better on RCCL. If I had to choose between the two I would probably choose Celebrity - the "feel" of Celebrity just suited me better. But on the other hand, if RCCL had an itinerary that I preferred I wouldn't hesitate to go back to RCCL.

Any thoughts?

Attire sounds appropriate if you are talking khaki slacks and golf type polo shirts. That is what many men wear to BLU where we dine as we sail AQUA.

In addition to our 15 Celebrity cruises we have 6 Royal cruises and we much prefer Celebrity. Try it for yourself and see how you like it. As someone posted Celebrity ships are much cleaner that Royal, no doubt about it.

Sorry but I have to disagree about 'refinement'

Refined is not an adjective that could possible used about my Wife's husband:eek:

lol, you're at it again!! You're a real card! (and I don't believe you ;) )

Edited by Cruisen'Susan

lol' date=' you're at it again!! You're a real card! (and I don't believe you ;) )[/quote']

memo to self :

try and be more plausible when using CC[emoji485][emoji636][emoji33]

Must go - elocution lessons tonight as we are in Luminae next month [emoji572]️[emoji12][emoji41]

We have cruised both RCCL and Celebrity and I can't say I noticed much difference in the dress. Before our Celebrity cruise I was a bit concerned that we might feel intimidated by the "classier people" on Celebrity, but this wasn't the case at all. We are quite casual dressers and we didn't feel at all out of place.

My husband wore chinos and a collared shirt most nights. On formal night I wore black pants with a dressy top and heels, my husband wore dark pants, shirt, tie and sports jacket and there were many other people dressed very much the same a we were.

My personal opinion is that the food was a little better on Celebrity, the shows were a little better on RCCL. If I had to choose between the two I would probably choose Celebrity - the "feel" of Celebrity just suited me better. But on the other hand, if RCCL had an itinerary that I preferred I wouldn't hesitate to go back to RCCL.

I guess a shirt, tie and jacket would be minimum for me as I have not woren this in 10 years since wife and I was married. My wife wears dresses so she is not a problem but I guess I would need to go shopping.

The price difference is less than $50 with Celebrity being cheaper but RCI's iternary looks a little better.

memo to self :

try and be more plausible when using CC[emoji485][emoji636][emoji33]

Must go - elocution lessons tonight as we are in Luminae next month [emoji572]️[emoji12][emoji41]

Yup. One must learn to articulate and express with proper grammar, so that one is refined while sailing on X!!

Bottom line is be yourself.

Someone mentioned that everyone will have their own opinion. It is true. This is our first time with X and it was one of my concerns. That it would be too "classy" for me. (i'm a bit of a clown) but i certainly wont be going into the MDR on formal night in a clown suit! Maybe i'll dress up in a pretty dress, maybe i'll go with black slacks and a cute top with heels. Similarly, you can dress comfortably and still "fit in". If anyone looks down on you - throw a meatball at them and tell them it was from me!

If RC is just growing on you, its worth it to try X. The great thing is that if you don't like X then you can go back to RC or any other line!

It's YOUR cruise. you make it what you wish for it to be. Based on these boards, there are some pretty nice people who will be cruising with you (a few weirdos - but you need them in the mix to keep the threads active!)

You make it what you want it to be. If you want to have a great time, you will. It's all about using your discretion as well!

Let us know what you decide!

Bottom line is be yourself.

Someone mentioned that everyone will have their own opinion. It is true. This is our first time with X and it was one of my concerns. That it would be too "classy" for me. (i'm a bit of a clown) but i certainly wont be going into the MDR on formal night in a clown suit! Maybe i'll dress up in a pretty dress, maybe i'll go with black slacks and a cute top with heels. Similarly, you can dress comfortably and still "fit in". If anyone looks down on you - throw a meatball at them and tell them it was from me!

If RC is just growing on you, its worth it to try X. The great thing is that if you don't like X then you can go back to RC or any other line!

It's YOUR cruise. you make it what you wish for it to be. Based on these boards, there are some pretty nice people who will be cruising with you (a few weirdos - but you need them in the mix to keep the threads active!)

You make it what you want it to be. If you want to have a great time, you will. It's all about using your discretion as well!

Let us know what you decide!

Well said! I especially like the idea of throwing meatballs in the dining room!!

Yup. One must learn to articulate and express with proper grammar' date=' so that one is refined while sailing on X!![/quote']

"yup".

My elocution instructor opines that there is no such word in the English Dictionary.

He also opines that such degeneration of our language is a result of our ancestors having wanderlust. I decided a while ago that a trunk belongs to an elephant not a motor car and do not resile from that view. [emoji12][emoji41][emoji636][emoji485][emoji574]️

Edited by gcgold

"yup".

My elocution instructor opines that there is no such word in the English Dictionary.

He also opines that such degeneration of our language is a result of our ancestors having wanderlust. I decided a while ago that a trunk belongs to an elephant not a motor car and do not resile from that view. [emoji12][emoji41][emoji636][emoji485][emoji574]️

LOLLLLLLLL you got me LOL!!!! Actually, I used "yup" on purpose to illustrate the distinction between proper English and common slang, since we were on the topic of "refinement." LOL

LOLLLLLLLL you got me LOL!!!! Actually' date=' I used "yup" on purpose to illustrate the distinction between proper English and common slang, since we were on the topic of "refinement." LOL[/quote']

[emoji41][emoji3][emoji485][emoji636]

FYI - Our experiences sailing out of San Juan are that the cruises are a bit dressier as the local Puerto Rican's like to dress to the T's! This includes those dining in Specialty or Aqua Class. We have seen more formal gowns and tuxes on the cruises sailing out of San Juan than sailing out of any other port. Second place would be European cruises. Not sure about cruises leaving out of the UK. We have our first coming up soon. ;)

I suggest at least taking a sports coat on your cruise. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

We're recently back from the Southern Caribbean itinerary on Summit. I didn't find the ship to be "fancy". There were two formal nights. On the first formal night, almost everyone was dressed up (suit and tie, cocktail dress) but on the second formal night, only about half the people dressed up. On the Smart Casual nights, khakis and polos were the norm.

I don't think you will feel uncomfortable on Celebrity Summit. If you don't want you bring a suit and tie, you could always eat dinner at Bistro on Five the first formal night. I thought the food there was just as good as the dining room.

Having done this itinerary twice, I can say that there was no more dressing up than on the RCL cruises we have done.

When looking at the prices you need to see if there are any perks being offered, if yes, it will make Celebrity a much better deal.

I would have booked the Summit again but it is in dry-dock for the only date we can travel (I'm a teacher).