Any News on Bermuda Dredging?

Maybe they only have to Dredge parts of the channel and not the hole thing.2 maybe they don't have to Dredge at all and they lie to us about having to Dredge too put QUANTUM in china .It the the first the they lie to us just look at what they did with Majesty OTS. Been on 33 cruises one thing i Know is never trust RCCL or and cruise line.

The Dredging issue is real. Bermuda studied the channels and decided the Quantum class is too large. Environmental studies had to be done to determine the impact on the channels and where to put the spoils. Then the decisions to dredge and the cost involved would need to be decided. They may still need to go out for dredging bids.

As far as I know the environmental studies have yet to be released. The window for getting the dredging started on time is closing fast.

Just off Summit. According to Capt Leo and Ken Mills the CD Bermuda will be proceeding with the dredging.

That's the same rumor that was going around when the Quantum was coming to town.

Or it could be the truth.

At this point it would probably be cheaper for RC to pay for the dredging than the cost of changing ships. They desperately need Bermuda for the 5 day summer runs.

At this point it would probably be cheaper for RC to pay for the dredging than the cost of changing ships. They desperately need Bermuda for the 5 day summer runs.

Having to change ships would be almost impossible at this point and a PR disaster. I can't believe that anyone at RCCL would be crazy enough to allow this to occur. As for an earlier question of why they haven't posted here, why should they? If you're concerned about the dredging not happening, email the CEO and ask.

Again you don't know how much Dredging needs to be done . Don't forget they had Breakaway tender by the docks this year didn't think the water was that deep over there.

That must have been a special circumstance. Breakaway docks in Bermuda and has been for a while.

That must have been a special circumstance. Breakaway docks in Bermuda and has been for a while.

That was back around May 20th. If I remember correctly the NCL Dawn lost power while leaving on Tuesday and ran aground. It returned to port to be checked out and cleared. On Wednesday the Summit and Breakaway arrived in port so the Breakaway anchored and tendered while the Dawn used one of the docks.

Edited by fred30

That was back around May 20th. If I remember correctly the NCL Dawn lost power while leaving on Tuesday and ran aground. It returned to port to be checked out and cleared. On Wednesday the Summit and Breakaway arrived in port so the Breakaway anchored and tendered while the Dawn used one of the docks.

yes

Having to change ships would be almost impossible at this point and a PR disaster. I can't believe that anyone at RCCL would be crazy enough to allow this to occur. As for an earlier question of why they haven't posted here, why should they? If you're concerned about the dredging not happening, email the CEO and ask.

I guess if the worst happens and the dredging doesn't get done, Royal will have to determine which will be a worse PR disaster - changing ships and still keeping the Bermuda itinerary or changing the 5 night Bermuda itinerary on the Anthem and going to Halifax instead (or whatever port they can substitute and keep the 5 night length). I'm thinking an itinerary change might be the worse option, based on the anger that happened a few years ago when a ship was diverted to Canada due to a hurricane rather than going to Bermuda.

As to Royal paying for the dredging, I believe they announced a while back that they were going to pay for part of it. However, if it's a case of requiring Bermuda's approval to dredge, then it won't matter how much Royal pays if they aren't allowed to do it.

The only reason we picked this cruise was to sail a new ship and to go to Bermuda. I would hate to miss Bermuda. Maybe I should just look into the Oasis/Allure as well since that would be a new ship for us too. I would much rather hold off on the Anthem until they can go to Bermuda then book it and port changes. Decisions.. Decisions.. :confused:

The only reason we picked this cruise was to sail a new ship and to go to Bermuda. I would hate to miss Bermuda. Maybe I should just look into the Oasis/Allure as well since that would be a new ship for us too. I would much rather hold off on the Anthem until they can go to Bermuda then book it and port changes. Decisions.. Decisions.. :confused:

Has there been anything said/written by anyone knowledgeable in the cruise press about this possibly being a problem? I really don't understand someone cancelling a cruise based on comments from so-called experts on a message board.

Absolute worst case, couldn't they just tender people if they cannot dock?

I guess if the worst happens and the dredging doesn't get done, Royal will have to determine which will be a worse PR disaster - changing ships and still keeping the Bermuda itinerary or changing the 5 night Bermuda itinerary on the Anthem and going to Halifax instead (or whatever port they can substitute and keep the 5 night length). I'm thinking an itinerary change might be the worse option, based on the anger that happened a few years ago when a ship was diverted to Canada due to a hurricane rather than going to Bermuda.

It would be a logistical nightmare as well, which is why I'm sure it won't happen. What are they going to do? Re-book everyone from *two* ships so they can swap them? They won't have enough cabins to move people from Anthem to a Liberty class ship. It's just so ridiculously difficult that there is no way it would ever be done. It's not like they have an extra ship lying around that they can put into service.

I just don't understand all the concern over posts here just because some folks are convinced that the dredging hasn't started yet and isn't going to happen.

Edited by MisterBill99

Has there been anything said/written by anyone knowledgeable in the cruise press about this possibly being a problem? I really don't understand someone cancelling a cruise based on comments from so-called experts on a message board.

Absolute worst case, couldn't they just tender people if they cannot dock?

Docking is NOT the issue. It's the channel leading to the island.

It would be a logistical nightmare as well, which is why I'm sure it won't happen. What are they going to do? Re-book everyone from *two* ships so they can swap them? They won't have enough cabins to move people from Anthem to a Liberty class ship. It's just so ridiculously difficult that there is no way it would ever be done. It's not like they have an extra ship lying around that they can put into service.

I just don't understand all the concern over posts here just because some folks are convinced that the dredging hasn't started yet and isn't going to happen.

Just to be clear, from others who have been to Bermuda recently, we do know that dredging has not yet started.

It's not confirmed that the reason that Quantum was sent to China was (at least in part) due to the channel not being dredged.

The Anthem is less than 100 days before she calls on Bermuda. I would expect that we'll have some answers in pretty short order.

If the speculation that if Quantum wasn't allowed to call on Bermuda is accurate, it's a reasonable expectation that Anthem won't be able to call on Bermuda either.

Just to be clear, from others who have been to Bermuda recently, we do know that dredging has not yet started.

It's not confirmed that the reason that Quantum was sent to China was (at least in part) due to the channel not being dredged.

The Anthem is less than 100 days before she calls on Bermuda. I would expect that we'll have some answers in pretty short order.

If the speculation that if Quantum wasn't allowed to call on Bermuda is accurate, it's a reasonable expectation that Anthem won't be able to call on Bermuda either.

Where are you getting the Anthem going to Bermuda in 100 days. As far as I know it's 9 months away. Bermuda sailings don't start until April 2016.

Where are you getting the Anthem going to Bermuda in 100 days. As far as I know it's 9 months away. Bermuda sailings don't start until April 2016.

Yup, theres a little over 280 days until Anthem first calls at Bermuda. Anthem arrives in the US in less than 100 days so I guess that's where Overtyme got the number.

The reason everyone is concerned is we all had seen or heard of the arrival of a brand new "State of the Art" ship to be home-ported in Bayonne. And then one evening the ship sailed off and never returned and ended up in China. Now, we hear another new ship is coming into Bayonne but the reason the last new ship left Bayonne is still very much an issue. And it definitely was the reason.

Other than the rumors from a Captain and CD(which probably one heard from the other) there has been no definite news about the dredging being completed. There are even Bermudians that post on these boards and still no news. I find it hard to believe if Bermuda has plans to start the dredging within the required next several months there has been no hard info from anyone or anywhere.

I have been following this thread for a long time. I am one that is not totally convinced the main reason Quantum was sent to China was the Bermuda dredging issue. I think it may have been used as an excuse. I have no hard facts on that just a feeling.

So why with 9 months to go there is no dredging being done. Does the dredging really need to be done for a Quantum class ship? Just questions I ask myself.

I was in Bermuda in June for a land vacation and spoke with two good friends who live in Bermuda about this and they are not aware of any dredging going on or plans as such.

So I always look with interest when I see a notification on this thread for any info others might be able to share...fact or speculation :) :)

Thanks for the link to that article. It caused me to further look for articles re dredging on the Royal Gazette and I did find a new article from July 15/15

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20150715/NEWS25/150719772

The reason everyone is concerned is we all had seen or heard of the arrival of a brand new "State of the Art" ship to be home-ported in Bayonne. And then one evening the ship sailed off and never returned and ended up in China. Now, we hear another new ship is coming into Bayonne but the reason the last new ship left Bayonne is still very much an issue. And it definitely was the reason.

You conveniently leave out one minor fact, which was that there were never Quantum cruises offered for sale that had a Bermuda itinerary. Yes, we were all waiting for the 2015-2016 cruises to be released, myself included. But they were never offered for booking and no itinerary changes were made. So saying that they're similar situations are apples and oranges.

Other than the rumors from a Captain and CD(which probably one heard from the other) there has been no definite news about the dredging being completed. There are even Bermudians that post on these boards and still no news. I find it hard to believe if Bermuda has plans to start the dredging within the required next several months there has been no hard info from anyone or anywhere.

And someone already posted that they were going to do it in the off-season. And we now know the Bermuda resident was obviously not on top of things since it has been in the press. Why don't you get someone going on Liberty to ask the captain about it during the Q&A session and see what they say? And then let them accuse the captain of lying or not knowing what they're talking about if they say it's on schedule.