Speaking of Specialty Dining...

Muushka

The Specialty Dining poll got me thinking about the cost.

We love specialty dining. I'm pretty picky so a special dinner in a beautiful dining room on a cruise is a treat for me. A few years back SD was a tad costly, but we didn't mind because we enjoyed it. Now, with these price increases, it seems like a waste of money. We're pretty frugal, please keep that in mind. We often have OBC and it still seems like a waste of money.

I hate playing the "find the SD discount game" while on board. :mad:

What if Celebrity started thinking that there are people out there like me who would have no problem booking SD prior to boarding IF there were some sort of discount. 20% would be awesome. Higher discounts would be even better, of course.:D They could make the discounts higher depending how many dinners.

1 20%

2 25%

3 or more 30%

I know that they offer the 3, 4 or 5 specialty dining packages. But for example the ship (Equinox) may have a restaurant (Silk Harvest) that we have no desire to dine.

Celebrity would win because people couldn't use their OBC for it. The SD restaurants would be more full and they wouldn't have to hawk the SD throughout the cruise. Those who have to man the podiums could be doing something else.

Pretty please Celebrity....:)

What an excellent and completely logical idea. Sadly, I doubt it will get taken up, even with a sliding discount scale as sailing date approaches.

We've always travelled Celebrity in a suite, which means we get some free speciality dining and even better, if you know the suite hot-line in Miami you can book time slots in advance which aren't available on-line. I've used it to book the odd extra SD for formal nights when DW and I didn't fancy schlepping a penguin suit and a case full of evening dresses across the planet with limited baggage allowance on a commercial flight.

I would have happily booked more in advance if the pricing was right. Instead we do the SD trawl when on board, hoping to spot the discounts, days and times before they sell out.

But hey, at least it gives us something to do while walking around the ship on embarkation day.

Edited by Chunky2219

Can someone please answer this question.

Since Elite Plus gets a 15% discount on specialty dining is that applied only if one pays full price or if there's a 20% discount onboard, does the diner in effect get a 35% discount?

Just spoke to a rookie at captains club who wasn't even aware that there are discounts available onboard the ship. Figured I'd get the correct response here rather than calling back.

Edited by dirtymoney

Can someone please answer this question.

Since Elite Plus gets a 15% discount on specialty dining is that applied only if one pays full price or if there's a 20% discount onboard, does the diner in effect get a 35% discount?

Just spoke to a rookie at captains club who wasn't even aware that there are discounts available onboard the ship. Figured I'd get the correct response here rather than calling back.

Not sure whether the Elite + can be applied after the 20% onboard or not . But if it can the overall discount is only 32% :eek::cool:

Not sure whether the Elite + can be applied after the 20% onboard or not . But if it can the overall discount is only 32% :eek::cool:

I'm aware of how to do the math, but chose to state it the way I did as to not have many scratch their heads.:confused::confused:

Again, it's not the math that I'm interested in but the principle of how and if the discount would be applied.

I'm aware of how to do the math, but chose to state it the way I did as to not have many scratch their heads.:confused::confused:

Again, it's not the math that I'm interested in but the principle of how and if the discount would be applied.

Sorry just trying to be helpful with the mathematics.[emoji41][emoji636]

• 1 month later...

We are on the western Mediterranean cruise for 10 days so decided to book the 4 restaurant package(least one available) and it is indicated that you save approx. 24%. You must dine the first or second day and they assigned us to Tuscan Grille. We must wait until on board before we can book the rest.

I am having second thoughts about this. Should I just reserve the 3 I really want before we go or should I wait to see what deals we can get on board. I understand the best times get booked pre-cruise. Since we have paid ahead why cannot we book our times?

Any thoughts?

But for example the ship (Equinox) may have a restaurant (Silk Harvest) that we have no desire to dine.:)

We felt the same way last Nov till a group of 12 from the roll call all went together to Silk Harvest. It was outstanding, from the first appetizer to desert.

We are already planning another group dinner for this Nov.

image.jpg.c97816e4b14d0ab5397ff1f41b8cbeb4.jpg

Discounts for SD are offered through a package of 3,4,and 5 nights you do save money. Celebrity does assign you a restaurant for first night than you get to pick the rest. Never had a problem with seating ever in a specialty restaurant. When onboard call and reserve any restaurant you want to go to.

if you just want to splurge one night the discount is generally given out for a restaurant on the first night, usually 20% and this is done because most people in the MDR want to meet their tablemates and the SR are empty. Enjoy your cruise!

When we booked Equinox some months ago for a Dec cruise, they told us our sky suite would get 3 free specialty restaurants for 8 days or more.

Unless I didn't read correctly, their site now shows only 2 freebies for 8 days for sky suite guests. ???

When we booked Equinox some months ago for a Dec cruise, they told us our sky suite would get 3 free specialty restaurants for 8 days or more.

Unless I didn't read correctly, their site now shows only 2 freebies for 8 days for sky suite guests. ???

Time to place a ringie dingie, ( ie: a call :D ) to Celebrity or your TA, whom ever you placed the booking thru.

Discounts for SD are offered through a package of 3,4,and 5 nights you do save money. Celebrity does assign you a restaurant for first night than you get to pick the rest. Never had a problem with seating ever in a specialty restaurant. When onboard call and reserve any restaurant you want to go to.

if you just want to splurge one night the discount is generally given out for a restaurant on the first night, usually 20% and this is done because most people in the MDR want to meet their tablemates and the SR are empty. Enjoy your cruise!

If there is a special day and time we want to dine, we book and pay for it before sailing. For instance, on our last cruise, they offered a 20% discount on the first night. We could dine real early or real late. Nothing in-between. I had noted that the "premium" days and times had filled up real fast about 30 days before sailing. A lot may depend on the particular cruise.

How about if they just charge a reasonable price for the specialty restaurants in the first place and stop playing the discount games like a used car salesman. Not to sound cliche' but haggling for the price of meal isn't "Modern Luxury" to me. $25 to $35 is my limit and it's an absolute crime to be charging $10 for Bistro on five and $45 for Qsine. Sorry but $45 dollars for the sliders and fries served in an odd shaped dish is just being victimized....And yes I know they have other offerings but the Sushi in the buffet is just as good as the Sushi in Qsine.

Edited by Iamcruzin

It's always been two, not three.

It's always been two, not three.

Ma knows !