Nation of Why Bother?

sort of what we thought before our cruise last weekend. Reading all these stories about RCI after bveen with carnival we thought "shoot, not sure if we're going to like this". Well, we had a pretty fine time. Obviously there were differences, but nothing huge. We thought the ship itself was nicer. A couple small things like not having self serve laundry, sel serve kiosk to check your account status, etc...but those are little things. We found the food to be good, drinks were good. The service was pretty good, plenty of activities, etc. This was on Enchantment though, and I feel like from what I'm gathering maybe the smaller ships have a little better service? The Enchantment is known for its great crew though, so maybe that made a difference.

FYI, You can get your account info via the interactive TV. In addition you are able to make various reservations.

This message board has changed over the past several years. A couple years ago, this board was almost nothing but positive threads about RCCL. These days, I agree the complainers have taken over and I admit to being one of them lately. I think most complaints are from veteran RCCL cruisers. We have sailed RCCL many times and watched them take things away year after year. We are nostalgic for some part of our previous cruise experience that is now gone forever. The other thing that changed is cruise prices really hit rock bottom a few years ago. We had a bad economy and continuous bad news coming out weekly on Carnival ship problems. Cruise lines kind of panicked and were all but giving rooms away there for a stretch. Well the economy has picked back up and prices have jumped substantially. Cruise lines are also getting silly with their nickel and dime stuff beyond the cruise price which has many people fed up. NCL just added a $7 room service charge for food ordered to the room. Carnival no longer has a reggae band by the pool. They have some goofy DJ spinning 80s rap hits to the pool crowd instead. RCCL just went past the point of absurdity on their drink prices and their stock will get punished in upcoming financial quarters. Many people will refuse to pay it and will also refuse to buy an inflated drink package. I guarantee per person spending on the ship will decrease in quarters to come over these drink prices. I am so sure of what I just wrote that have sold off my entire portfolio of RCCL shares several weeks ago and that stock has treated me quite well. Those are just a few of the long list of dumb cuts by the cruise lines, but there are still many great things about RCCL and other cruise lines though. Our family is eagerly waiting for our cruise on the Independence in 2.5 weeks that we booked long ago. With that said, we have already decided this will be our last cruise on RCCL for many years to come. We are not loyal to any cruise line and other lines have just passed them by in our opinion. In the end, just enjoy your cruise if you choose to book one. Things you once enjoyed might be gone, but focus on what is there and have fun.

Edited by WhenIsLobsterNight

FYI, You can get your account info via the interactive TV. In addition you are able to make various reservations.

Not on Enchantment though which is what ship the OP was on :)

There is an old saying in the business world; a happy customer tells one person and an unhappy customer tells ten.

This is an old and great quote regarding business. On the other hand, I've listened to some people that complain often about everything. As difficult as it is, I try to keep negative people out of my life or at least at a distance. I also don't know why, but for me personally, the compliment of a business holds hold weight for me than the complaint of a business. So when I hear good things, I hold on to those good thoughts.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

This message board has changed over the past several years. A couple years ago, this board was almost nothing but positive threads about RCCL. These days, I agree the complainers have taken over and I admit to being one of them lately. I think most complaints are from veteran RCCL cruisers. We have sailed RCCL many times and watched them take things away year after year. We are nostalgic for some part of our previous cruise experience that is now gone forever. The other thing that changed is cruise prices really hit rock bottom a few years ago. We had a bad economy and continuous bad news coming out weekly on Carnival ship problems. Cruise lines kind of panicked and were all but giving rooms away there for a stretch. Well the economy has picked back up and prices have jumped substantially. Cruise lines are also getting silly with their nickel and dime stuff beyond the cruise price which has many people fed up. NCL just added a $7 room service charge for food ordered to the room. Carnival no longer has a reggae band by the pool. They have some goofy DJ spinning 80s rap hits to the pool crowd instead. RCCL just went past the point of absurdity on their drink prices and their stock will get punished in upcoming financial quarters. Many people will refuse to pay it and will also refuse to buy an inflated drink package. I guarantee per person spending on the ship will decrease in quarters to come over these drink prices. I am so sure of what I just wrote that have sold off my entire portfolio of RCCL shares several weeks ago and that stock has treated me quite well. Those are just a few of the long list of dumb cuts by the cruise lines, but there are still many great things about RCCL and other cruise lines though. Our family is eagerly waiting for our cruise on the Independence in 2.5 weeks that we booked long ago. With that said, we have already decided this will be our last cruise on RCCL for many years to come. We are not loyal to any cruise line and other lines have just passed them by in our opinion. In the end, just enjoy your cruise if you choose to book one. Things you once enjoyed might be gone, but focus on what is there and have fun.

Very well said!

I feel that many of the "complaints" are about petty things and people forget to enjoy the cruise....

I would certainly agree with the above. We have been on twenty-five cruises including five with RCCL and have always enjoyed ourselves. We took a Serenade of the Seas repositioning cruise from New Orleans to Boston last month and felt that it was fantastic. I posted a review that was probably 98% positive. As a matter of fact I did not list a category of negatives, but rather referred to a few things as minor annoyances as in no way did we let them spoil our cruise.

On the other hand there was a poster from the same cruise who was most upset that the "Loyalty Ambassador" was not at her post at the reception desk as she had to fill in at the Future Cruise Desk. After all, he was a Diamond and had over 400 cruise credits. His knickers were in a knot over the fact that the reception for Diamonds was held in the middle of the afternoon. He would just not let it go. I am not sure if he just wanted to vent or had other problems that he wanted to complain about.

And yes, we have booked another cruise with RCCL next winter and look forward to it!:D

Really if you compare groceries up-pricing it is the same! Really? I can understand the price of chicken going up... oat going up... etc. you get the same exact product going up in price. I accept that. I really do. But lets say... boneless skinless chicken WAS $2.50 lb and it went up to $3.00 a lb. OK BUT when you have chicken" at $2.50 a lb. and went to $3.00 a lb. but now it has "bones, fat and skin, Is it OK?

I know I don't explain things the way I understand things but I know some people may be able to for me? Old cruise pricing compared to todays???

I really do hate to sound like a complainer because I usually am not. It is hard to swallow when I am paying much more for the same cruise and get a lot less etc. BUT with that said, we learn to adjust i.e. don't drink on the ship etc. and in the end for 1 whole week a year I don't make a bed, I don't make any meals, I don't sweep or vacuum any floors, I don't do any dishes, I don't do any laundry, heck I don't even have to plan anything! And THAT is why I will continue to cruise as long as my bank account allows it. :D

Are you really always paying more for the same cruise? In our experience, we surely are not. We started our cruising life in February 2004 on Navigator -- it was a 7 night cruise in a balcony cabin; we had a great time, got hooked on cruising. We have done quite a few cruises since, all on Royal (simply because we have enjoyed all that Royal has offered us from food to entertainment). Now we are researching some options for 2017. One is Navigator for almost the exact same week we went in 2004, but this time it will be a 9 day itinerary. The 7 day itinerary in 2004 cost us 2200; using todays prices if we cruise on Navigator in 2017 for 9 days it will cost us 2300. Same type of balcony cabin. Seems like we are getting two more days, and the average cost per day per person is less.

Are you really always paying more for the same cruise? In our experience, we surely are not. We started our cruising life in February 2004 on Navigator -- it was a 7 night cruise in a balcony cabin; we had a great time, got hooked on cruising. We have done quite a few cruises since, all on Royal (simply because we have enjoyed all that Royal has offered us from food to entertainment). Now we are researching some options for 2017. One is Navigator for almost the exact same week we went in 2004, but this time it will be a 9 day itinerary. The 7 day itinerary in 2004 cost us 2200; using todays prices if we cruise on Navigator in 2017 for 9 days it will cost us 2300. Same type of balcony cabin. Seems like we are getting two more days, and the average cost per day per person is less.

Actually the exact same cruise. First time on the Adventure was 3 years ago I believe and it was $1,600.00 this year it was $1,800.00 and next years I paid $1,900.00 for the same ship, the same itinerary and the same balcony room mid ship. So, $300.00 increase doesn't seem much and it isn't really but when you add in all the cuts that have been made along with the huge increase in the alcohol pricing/tips and all the nickel and diming now it goes way beyond $300.00. C&A benefits have decreased etc. I wouldn't mind a price increase if the product stayed the same.

Actually the exact same cruise. First time on the Adventure was 3 years ago I believe and it was $1,600.00 this year it was $1,800.00 and next years I paid $1,900.00 for the same ship, the same itinerary and the same balcony room mid ship. So, $300.00 increase doesn't seem much and it isn't really but when you add in all the cuts that have been made along with the huge increase in the alcohol pricing/tips and all the nickel and diming now it goes way beyond $300.00. C&A benefits have decreased etc. I wouldn't mind a price increase if the product stayed the same.

Not saying you are wrong generally but specifically which C and A benefits have decreased in the last 3 years? Adventure actually got a very nice Diamond lounge last year which we really enjoyed and I would count as an extra for D and up passengers.

Julie

Your specific example would be very true you have seen an increase. As I pointed the Navigator cruise we are considering and comparing a 2004 cruise we took with one we are looking at for 2017, I would say the cost pp/pd has decreased. I could also add that we are going on Navigator in November 2015 on her 6 day itinerary. It is a 6 day over Thanksgiving, and we are paying significantly less than we did for the 7 day proportionally, but it is over a holiday week -- therefore I did not use it in my comparison.

I know that D+ cruisers cannot use the Concierge Lounge any longer on some ships, it is for Pinnacle and Suite Guests -- but it is not as if they have no lounge, they still can enjoy the DL (they are Diamonds afterall).

Have I become disappointed that some changes have been made? Not always. On the bigger ships they have put more and nicer food venues to eat 24/7 besides the WJ (which isn't open 24/7 anyway). Do I miss the chocolates on my pillow? No.....I have enough food to add calories, that those I don't need, and can't resist eating. I do wish the staff wasn't thinned out as much...they work incredibly hard, and having more cabins to take care of or tables to wait on makes them work harder. But I 'personally' have never seen much of a decline from my cabin steward or wait staff -- I attribute that to the way I interact with them. Do I miss the 'French glove table service' -- absolutely not!

This is an old and great quote regarding business. On the other hand, I've listened to some people that complain often about everything. As difficult as it is, I try to keep negative people out of my life or at least at a distance. I also don't know why, but for me personally, the compliment of a business holds hold weight for me than the complaint of a business. So when I hear good things, I hold on to those good thoughts.

I think its important to hear both sides of any story to make a good decision whether its about a business, or something else.

That's why I think a believable negative comment is every bit as important as a believable positive one.

Reality is there is good and bad in everything, even in RCL, and knowing both is equally important, otherwise you're living in a unreal world.

Happy cruising.:)

I think its important to hear both sides of any story to make a good decision whether its about a business, or something else.

That's why I think a believable negative comment is every bit as important as a believable positive one.

Reality is there is good and bad in everything, even in RCL, and knowing both is equally important, otherwise you're living in a unreal world.

Happy cruising.:)

This is so true....I hope at some point we cruise together, since I enjoy many of your replies. The world of 'perfect' doesn't exist, except in the mind of all the complainers, that can't seem to be very happy. I am not inferring that if something isn't going right, someone shouldn't complain -- but they need to take the complaint immediately to the person/department that can make it right.

I agree with most of the Posters. I have only cruised RC this far. Are their little things on every cruise that maybe i wish were different? Maybe but i cant remember them. I am so glad when I can board that ship and that I dont have to go to work for that many days, that you could put me on the BIGGEST POS ship in the world, I would still be happier than I am sitting here at work cruising CC!

We felt the same way you do about 10 years ago. Only cruised RCL!

Then the other cruise lines caught on to the success of RCL's new larger ships, and they made changes, and over the last 10 years the other cruise lines have made great strides, and in our opinion, offer a very competitive/similar cruise that you get with RCL.

The NCL Getaway/Breakaway class, The Carnival '2.0' Conquest Class, and Dream Class, the MSC Fantasia Class, all offer terrific cruises, and many times at a much lower cost then RCL.

The result for us is where we used to take 6+ cruises a year on RCL, now we might take one. And the reason is cost, RCL costs more, and the others deliver a similar product now for less.

So in our opinion, if RCL continues with its current business plan, they will attract 'new' cruisers, but will lose a lot of their long time cruisers loyalty.

Happy cruising.

Not saying you are wrong generally but specifically which C and A benefits have decreased in the last 3 years? Adventure actually got a very nice Diamond lounge last year which we really enjoyed and I would count as an extra for D and up passengers.

Julie

Unfortunately I am only platinum so I don't get any diamond benefits. Pretty much being forced to buy an alcohol package removes any buy one get one free or half off so that's gone. I think someone mentioned the internet has been decreased. I don't really know. I sit in front of a computer all day at work so I avoid it while on vacation :D

This is so true....I hope at some point we cruise together, since I enjoy many of your replies. The world of 'perfect' doesn't exist, except in the mind of all the complainers, that can't seem to be very happy. I am not inferring that if something isn't going right, someone shouldn't complain -- but they need to take the complaint immediately to the person/department that can make it right.

Agreed, we've all seen those people who complain about everything.

When we ever had a problem on any cruise line, we were always polite, and we were almost always met with an employee who was polite back to us.

That's not to say we always got what we wanted, no one does.

And that's what I think these complainers of everything might not understand,.

Happy cruising.

Unfortunately I am only platinum so I don't get any diamond benefits. Pretty much being forced to buy an alcohol package removes any buy one get one free or half off so that's gone. I think someone mentioned the internet has been decreased. I don't really know. I sit in front of a computer all day at work so I avoid it while on vacation :D

If the only thing that has disappeared is the BOGO on a drink, in favor of the drink packages (if the drink package is more effective financially for you over an entire cruise), that would seem like a small issue.

If I remember correctly, some balcony discounts may have changed or the OBC that goes along with booking on board may have changed -- but not a significant amount to make me go crazy -- and maybe that is just DH and I.

Maybe we just get enough of the things that we enjoy, and don't worry about other things that don't matter much.

They haven't removed my BOGO on board of the Johnny Rockets shake (on the ships that have a JR), so I am still fine. (LOL)

If the only thing that has disappeared is the BOGO on a drink, in favor of the drink packages (if the drink package is more effective financially for you over an entire cruise), that would seem like a small issue.

If I remember correctly, some balcony discounts may have changed or the OBC that goes along with booking on board may have changed -- but not a significant amount to make me go crazy -- and maybe that is just DH and I.

Maybe we just get enough of the things that we enjoy, and don't worry about other things that don't matter much.

They haven't removed my BOGO on board of the Johnny Rockets shake (on the ships that have a JR), so I am still fine. (LOL)

:D As long as I don't have to make my bed, cook any meals, do any dishes, vacuum, sweep, dust, hear a phone, go to work... I am happy

:D As long as I don't have to make my bed, cook any meals, do any dishes, vacuum, sweep, dust, hear a phone, go to work... I am happy

The bad day on a cruise is still a better day than being at work. So I can't disagree with your sentiment.

Agreed, we've all seen those people who complain about everything.

When we ever had a problem on any cruise line, we were always polite, and we were almost always met with an employee who was polite back to us.

That's not to say we always got what we wanted, no one does.

And that's what I think these complainers of everything might not understand,.

Happy cruising.

I just called into my company to alert them to a problem and 'softly complain' about the reply I had already gotten when I took the issue to a manager the other day. Nothing more that I can do, but continue to do my job. But it also won't prevent me from enjoying doing my job (aside from it being work) and I can separate the two.

If I have a problem on a ship (rare that happens, but it does and can happen) -- I alert those in management, we work together to overcome it and then -- then I GO ON TO ENJOY my cruise!!!

I think this is a concise and very rational response in this thread.

I have always posted the good and the not so much in my reviews including this last one which, I think, is generally positive. When reading reviews by others, I general disregard both the "WOW it was all perfect" and the "Will NEVER sail RCI again".

I will say that my son, DiL and the other non RCI veteran friends have no frame of past reference and thus, no problem with the lost "feel" that we noticed and noted. Perhaps RCI has made a business decision to attract first, or relatively new cruisers with fewer expectations while they wait for us old people to die off. Who knows but, ultimately, it's their ballgame and I have no objection to whatever they decide subject to my own cost/value analysis.

With that said, we are nowadays taking a much harder look at other cruise lines or even (the horror) all inclusive on land.

Edited by JohnGaltny

I will say that my son, DiL and the other non RCI veteran friends have no frame of past reference and thus, no problem with the lost "feel" that we noticed and noted. Perhaps RCI has made a business decision to attract first, or relatively new cruisers with fewer expectations while they wait for us old people to die off. Who knows but, ultimately, it's their ballgame and I have no objection to whatever they decide subject to my own cost/value analysis.

With that said, we are nowadays taking a much harder look at other cruise lines or even (the horror) all inclusive on land.

Newbie here - who like your son - may not know about what was 'lost'. I've also looked into all-inclusives on land...and they're so EXPENSIVE. To get the food, the activities, and the rooms that I get on-ship is 200% more and lot of them don't even include food (like the Disney packages or Mexican resorts or the buffets in Las Vegas).

Edited by cruisevv