just off the Pearl's first 2015 Alaska cruise.

Manbo

In a single word, Awesome! The ship was sweet and weather was spectacular!

The number of folks came down with Noro virus. But most of us felt NCL handled it well.

A detailed review coming in a few days. But be warned, I can't think of anything bad to report!

How was the weather and the ports, etc. - welcome home & look forward to details. BIL/SIL and a group of seniors are sailing next weekend so will give them a heads-up on Noro.

This is definitely going to put a big spin on the ongoing hot topics on takeout food & room service delivery.

We arrived home today about 2:30pm from a wonderful cruise! We had sunshine every day! The morning we were in Juneau it rained some, but while we were out whale watching it cleared! In Ketchikan I returned to the ship and left my sweatshirt as it was too warm to wear!

They did have the Norovirus rear its ugly side, but they were handling it well. (I would rather be a bit inconvenienced, then catch that bug!) More to follow but I need to go clear the suitcases off the bed............I can't seem to find my room steward!:eek:

We arrived home today about 2:30pm from a wonderful cruise! We had sunshine every day! The morning we were in Juneau it rained some, but while we were out whale watching it cleared! In Ketchikan I returned to the ship and left my sweatshirt as it was too warm to wear!

They did have the Norovirus rear its ugly side, but they were handling it well. (I would rather be a bit inconvenienced, then catch that bug!) More to follow but I need to go clear the suitcases off the bed............I can't seem to find my room steward!:eek:

I just posted on this cruise roll call---I am still suffering from the Noro virus outbreak. i just wish the staff had been ordered to take precautions sooner. :(:(

They need to get control of the norovirus on that ship. It's been reported for a few months now on and off. Final payment is due Tuesday I'm wondering if I should choose another ship. Thought this would be taken care of by now....I'm getting worried.

Edited by Siora7777

Lovely. I have literally had a cold- flu-cold- sinusitis since the end of April. While I know the meds the Dr prescribed are definitely doing their thing,the last thing i want to have to even think about getting sick again!

While I won't allow it to damper my excitement of our upcoming sailing on the Pearl, I think I will bring a pack of Lysol or Clorox wipes for a good wipe down in our stateroom when we arrive. Maybe instead of a second fleece jacket,I'll pack a hazmat suit?!...you think you've seen just about everything?....wait til you see me walking around in a bright yellow suit with binoculars around my neck and a UBP drink in my hand ;)

I just posted on this cruise roll call---I am still suffering from the Noro virus outbreak. i just wish the staff had been ordered to take precautions sooner. :(:(

I find this very scary. I'll be on the Pearl with my kids June 14. I have never had noro, or been on a ship with noro. When you are feeling up to it, please educate me a bit. Were noro preventions in place when you boarded, like no self-serve, etc? When did they first start? How do they let people know? And most importantly, do you have any suggestions on how to avoid it?

I find this very scary. I'll be on the Pearl with my kids June 14. I have never had noro, or been on a ship with noro. When you are feeling up to it, please educate me a bit. Were noro preventions in place when you boarded, like no self-serve, etc? When did they first start? How do they let people know? And most importantly, do you have any suggestions on how to avoid it?

Noro is on every ship, it is just a matter how prevalent. Here's what we do: bring Clorox wipes and upon boarding we scrub every surface in the stateroom including frig, phone and remote. Aside from that, wash hands often and try not to touch public surfaces... I use my knuckles to push elevator buttons. Keep in mind that the typical hand sanitizers found on ships do not kill noro-type viruses. WASHY WASHY - HAPPY HAPPY!

Noro is everywhere! It's just that on ships it's easier to see it. Just be mindful and aware; wash your hands frequently, especially after touching surfaces, and all should be fine. Noro isn't airborne so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Airplanes are one of the worst places to contract Noro. Many other public places are worse than our beloved cruise ships (with their constant cleaning of surfaces) as well. Flights, however, and time spent in other public areas, are shorter in suration than the incubation period for Noro (about 24-48 hours). If a person contracts Noro on an airplane they are more likely to blame the last thing they ate than the dirty tray table or bathroom door handle on the plane (especially when the only others they know who got sick are their family members who traveled with them who also happen to be people they shared recent meals with).

On a cruise ship, however, where you are there for several nights, the virus has time to incubate. By the time you become symptomatic, others aboard have too and you are able to better assume that the virus came from the ship.

So while you are more likely to contract Noro elsewhere, they are frequently reported on cruise ships more often because the evidence that suggests such is handed to us on a silver platter.

This courtesy of your CruiseCritic resident epidemiologist. I'll be on the Pearl in 5 days and am not worried at all. Just wash your hands frequently, open bathroom door handles with a paper towel, and try to avoid putting your hands to your eyes, nose, and mouth!

I wouldn't worry. We survived without contracting it. Just never pass a hand sanitizing station with using it!

Sorry, for the delay rely, but was still trying to recover from the Noro. Maybe someone else has answered already, but I will too..NO---> no self-serve implemented till the last day of cruise in buffet after Capt. made announcement.

All I can suggest is wash endlessly..I did and used disinfect wipes/spray in cabin and Germ X on hands (from my own bottle in my purse)... & still got it. DD got it 2 days after we got home.

Sorry don't mean to put a damper on anyone's upcoming cruise on the Pearl...just being honest with my answers and info.:(:(:(

Edited by monakayk

Hope you get back to feeling great! BTW, what was your cabin number?

Thanks for the well wishes....feeling better today. Cabin # 5538----great location...and I am sure they thoroughly have cleaned the cabin. We were told to leave it by 7 AM on disembarkation day. Plenty of time for them to disinfect it. Also....one last word.. I saw the staff were cleaning the walls of the halls on the evening before the last day (when i got sick) before the Capt. made the announcement. So the staff really should've been told to implement precautions in the buffet at least that evening..which we did not notice. i hope they have done a better job now for all the cruisers on board the Pearl.

Edited by monakayk

Interesting...l. We were on the Pearl last June 2014 and our ship had an outbreak of Noro. By the 3rd day it was evident when they cleared the tables of salt and pepper shakers, no self service and hand sanitizer in the elevator. Sorry you got sick as I'm sure that wasn't fun.

Wife and I both contracted the Virus on Day 6 of the 7 - 17 May 15, Pearl Alaska Cruise, We both practiced aggressive hand washing practices after hearing 3 guests were quarantine on day 3 'all from the same cabin'. I wrote the COO a letter to capture my observations and recommendations. Top 3 concerns:

1. Ship needs to be more upfront that medical services for Gastro Intestinal issues is FREE- This will eliminate any reluctance to seek care and self report- I also commended the Medical team for their care and concern during our sickness.

2. Ship needs to be more vigilant in the Out Door Grill area- Passengers have multiple entry points with out Washy Washy.

3. Control of viruses and cleanliness is a 24-7 operation for the ship, don't wait for an outbreak before your began aggressive cleaning of contact surfaces. Having just returned from a RCCl Navigator of the Seas Cruise-were the crew constantly cleaned hand rails-elevators-bathrooms-slat shakers- catsup bottles-etc. Just my two cents.

Edited by a6guy

Wife and I both contracted the Virus on Day 6 of the 7 - 17 May 15, Pearl Alaska Cruise, We both practiced aggressive hand washing practices after hearing 3 guests were quarantine on day 3 'all from the same cabin'. I wrote the COO a letter to capture my observations and recommendations. Top 3 concerns:

1. Ship needs to be more upfront that medical services for Gastro Intestinal issues is FREE- This will eliminate any reluctance to seek care and self report- I also commended the Medical team for their care and concern during our sickness.

2. Ship needs to be more vigilant in the Out Door Grill area- Passengers have multiple entry points with out Washy Washy.

3. Control of viruses and cleanliness is a 24-7 operation for the ship, don't wait for an outbreak before your began aggressive cleaning of contact surfaces. Having just returned from a RCCl Navigator of the Seas Cruise-were the crew constantly cleaned hand rails-elevators-bathrooms-slat shakers- catsup bottles-etc. Just my two cents.

Sorry that you got sick and I'm hoping you and your wife are feeling better!

We were on the May 17th sailing and everything you listed above was in place.

- Announcements about free medical care were made several times a day plus it was printed in the dailies.

- The out door grill area was roped off creating only one entry point plus plates and silverware were handed to you

- everything was constantly being cleaned. There were no ketchup bottles, salt/pepper shakers , etc.. on the tables. Everything had to be asked for - you could not touch anything. This did create major service issues so some did ignore the protocol. We witnessed a family at O'Sheehans help themselves to the ketchup bottle and other condiments. We happened to be speaking with the Maitre'd so we advised her of what we saw. They immediately removed the condiment bottles from that table and took them away with the dirty dishes.

They were very vigilant on our sailing but at the end of the day, there were still people that refused "washy, washy" and did what they pleased. There is only so much a ship can do.