Aarp gift cards!!!!!!!!!!

mabones

I put a Carnival gift card in my cart on AARP and it said taxes would be added at checkout. I did not realize we have to pay sales tax on gift cards. If my state tax is 7.5% that makes my savings only 2.5% instead of 10%?

I have bought over 15 Carnival Gift Cards over the years and never paid taxes. Maybe it has to do with the state you live in?

I have bought over 15 Carnival Gift Cards over the years and never paid taxes. Maybe it has to do with the state you live in?

I have never had to pay taxes either. It doesn't make sense you are not buying a product. I would try to go to checkout and see what happens right before you purchase them. You do not have to continue if that is the case.

Let us know what you find out!

Donna

I put a Carnival gift card in my cart on AARP and it said taxes would be added at checkout. I did not realize we have to pay sales tax on gift cards. If my state tax is 7.5% that makes my savings only 2.5% instead of 10%?

I never had to pay taxes on mine and I have purchased them while living in both Arizona and California.

They do charge .59 per card for delivery, but that is a small amount in regard to the savings. I try to buy $500 cards as you only pay .59 delivery versus 5-$100 cards at .59 each.:)

You're probably located in the same state as the clearinghouse. When I worked in e-tail, we had to charge sales tax to anyone who ordered from the same state, county, or city as we were located in. It sucks, but it is what it is. Or you live in a state that enforces sales tax on online purchases. Technically, you're supposed to report online purchases and pay taxes on them, at least in my state. But here it's on an honor system of sorts.

For that price, I think I might look into a credit card that offers rewards points for travel that are more in the 5% range. Or one that has a hefty sign-up bonus for spending $X in Y days.

Edited by Sugaree5335

You DO NOT pay tax on the purchase of gift cards. Anywhere, anytime. The tax is collected when you use the gift card to make a purchase of taxable goods.

The website says that as "stock" text because they also sell items for which they are legally obligated to collect sales tax. If you go all they way through to the point where you would put in your CC information, you'll find that the purchase is not taxed.

I never had to pay taxes on mine and I have purchased them while living in both Arizona and California.

They do charge .59 per card for delivery, but that is a small amount in regard to the savings. I try to buy $500 cards as you only pay .59 delivery versus 5-$100 cards at .59 each.:)

I do just the opposite, i purchase each $100 individually. This way i get the 1000 pt promo code in each mailing. So it ends up a points wash. 59 cents is worth it to me to not have to scrounge for points. I book my air thru carnival if its the same as everywhere else. That way i can use even more carnival gift cards.

I have never paid sales tax, but I did pay a slight amount ($1.81) for mailing....still a savings. But here's a tip......I had to pay the 'shipping/mailing' and the cost remained $1.81 no matter how many cards I ordered, but if you order them individually you will be charged the $1.81 for each order.

I have never paid sales tax, but I did pay a slight amount ($1.81) for mailing....still a savings. But here's a tip......I had to pay the 'shipping/mailing' and the cost remained $1.81 no matter how many cards I ordered, but if you order them individually you will be charged the $1.81 for each order.

Shipping is .59 per card. No matter the denomination. No matter how they are mailed.

There is no sales tax.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Edited by cruizinisthebest

• 2 weeks later...
Can you use them for onboard credit if you went though a TA? If so, how?

They can be used toward credit on your S&S account once on board whether you book with a TA or directly with Carnival. In that sense they become "onboard credit", but you cannot use them to fund your account before checking in at the port.

They can be used prior to checking in to pay for the cruise or excursions, but not purchases from the Fun Shops (Bon Voyage).

When you check in (at some ports, but not all) you can put the amount on your account with the agent at check in. If that option is not available you can add the amount to your account on board at the self-serve kiosks or guest services.