Tendering in Geiranger

nyfeds

We are cruising on the Eclipse in August through the Norwegian Fjords. I see we will tender in Geiranger. If we are not taking a ship's excursion, can we still get off the ship quickly when we dock or do we need to wait for those on ship excursions to tender first? Can we just line up and get off the ship without waiting?

Thanks!

Edited by nyfeds

We just sailed on the Eclipse -9 -16 May and were "docked" - so getting off was very easy. A new floating pier has been installed and it is my understanding that RC and Celebrity have made some investment into it so will get priority over other lines who will have to tender. There were two other ships there when we were docked and then tender rides were taking 10 minutes.

Sorry if I did not make my question more clear.

If tendering, do those who have booked shore excursions through Celebrity, get to tender before everyone else, not taking a ship excursion? Can those who have not booked Celebrity excursions, tender with those who have booked through Celebrity or do you have to wait? I was not questioning other ships at port that day, just getting off of the Eclipse.

Thanks.

Edited by nyfeds

My experience and other replies is that they use this new walkway in Geiranger now and don't use tendering in this port, so if I remember you can get off when you want to. Not sure what happens If you asking a more general question about tendering in any port .

I would be interested to know if there is a general rule as we are going to Greek Island and are tendered in one port

Edited by anniebea

It would be wise to check what other ships are in Gerainger on that day. A docking facility will only have room for a number of ships, probably one or two. For example, Flam fjord only has a berth for one ship and the second ship there on the day day has to tender.

But in answer to the original question, if tendering then it is privileged guests (like suites) and tours first, followed by everyone else. It shouldn't take a terribly long time since Gerainger isn't a long journey to shore like you'll find in some places, but don't bank on it to book an early private tour because sometimes things don't always go like clockwork.

Edit - my post overlapped with the previous one by Plucasan. I must have been typing slower than normal. :o So it looks like there are three ships there that day. Although Celebrity has the sea walk booked, I suppose most things can change on the day so just be a little cautious about really early plans.

Edited by Chunky2219
update

Only one ship can use the seawalk at a time. I have no idea how they decide who gets to use it, but maybe it is the largest ship in that day. it has been there for several years, as evidenced by this pic, or a ship that has gone to the breakers...

98cbx0_zps85e048f2.jpg

Vision Of the Seas several years ago

current_0_zps71a602df.jpg

current_0_zps09d3bf36.jpg

havna_zpsea4f5dc5.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

I just called Celebrity and was told we will tender. No sea walk. I may need to call again, as the link posted clearly shows sea walk.

Edited by nyfeds

As plucasana has said Eclipse is due to use the seawalk in August so the tender concern isnt needed. You can walk off as you can in any other non tender port.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suspect that when calling Celebrity they will default to tell you whatever it says in the brochure. Equally, the Gerainger schedule may be right or may be wrong. Anyone who's never had the fine details of port schedules, terminals and mooring arrangements changed during the voyage either hasn't been cruising very long or has had a rather fortunate run.

Personally, I'd plan as if it is a tender port as advised by Celebrity and enjoy the benefit if it turns out to be using the sea walk after all.

We want to take a private excursion, rather than the ship's excursion. We dock at 11AM. The private excursion is set for 12:00. We want ample time to walk to the meeting point. Just concerned about delays getting off the ship.

If you are tendering you will have to wait until the Celebrity shore excursion passengers go first. Also other passengers have priority tendering as part of their booking. Shore excursion operators know the routines, they do this for a living, they will advise you of a reasonable time to start your private excursion, and will wait for you if you are delayed.

If you are tendering you will have to wait until the Celebrity shore excursion passengers go first. Also other passengers have priority tendering as part of their booking. Shore excursion operators know the routines, they do this for a living, they will advise you of a reasonable time to start your private excursion, and will wait for you if you are delayed.

Thank you.

I believe suite passengers have priority tendering (please correct if I am mistaken). Would Aqua?

How close is the Tourist Office from where Eclipse docks?

Thank you.

Edited by nyfeds

On the recent fjords cruise our paperwork said we was going to tender... But we did indeed use the sea walk dock... I did hear that celebrity/Rccl have priority when in port to use it, how true that is I don't know? But there was 3 ships in port and it was us that used it... Back to the August fjords cruise there are 4 ships in port but no other celebrity/Rccl!