UK residents booking via US travel agents

kiwi_sparkles

I know we're not allowed to name travel agents, and I'm not asking for a recommendation. However, I just wanted to find out how easy it is for UK residents to book with a US agent. Do all US agents accept UK residents, or are there restrictions?

Also I know some cruise lines won't accept bookings made by residents outside their own country. I don't think Celebrity is one of those from what I've read on here. However, I would be grateful for any advice as long as I don't get anyone (including myself!) into trouble.

I think most US bookings get more benefits - gratuities, drinks packages, OBC, - ability to cancel prior to final payment - than we do here in the UK (which is basically zilch!)

• Like 1

In the past I have booked with a U.S travel agent. There is no problem booking a Celebrity cruise. However, you can't book, for example, Princess or Holland America.

I have used an online agent without any problems. It used to be cheaper booking in the U.S. but these days there is no difference. The main advantage is that if you have to cancel you won't lose your deposit but you do in the UK.

• Like 1

I know we're not allowed to name travel agents, and I'm not asking for a recommendation. However, I just wanted to find out how easy it is for UK residents to book with a US agent. Do all US agents accept UK residents, or are there restrictions?

Also I know some cruise lines won't accept bookings made by residents outside their own country. I don't think Celebrity is one of those from what I've read on here. However, I would be grateful for any advice as long as I don't get anyone (including myself!) into trouble.

I think most US bookings get more benefits - gratuities, drinks packages, OBC, - ability to cancel prior to final payment - than we do here in the UK (which is basically zilch!)

I once booked a 7-day Caribbean cruise on Reflection, with a leading online US TA, with no issues and plenty of benefits.

We have booked both Royal and X cruises through a US TA. I think you will find that the Carnival Group do not allow this practice i.e. Princess, Cunard etc. We have also booked onboard and had the reservation transferred to our US TA.

You are correct on the refundable deposits, free movement of cabins within categories, price drops, guarantee cabin changes within the same category, TA OBC and other perks such as speciality dining, paid grats etc. When you make a payment it is direct from X and not to the TA which is the case in the UK (obviously unless you book directly with X).

The deposits are more expensive than over here, however using the Captain's Club 50% discount, this does make it more affordable. Additionally, US final payment date is 75 before whereas the UK is 57 (I believe).

It may be worthwhile obtaining recommendations at your next Connections party ;).

I found the one TA I looked at required up front details from me before I could look at prices, since then I've been inundated with spam. Additionally, prices look good at the start but then there are all sorts of fees and charges which have to be added, which are included in the UK prices.

It's exceptionally simple to book with a U.S. TA. Having moved to London from Florida 3+years ago, I was stunned to see some of the cruise rates offered locally. I still can't figure out why there is such a discrepancy. I can understand within reason as with any product but thousands of pounds/dollars different? And then add the other booking incentives and the bottom line is even more significant. Furthermore the ability to make changes to a booking only compounds the benefits to booking with a U.S. TA.

Do your homework. I have found a couple of Med cruise rates that were better booked locally but those were seemingly exceptions.

I use a TA in Florida, he is great,

Sometimes the exchange rate makes it almost

The same as booking in the UK,

But the benefits are far out way this,

For example we booked on board got all of

The 123 go perks for Aqua class plus he gave us

Another $300 OBC when we transferred the booking,

The best benefit is that if a better cabin becomes available

It's switched no problem, plus they seem to know

More than UK TA's who gave a propensity to say

Computer say No,

It is not a problem, as mentioned above. As a TA I can tell you it can be done, and happens all the time. I have liners in other countries (most of whom I know personally) but location for most cruise lines does not matter.

We have booked both Celebrity and Cunard trips with a US TA and live in Australia. Princess cruises seem to be the only line I have wanted to book that wont allow it.

Now our AUD has fallen so much the deals aren't as good as booking with Celebrity direct. Celebrity offer refunds up to 100 days I think prior. I don't use Aus TA's anymore.

You are correct on the refundable deposits, free movement of cabins within categories, price drops, guarantee cabin changes within the same category, TA OBC and other perks such as speciality dining, paid grats etc. When you make a payment it is direct from X and not to the TA which is the case in the UK (obviously unless you book directly with X).

It may be worthwhile obtaining recommendations at your next Connections party ;).

interesting. our last cruise was vis a US TA but we had to make final payment to the TA.

Was a tad concerned that the money might not get there if TA went under but then realised the Credit Card regulations covered it.

If you pay CelX direct do they charge the card in US $ ?

We use an independent travel agent in the US rather than one of the big online companies. She has our credit card on file but our card is always charged directly by the cruiseline in USD. We always use a credit card that doesn't charge foreign exchange fees.

We used a US travel agent last time and was nervous as not done it before! Would happily do it again. Another perk that's not been mentioned was no credit card surcharge.

Edited by Cooso

We use an independent travel agent in the US rather than one of the big online companies. She has our credit card on file but our card is always charged directly by the cruiseline in USD. We always use a credit card that doesn't charge foreign exchange fees.

Same here but VillaUK said he paid CelX direct which Is what I would prefer .

Like you I use a credit card with no Forex charges. Currently best is according to Money Saving Expert (Martyn Lewis) Halifax Clarity card. best rates and no charges [emoji41]

It's easy once you have one.

On our last Caribbean cruise we saved £200 each, on the New Zealand cruise the year before £480 each. Over 5 people that's a lot of cash.

Watch out for the exchange rate changes and always do the comparison with a low rate.

We've even booked Princess via a U.S. TA in the past without an issue.

We used a US travel agent last time and was nervous as not done it before! Would happily do it again. Another perk that's not been mentioned was no credit card surcharge.

Very good point . And the money you save could be used for the St Leger meeting ?[emoji41]

It's easy once you have one.

On our last Caribbean cruise we saved £200 each (excluding perks) on the New Zealand cruise the year before £480 each (including perks not offered in the UK). Over 5 people that's a lot of cash.

Watch out for the exchange rate changes and always do the comparison with a low rate.

We've even booked Princess via a U.S. TA in the past without an issue.

Edited by nijh
Couldn't edit earlier post

We have booked a few cruises now with a U.S. Agent and without any problems! And we have a pre-paid dollar MasterCard which we load £s on when we think the rate is good... That way you get a mixture of rates and over a year it tends to work it's self out to be a decent rate overall... Plus when I tell our agent to take a payment it shows up on my card as a celebrity payment so it's done direct from my card to celebrity... Seems the safest & best way for us [emoji4]

Edited by MR_T

We have booked a few cruises now with a U.S. Agent and without any problems! And we have a pre-paid dollar MasterCard which we load £s on when we think the rate is good... That way you get a mixture of rates and over a year it tends to work it's self out to be a decent rate overall... Plus when I tell our agent to take a payment it shows up on my card as a celebrity payment so it's done direct from my card to celebrity... Seems the safest & best way for us [emoji4]

Good to see you back Mr_T . Hope you looked after the Eclipse for us ? [emoji41]

Would you be so kind as to tell me where one can get said dollar mastercard please ? if you dont want to put it on here you could email 'chris at ladesign dot biz'

We use both a U.S. agent and a small agency here in the UK. We have been happy with both but if any slightest doubt that we would need to cancel we use the U.S. agent as we can get the deposit back. One point is that once final payment is made no price drops are honoured in the U.S. but are on the UK. We have had them right up to a couple of weeks before sail date.

Good to see you back Mr_T . Hope you looked after the Eclipse for us ? [emoji41]

Would you be so kind as to tell me where one can get said dollar mastercard please ? if you dont want to put it on here you could email 'chris at ladesign dot biz'

You got mail...

The eclipse is in great shape! [emoji16]

We use both a U.S. agent and a small agency here in the UK. We have been happy with both but if any slightest doubt that we would need to cancel we use the U.S. agent as we can get the deposit back. One point is that once final payment is made no price drops are honoured in the U.S. but are on the UK. We have had them right up to a couple of weeks before sail date.

Interesting comment about price drops. I didn't think ANY price drop was honoured in the UK although I did know the U.S rules.