2016 Panama Canal Sailings?

Based on their deployment and port bookings, plus the information coming from them, no, there will be no Panama Canal cruises in 2016/2017.

That is really disappointing. I'm ready to book one of these cruises for late Dec '16 or early Jan '17. I and am really a bit shocked at the lack of choices available - NCL has only 1 ship (pearl), and a small number of additional (expensive) options from Princess and Celebrity.

I am also a bit surprised at how expensive the NCL Pearl is. They are wanting $140ish per passenger per day for balconies. We could get on Harmony (maiden season) for that price! I guess beggars can't be choosers...

That is really disappointing. I'm ready to book one of these cruises for late Dec '16 or early Jan '17. I and am really a bit shocked at the lack of choices available - NCL has only 1 ship (pearl), and a small number of additional (expensive) options from Princess and Celebrity.

Princess will be releasing some more Panama Canal for that period. See attached.

2016_2017_PanamaCanalReferenceFlyer.pdf

I just finished a 19 night Panama Canal cruise with NCL and it was wonderful. I see that NCL had four spring crossings in 2015 with only one on the Pearl in 2016. I am wondering if this has to do with the uncertainty of the opening of the new locks. We are also thinking that the cruise will cost more in fees because they will likely force larger ships like cruise ships to take the new locks. Also, someone mentioned that with oil prices down, some commercial ships are considering the trip around South America rather than the very expensive PC crossing.

I imagine that cruisers who want to do the PC full transit will have fewer choices in the near future, or at least in 2016.

I just finished a 19 night Panama Canal cruise with NCL and it was wonderful. I see that NCL had four spring crossings in 2015 with only one on the Pearl in 2016. I am wondering if this has to do with the uncertainty of the opening of the new locks. We are also thinking that the cruise will cost more in fees because they will likely force larger ships like cruise ships to take the new locks. Also, someone mentioned that with oil prices down, some commercial ships are considering the trip around South America rather than the very expensive PC crossing.

I imagine that cruisers who want to do the PC full transit will have fewer choices in the near future, or at least in 2016.

I think the fall off of RCI presence in Canal transits is just because they have found other markets to place ships... as in the Far East. While the opening of the expansion locks is certainly behind the original target date of Aug. 2014 and is now April 1 2016, I don't think the lack of transits is due to the increase of tolls. The Canal has announced a restructuring of the tolls effective on the opening of the expansion locks. Presently most cruise ships pay $134/passenger berth and with the opening in April the toll will go to $138/passenger berth. Cruise ships too large for the present locks (Post-Panamax) will be charged $148/passenger berth to use the new locks. Those figures don't really sound too high.

I don't believe a trip around the Horn would be a viable economic alternative to transiting the Canal even if the if oil prices were even cheaper. A trip from California to Florida around the Horn may be sold as a unique trip, but I don't think it would ever be more economical than taking the ship through the Canal. When you factor in the almost additional 8000 miles, the length of time to sail those extra miles, crew wages, port fees and we still have to figure on fuel... the $300 to 400K detour through the Canal doesn't seem like a bad deal.

There is one additional problem the Royal faces with some of their post Panamax ships that include the Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class ships... as currently configured they have too much sticking out of the water! Presently the air draft limit for the Bridge of Americas is 205' depending on the tide. Voyager/Freedom have an air draft of 208'. There is enough clearance at the BoA that an exemption could be granted for passage, but this would only be for a limited amount of passages, probably no more than 2 or 3. Beyond that they would have to do something to bring the ship into compliance. The Oasis class as of now are even taller even with the stacks lowered. On the other hand the Quantum class are right at the 205' limit. The bottom line is they just don't have that many ships that will readily lend themselves to Canal service when you consider all the options where they can deploy the fleet. The Canal is just not very high on their radar.

Anyway, count me in as among the disappointed in the lack of Canal itineraries... may have to scout out the competition:eek:.

Princess will be releasing some more Panama Canal for that period. See attached.

Thanks for the info! I'll hold off on booking the NCL until I get a chance to see pricing from Princess. Any idea when they will actually post pricing on these recently announced cruises?

Thanks for the info! I'll hold off on booking the NCL until I get a chance to see pricing from Princess. Any idea when they will actually post pricing on these recently announced cruises?

I have been looking for 2016 sailings also. Did you look at Holland America? Maybe Celebrity or RC will add more sailings.