Black Forest

avewal4

According to Deutsche Bahn there is no train connection, you take a bus that runs Mondays to Fridays only. The journey takes 48 minutes one way.

You might have more luck researching this through a European train travel website. Especially as the aftermath of the strikes are effecting my research on Deutsche Bahn. :(

It looks as if it could be awkward to get to Colmar. Freiburg, being on a direct route from Breisach, is easy.

notamermaid

Vielen Dank. I simply looked at Google maps and it looked not too far. Wouldn't want to miss the boat.

A couple of years ago we took the Uniworld Provence and Burgundy riverboat cruise. In my research found the optional Black Forest trip..after back and forth in my mind, we took it. Read lots of negative and lots of positive on it.

Guess what? We loved it. When are we going to be there again?

The restaurant for lunch was not only charming but delicious. The coo coos were interesting..we did not buy one. However, the scenery was gorgeous. The views were real photo ops. Bottom line...can read whatever you want...maybe we were lucky but enjoyed that afternoon in the Black Forest.

my 2 cents..

Rick

Thanks Rick! I was just getting ready to cancel the optional tour I already booked to the Black Forest next month based on all that I have read here...until I read your post!

I will stay with my original plan to go to the Black Forest, buy a cuckoo clock, and enjoy the scenery on the way!!! :D

Our Avalon cruise stops in Strasbourg for a morning walk then we have the option of Black Forest (not doing that) or Colmar. Should we save our $$ and stay in Strasbourg or go to Colmar??

I have done both and I think you should as well. I love Strasbourg with their canals, flower boxes, farmers market (bought delicious cheese there), home of the EU and somewhat urbanized. Colmar is more medieval, signs hanging above shops indicate what they do or sell (hog meaning butcher), beautiful squares, flowers meandering streets. I loved Colmar and I couldn't choose between the two - in fact, I'd love to go back and do both again on a land visit. If I knew how to add pictures, I'd add some on Colmar.

Thanks Rick! I was just getting ready to cancel the optional tour I already booked to the Black Forest next month based on all that I have read here...until I read your post!

I will stay with my original plan to go to the Black Forest, buy a cuckoo clock, and enjoy the scenery on the way!!! :D

Wendy:

Every house should have a cuckoo clock.....but only one!!! Make sure you buy one that has a light sensor so it doesn't cuckoo all night long!!! :D Seriously. Oh, and if you have a cat the clock will provide hours of entertainment while kitties try to figure out a way to get that little birdie!!

Edited by Hydrokitty

Our Avalon cruise stops in Strasbourg for a morning walk then we have the option of Black Forest (not doing that) or Colmar. Should we save our $$ and stay in Strasbourg or go to Colmar??

We have the same exact options. We're choosing to stay in Strasbourg and go off on our own after the walking tour.

Strasbourg is very interesting on several levels. The bus will take you by the EU buildings, the walking tour will show you the quaint neighborhood -- and if your cruise doesn't include it (and the weather is ok) you can take a canal cruise that offers a third perspective. Colmar is also interesting, but we preferred Riquewihr (which was paired with it on our excursion).