About Ice Cream in Lido

holacanada

As a person who only likes Vanilla flavour I can say I am never disappointed about the availability. The burning question for me however is----why do they have to serve it in a hot bowl?

I could be wrong but I think HAL, at one point, was serving Edy's ice cream. Maybe that is the brand they still serve?

No S7S ! And it's a national brand of Ice Cream... ;)

Holacanada

Edited by holacanada

When we first started cruising with HAL the Lido ice cream brand was Breyers (called Dreyers on the west coast). I have no idea what they serve now, but I imagine it changes with the differences in contracts HAL can arrange.

We always order the Not-So-Baked Alaska in the Pinnacle. That is made with Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia, the best ice cream flavor ever concocted.

When I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam back in the winter of 2012, the ice cream in the Lido was the most flavorless ice cream that I had ever eaten. I don't know if it was that particular ship or if HAL served a different product that particular year, but thankfully it was more flavorful on the Noordam, which I've sailed three years in a row since then.

If you want ship-made ice cream you need to cruise on Celebrity. Each Celebrity ship carries a trained ice cream maker who spends all of his work time producing various flavors of ice cream. HAL apparently now uses regular commercial ice cream but we know not the brand (or brands). We have never had a problem with the quality of the ice cream on HAL, but just the lack of interesting flavors in the Lido. Speaking of ice cream, Princess makes amazing Italian Gelato for their International Cafes (not on all the ships) which is sold for a low price (used to be about $3 for several scoops. Celebrity also has Gelato on their ships served at a special cafe, but we never thought it was good as the Princess product.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I never knew that there was such an interest in ice cream. I'm also one of the ones that just eats vanilla, never a problem, never run out. On those hot sea days I have more then a couple of bowls out back around the pool every day, the wife is always embarrassed about how much I eat. As soon as I show up the ice cream girl fills my bowl with out me saying any thing.

Allan

When we first started cruising with HAL the Lido ice cream brand was Breyers (called Dreyers on the west coast). I have no idea what they serve now' date=' but I imagine it changes with the differences in contracts HAL can arrange.

We always order the Not-So-Baked Alaska in the Pinnacle. That is made with Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia, the best ice cream flavor ever concocted.[/quote']

We have both Breyers ice cream and Dreyers ice cream available in all major grocery stores. Not the same company.

We have both Breyers ice cream and Dreyers ice cream available in all major grocery stores. Not the same company.

Thanks. I had always heard they were the same company and see now I was wrong. I looked it up when I read your post. Dreyers and Edys are the same company and since Dreyers is so often confused with Breyers they are changing the Dreyers name nationwide to Edys. We have always had Edys on the east coast and never Dreyers which has been the name on the west coast and Texas. At least that is the info on google.

No S7S ! And it's a national brand of Ice Cream... ;)

Holacanada

I don't know of any CC rule or any HAL reason you cannot name the brand. What's the secret? :confused:

Butter Pecan, Chocolate, Chocolate Chip, Coconut, Coffee, Cookies & Cream, Guava, Mango, Neopolitan, Rum Raisin, Strawberry, Vanilla, Vanilla Fudge

Here are the flavours of ice cream I could identify on the Oosterdam while my last experience.

Have a good day !

Holacanada will be aboard the Veendam in 43 days

Was it guava sorbet or guava ice cream? Either sounds incredible

On our Zuiderdam Med. cruise we took on 4-12-15 the ice cream selection was pretty boring. Always had vanilla, strawberry & chocolate. Very occasionally we got additional varieties but less than more. Chocolate chip mint, butter brickle, mocha, rocky road & coconut. No soft serve the whole 22 days that we were on board. The selection has defiantly gone down hill over the last 3+ years.

Edited by rajkr74

Thanks, Holacanada. :)

I think they use different company's

I think so' date=' too.

I've seen ice cream cartons from brands I recognize and I've also seen large commercial size cardboard color containers where I saw no commericial identification. I am sure they have changed brands through the years I've been sailing HAL..... probably a number of times. :)

[/b']

Please note they will not all be available every day. The choices vary by day and there are sometimes more choices than other days..

Vanalla is there every day!

Edited by Himself

Vanalla is there every day!

Yes, what I wrote was Please be aware they will not all be available everyday........ :)

Sure, Some may be available everyday (usually vanilla, chocolate and strawberry) but not All the flavors listed by OP. :)