Documents Needed for Toddler in Ports

I've been on several cruises, but we will be traveling with my toddler in August on her first cruise. She will have just turned 2!

Do any parents know what documents, if any, are needed for a 2 year old when we got off at a port in order to get back on the ship? I know for adults it's your sea pass card and license. I really would NOT like to have to take her birth certificate off the ship if I don't have to.

I've been on several cruises, but we will be traveling with my toddler in August on her first cruise. She will have just turned 2!

Do any parents know what documents, if any, are needed for a 2 year old when we got off at a port in order to get back on the ship? I know for adults it's your sea pass card and license. I really would NOT like to have to take her birth certificate off the ship if I don't have to.

Just the SeaPass card. I believe you only need photo ID for age 16 and over.

Is photo id new? When I cruised eastern Mediterranean in 2013 all we needed to reboard was seapass. In fact, they held our passports the whole cruise returning them the last night.

I don't know much about Med ports, but in the Caribbean, some port authorities require a photo ID in addition to the SeaPass card in order to pass through the terminal and get to the ship. I know that Nassau wants to see a photo ID.

In the Caribbean, they need nothing....cruise passengers over 16 might need to bring a photo ID ashore, but that's just for the port area...kids don't need a photo ID....therefore, no ID is needed! (You will need their BC to board the ship!)

In places where you MUST have a passport..everyone will need that...even an infant.

Edited by cb at sea

Thanks, everyone!

Just to respond to a few questions:

Yes, I am located in the U.S. And yes, most of the ports I've been too want to see a form of ID in order to match the name on the sea pass card. :)

I don't know much about Med ports, but in the Caribbean, some port authorities require a photo ID in addition to the SeaPass card in order to pass through the terminal and get to the ship. I know that Nassau wants to see a photo ID.

Cozumel checks Photo ID (at least at Puerto Maya) and so does Bermuda. But, a toddler wouldn't need one. I would bring a photocopy of the birth certificate or passport along with the Sea Pass if I went ashore with a toddler.

On our Bermuda, St. Maarten, Puerto Rico and Labadee cruise, out of NJ, our son and DIL got a passport for the cruise for their 2 yo son but only needed it to board the ship and at customs returning to the US.

For travel at the ports the 2 yo only needed a Sea Pass. As grandparents, we took our grandson off the ship in Puerto Rico but had to get permission granted from his parents before leaving the ship. We only took his Sea Pass and had no problems leaving and returning.

Those under 16 did not need a picture ID to leave and return to the ship from the islands, just their Sea Pass. When you check in, your child is registered to you so in effect, they cannot leave the ship alone or with someone else, or get back on the ship with someone not registered with the child.

We have never needed anything but the sea pass card for our little one and she has been on over 30 cruises to every port in the Caribbean and Bermuda. If you are worried about it, as others have suggested, make a photo copy of the passport and carry it with you. If you do not have a passport, now that, in my mind, should be a much greater concern.

• 1 month later...
We have never needed anything but the sea pass card for our little one and she has been on over 30 cruises to every port in the Caribbean and Bermuda. If you are worried about it, as others have suggested, make a photo copy of the passport and carry it with you. If you do not have a passport, now that, in my mind, should be a much greater concern.

On the RCL website, it states that if you are traveling from and returning to the same port (IN THE U.S.A) you can use your birth certificate instead of a passport during the customs check. This was also confirmed by a RCL representative (yes, I called them to double-check).

Thanks, everyone. I will photocopy her birth certificate just in case any ports want to match it to her Seapass card. :-)