Anchroage to Seward pre cruise

akke29

We will be arriving late at night in Anchorage, renting a car and staying downtown. The next day our plan was to leisurely make our way to Seward to board our cruise on the Celebrity Millennium. I've priced out all the options and this seems to be the best one for us, that gives us great flexibility. Any thoughts on this plan? What do most people do when sailing from Seward?

If you look thru the trip reports (STICKY above) you'll see that people have used all the transfer options to reach Seward; Park Connection Bus, Seward Buslines, Alaska Railroad, cruiseline transfer, independent transfer, or rental car.

Many people enjoy the train because it's relaxing and lets them enjoy the scenery, particularly the one portion where the train deviates from the hwy and gets close to a glacier. The early morning train gets you to Seward by noon so there's time for a Kenai Fjords cruise prior to boarding the ship.

I've only driven ( car or RV) and find the route to be very scenic. About 125 miles. A car gives you the ability to make stops along the way for wildlife and other points of interest. A one-way rental is pricey, but again it allows more sightseeing opportunities. ....the Wildlife Conservation Center, the boardwalk at Potters Marsh, gold panning, tram at Alyeska Resort, hikes, Portage Lake/Glacier, and Exit Glacier just outside of Seward. And ice cream at Summit Lake Lodge. Suggested stopping points in this link:

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

And more stops for the entire drive:http://www.alaska.org/guide/seward-highway

Thanks for the advice. We arrive after midnight, so the 645am train was a non starter as were the morning busses. The car, including parking at the hotel is about $200, not much more than the train or bus for 3 people. I'll read through the sticky as well.

We will be arriving late at night in Anchorage, renting a car and staying downtown. The next day our plan was to leisurely make our way to Seward to board our cruise on the Celebrity Millennium. I've priced out all the options and this seems to be the best one for us, that gives us great flexibility. Any thoughts on this plan? What do most people do when sailing from Seward?

Personally I would take the train from Anchorage to Seward. It leaves really early, but it a wonderful ride and you get to Seward before noon allowing some time to explore town.

Some people may want to take advantage of being in Alaska, especially with short time.

A lot, link Alaska with this plentiful wildlife. If the interest- then the jackpot tour is a Kenai Fjords boat tour- loaded with varied wildlife, and close up glacier viewing. I never miss it. :)

That is a low rate for the car rental, one way Hertz. Could also be a great option.

Driving is the only way to go as you can stop when and where you want. Trains do not stop to give you a good photo op. They just zoom past them and if you are not looking at the right time or you do not have your camera ready - tough. That said, there must be something to going places by train even though I can not figure out what it is as many people use the trains in AK.

DON

Driving is the only way to go as you can stop when and where you want. Trains do not stop to give you a good photo op. They just zoom past them and if you are not looking at the right time or you do not have your camera ready - tough. That said, there must be something to going places by train even though I can not figure out what it is as many people use the trains in AK.

DON

Exactly the kind of experience I was looking for. Thanks for the confirmation. I don't want to spend TOO much time getting down there as I want to take advantage of the ship as much as I can.

Exactly the kind of experience I was looking for. Thanks for the confirmation. I don't want to spend TOO much time getting down there as I want to take advantage of the ship as much as I can.

Taking advantage of the "ship", wouldn't be my suggestion. Taking advantage of "Alaska" is far more superior in my opinion.

Taking advantage of the "ship", wouldn't be my suggestion. Taking advantage of "Alaska" is far more superior in my opinion.

Of course! We'll maximize our time in Alaska, but we don't want to get to the cruise at the last minute! We're so excited!