Puerto Vallarta

afkpar

We were on the Golden last month.

I went to the shore excursion desk to switch an excursion to one my DH really wanted to do, the San Sebastian Colonial and noticed on the board they have up, showing all the different excursions, most of the one's in PV that were a distance away were cancelled, including that one, some zip line tours and the Tiles and Tequila one.

I knew something was wrong because these are some of the more popular tours and they don't have a problem filling up.

We did what we usually do and grabbed a taxi to the Malecon. It was totally fine and never felt anything was different.

Now I know why all those tour were cancelled.

My next door neighbors (who are 90 and 92 yrs old) just returned from their 2 week timeshare stay in PV. Their timeshare is north of the airport, in/near Nuevo Vallarta.

He mentioned the flurry of activity on May 1st, most notably the sirens of police and fire trucks, and several military vehicles driving past his complex. They were unable to go into downtown that night for dinner, since their complex (and those nearby) were locked down. The government wanted no "non-essential" vehicles on the road that day/night.

They went downtown the next night for dinner, and had no qualms about going about during the rest of their stay. In his opinion, everything had quieted down by the next day or so.

Guess it's up to the original poster as to whether or not they'd feel safe going to PV in the near future (or, in their case, next year). If it was me, I'd gladly go to PV. It's a great city that's unfortunately being maligned by a small band of punks who don't represent the majority of Jalisco's citizens.

Here is something that was posted today in Yahoo Travel regarding traveling in Mexico: https://www.yahoo.com/travel/is-mexico-safe-for-american-tourists-right-now-118874480792.html

I think it presents a balanced view of the real situation travelling in Mexico. The good, the bad and advice for avoiding trouble.

The good news for people on this site is that the cruise lines are really, really good at keeping people from straying outside "tourist Mexico". Therefore the chances of being involved in problems are next to zero, especially in ship-sponsored activities.

Here is something that was posted today in Yahoo Travel regarding traveling in Mexico: https://www.yahoo.com/travel/is-mexico-safe-for-american-tourists-right-now-118874480792.html

I think it presents a balanced view of the real situation travelling in Mexico. The good, the bad and advice for avoiding trouble.

The good news for people on this site is that the cruise lines are really, really good at keeping people from straying outside "tourist Mexico". Therefore the chances of being involved in problems are next to zero, especially in ship-sponsored activities.

Thanks for posting a very good article. Much of the recommendations here apply not only to Mexico but to most other foreign countries ( as well as many areas of the US) Great reminders of best ways to stay safe and avoid problems.

Dixon

This is from our travel agent re: our Crystal cruise leaving Los Angeles on May 25:

"Please be advised we will cancel our call to Puerto Vallarta due to violence in the region and replace instead with an overnight call in Cabo San Lucas. The safety and security of our guests and crew are always of the upmost importance, which has led to the decision to alter this itinerary.

We will be arriving in Cabo San Lucas on May 27th at 3:00 PM and overnighting till we depart at 12:00 noon on May 28th."

Personally I am pleased that Crystal is being proactive.

This is from our travel agent re: our Crystal cruise leaving Los Angeles on May 25:

"Please be advised we will cancel our call to Puerto Vallarta due to violence in the region and replace instead with an overnight call in Cabo San Lucas. The safety and security of our guests and crew are always of the upmost importance, which has led to the decision to alter this itinerary.

We will be arriving in Cabo San Lucas on May 27th at 3:00 PM and overnighting till we depart at 12:00 noon on May 28th."

Personally I am pleased that Crystal is being proactive.

Too bad Crystal canceled, as again this uproar in Puerto Vallarta lasted only 1 morning(!) on May 1. No injuries happend due to warnings before. Unfortunately the often repeated bad news even days and days later when all was quiet again gave the wrong impression to many people. I know places in the world where incidents with tourists happened but where ships still sail.

Carnival Miracle has been back and other will follow as you can read in this report: http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Puerto-Vallarta-and-cruise-officials-vow-to-communicate-better

Edited by Ine

The cancelations were on repositioning cruises. The Mexican Riviera cruising season has ended and there weren't any other ships due to stop there for months.

Time will tell whether PV will be on the itinerary in the Fall. Anything could happen between now and then.

Very Bad Info Pam....

CCL is still calling on the Mexican Rivera including PV

Let me preface this with saying that I am in Puerto Vallarta a month each year. Love it!

But one can't be glib about the advisories especially from the US State Dept:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

An excert from that advisory;

[Jalisco: Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, and Lake Chapala are major cities/travel destinations in Jalisco – Exercise caution throughout the state, particularly in rural areas and when using secondary highways. Violent clashes between criminal organizations and government authorities, and related disturbances including barricades of burning vehicles blocking major roads and highways, are ongoing concerns that typically occur without notice. Defer non-essential travel to areas of the state that border the states of Michoacán and Zacatecas. The security situation along the Michoacán and Zacatecas borders continues to be unstable. U.S. government personnel are authorized to use Federal toll road 15D for travel to Mexico City; however, they may not stop in the town of La Barca for any reason. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from personal travel to areas of Jalisco that border Zacatecas, and are prohibited from intercity travel at night.

After all of this, one has to exercise due diligence for themselves. /COLOR]

The State Department warnings are geared for their own employees, not the general public. They go over the top to protect themselves from liability claims from their employees, if something happens.

I don't feel that you are correct about these warnings being for employees. The beginning of the advisory states:

Mexico Travel Warning

LAST UPDATED: MAY 5, 2015

The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens about the risk of traveling to certain places in Mexico due to threats to safety and security posed by organized criminal groups in the country. U.S. citizens have been the victims of violent crimes, such as kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery by organized criminal groups in various Mexican states. For information on security conditions in specific regions of Mexico, which can vary, travelers should reference the state-by-state assessments further below. This Travel Warning replaces the Travel Warning for Mexico, issued April 13, 2015, to update information about the security situation and to advise the public of additional restrictions on the travel of U.S. government (USG) personnel.

I think DMK is correct when she says each person will make a decision for themselves. I don't think people can blow off an advisory like the one above. Some feel the situation is exaggerated others do not. Get all the information you can and make your own decision.

I certainly do blow it off. The wonderful state department issued a warning for San Carlos a couple years ago based on incidents that never happened. Considering who is in charge there, I don't believe anything that is said in those warnings. I do my own research and trust my instincts. I have been traveling safely throughout Mexico for more then 50 years and living there part-time since 2011. I know where not to go anymore and how to keep myself safe.

. I do my own research and trust my instincts. I have been traveling safely throughout Mexico for more then 50 years and living there part-time since 2011. I know where not to go anymore and how to keep myself safe.

absolutely! I agree with you 100 %. Everyone should gather their information and make their own decisions accordingly.

I certainly do blow it off... I have been traveling safely throughout Mexico for more then 50 years and living there part-time since 2011. I know where not to go anymore and how to keep myself safe.

While you are more than welcome to blow off any advice from the State Department based on your experience, I don't think it is a good idea to dismiss them out of hand for others.

Many people don't know how to assess a situation in a foreign country where they don't understand the language, culture or laws. Unlike you, they don't have 50 years of traveling experience, in fact they might have none and be on their very first trip outside the US.

The state department's warnings on Mexico are valid to me. I know people who have lost family members to kidnapping. Secondary highways are dangerous - especially at night. Not just from criminals, but from accidents as well. The violence is real. When was the last time criminals shot down an army or police helicopter in the US?

Don't get me wrong, I travel frequently in Mexico. I have family there. I travel off the main roads and am frequently in locations where "extranjeros" are rarely seen. However, I always respect my surroundings and don't think I have some kind of protective bubble surrounding me.

The good news is that the cruise ships do a good job of keeping people out of trouble and the Mexican government devotes resources to keeping tourist locations safe. This, however, doesn't mean people should be reckless or think that Mexico is similar to the US when it comes to violence and the rule of law.

But how many cruise passengers are going to be driving on secondary highways or at night--neither of which is not a safe thing to do in Mexico (and many places in the U.S.)? The average cruise passenger is going to stay in the tourist zone, which is a safe place. But, it is still best to be informed and learn some Spanish. It amazes me how many long-time expats can't speak Spanish.

The Mexican people, as a whole, are warm, giving, and friendly. Yes, there are the bad ones, but we have a whole bunch of them in this country, too.

Edited by Laurie S.

Indeed the warning is still going on, but also mentioning to avoid rural roads etc. Hardly any cruise passenger will travel there, certainly not at night. No helicopter was shot down by criminals in the US, but you might remember the (unfortunate) recent shootings of policemen in the USA.

On Internet you will certainly find incidents that happened to tourists elsewhere in the world (or maybe near where you live) in the meantime.

Since May 1 IN Puerto Vallarta all has been quiet and safe.

I know a lot of canadians and americans living fulltime in Vallarta, which they enjoy so much.

I certainly do blow it off...

Your first quote suggests that the warning is without merit.

But how many cruise passengers are going to be driving on secondary highways or at night--neither of which is not a safe thing to do in Mexico ...

Your next statement suggests it does have merit. Which is it?

I think that the travel advice posted by departments of state are a good source of information for travelers. I personally review what is published by the US, UK and Australia.

The average cruise passenger is going to stay in the tourist zone, which is a safe place.

We are both in agreement that almost cruise ship passengers are unlikely to experience problems due to a variety of factors. However, I just want people to understand Mexico isn't just like the US when it comes to travel.

But, it is still best to be informed and learn some Spanish. It amazes me how many long-time expats can't speak Spanish.

We agree on this as well. You're going to have a lot harder time understanding what it going on around you if you can't use the local language.

My advice to those that don't speak Spanish is to stick close to the tourist sites and ship-based tours or those independent guides who have internet reviews.

The Mexican people, as a whole, are warm, giving, and friendly. Yes, there are the bad ones, but we have a whole bunch of them in this country, too.

You are correct, the US has good people and bad just like in Mexico. The Mexican people are largely warm and giving. The difference is that the weaker governmental institutions inside Mexico enable those bad elements to have a much freer reign when it comes to preying upon others. That's why the ex-Mayor's wife in Iguala thinks she can order the execution/elimination of 40+ activist students with impunity.

Your first quote suggests that the warning is without merit.

Your next statement suggests it does have merit. Which is it?

All warnings have some merit, but the state department warnings go over the top. When we first started traveling in Mexico in 1961, we knew not to go on secondary roads or to drive at night, so that's nothing new.

I think that the travel advice posted by departments of state are a good source of information for travelers. I personally review what is published by the US, UK and Australia.

I do my research, too, but check much more than government writings.

We are both in agreement that almost cruise ship passengers are unlikely to experience problems due to a variety of factors. However, I just want people to understand Mexico isn't just like the US when it comes to travel.

That's true it isn't, but again, we're talking about cruise passengers, which is very different than traveling in Mexico.

We agree on this as well. You're going to have a lot harder time understanding what it going on around you if you can't use the local language.

My advice to those that don't speak Spanish is to stick close to the tourist sites and ship-based tours or those independent guides who have internet reviews.

You are correct, the US has good people and bad just like in Mexico. The Mexican people are largely warm and giving. The difference is that the weaker governmental institutions inside Mexico enable those bad elements to have a much freer reign when it comes to preying upon others. That's why the ex-Mayor's wife in Iguala thinks she can order the execution/elimination of 40+ activist students with impunity.

True, and again, I don't see any cruise passengers going to places like that. Neither would I. I also won't travel to Baltimore and a lot of other places in the U.S. anymore.

True, and again, I don't see any cruise passengers going to places like that. Neither would I. I also won't travel to Baltimore and a lot of other places in the U.S. anymore.

or Waco, Tx. If that same shooting (at least 9 killed) would have happened in Puerto Vallarta.......................

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/multiple-people-killed-biker-war-waco-texas-restaurant-n360336

or Waco, Tx. If that same shooting (at least 9 killed) would have happened in Puerto Vallarta.......................

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/multiple-people-killed-biker-war-waco-texas-restaurant-n360336

I am sure there will be a warning by the Canadian and US governments that nobody should visit Texas because 9 people were killed and 18 people were injured in the shooting in a restaurant by rival gang members (not). One of the policeman said it was one of the most gruesome crime scenes he had seen in 34 years of law enforcement. (If that had happened anywhere in Mexico it would be on the front page of newspapers but instead today on page 3 of the Globe and Mail a small column detailing the shootings.)

there are no cruise ships going to waco texas or chicago or any inner city of usa...

the concern is the violence in mexico as it may affect cruise passengers...

cruise lines do not need to wait for first killing of cruise passenger to decide what to do....

they have a business to run and need to protect their customers...

there are no cruise ships going to waco texas or chicago or any inner city of usa...

the concern is the violence in mexico as it may affect cruise passengers...

cruise lines do not need to wait for first killing of cruise passenger to decide what to do....

they have a business to run and need to protect their customers...

But then there were no casualties or injuries in Puerto Vallarta on May 1. !!! or before or after that day......

And yes there will be plenty of tourists in e.g. Chicago....not on a cruise, but arriving by plane or car.

Edited by Ine

I am sure there will be a warning by the Canadian and US governments that nobody should visit Texas because 9 people were killed and 18 people were injured in the shooting in a restaurant by rival gang members (not). One of the policeman said it was one of the most gruesome crime scenes he had seen in 34 years of law enforcement. (If that had happened anywhere in Mexico it would be on the front page of newspapers but instead today on page 3 of the Globe and Mail a small column detailing the shootings.)

I beg to differ as something did happen in Mexico over the weekend with a higher body count than Waco. However, I didn't see it reported in any newspaper here.

Here is the link (sorry it is Spanish): http://www.informador.com.mx/mexico/2015/592537/6/asesinan-a-11-personas-este-fin-de-semana-en-acapulco.htm

The story's title - "11 People Assassinated this Weekend in Acapulco". One of the killings, of a taxi driver, occurred near the tourist zone. Another was beheaded and tortured.

Pretty sad state of affairs in the city that was once the jewel of the Mexican Riviera and frequent destination of cruise ships.

Another example, but like Waco, not in a cruise destination. Did read in any non-Mexican news about the 30 young people who disappeared in Chilapa after about 300 armed men took control over their town between May 9th and 14th?

Here is the story (sorry again, it is in Spanish): http://www.milenio.com/policia/desaparecidos_Chilapa_Guerrero-secuestran_Chilapa-violencia_Chilapa_Guerrero_0_520148257.html

I just cannot accept the statement that the level of security in Mexico is somehow comparable to the US - even in Baltimore and Waco.

Please realize, I didn't post these things to bash Mexico. I only post these things to help awareness in this community. I have family and friends there and only want the best for the country. I truly hope Mexico will one day rid itself of the violence and corruption and reach its true potential - which is enormous

:(

I agree with you not all of Mexico is safe unfortunately. However in this case we are talking about Puerto Vallarta where cruise ships dock again and passengers donot have any problems walking around, taking a bus, going to the beach etc. . Less tourists now because the highseason is over.

It is too bad that the incidents on the morning of May 1 , where no tourists or locals were harmed, keep coming up as if it is a constant warzone.

Well that certainly isnot the case.

Life is back to normal that is what I am trying to explain.

However is those same unfortunate shootings like Waco or Chicago would have happened in Vallarta it would have been more then headline news for days.