Nine surprising facts about passports

TinCan782

Lots of Americans are trying to get back on their feet after years of high unemployment and terrible economy. They don't have money for passports or travel. Then there's college tuition to consider for those with kids they want to educate. Those of us who are able to travel are truly very lucky and we should not take it for granted.

What's the difference between a passport and a visa?

The passport allows you to enter your own country, a visa allows you to enter another country. Sometimes your passport will act as a visa because of agreements that exist between the US and another country (such as the Visa Waiver Program).

I also want to add on the European/North American passport issue that for lots of us Europeans it is cheaper to go abroad than stay at home (especially for us in the UK).

Even in summer you can get a week holiday flight/hotel package to Spain et al for around £400 ($600) pp and when you compare it to a week's hotel in Devon (English coast) costing around £500 its no contest for most holiday makers.

Husband's parents pay a couple of grand for Luxury breaks in the UK which is the same cost of our 13 day cruise...I just do not get it. Ah well.....horses for courses.

There is at 10th surprising fact about your passport.

It doesn't belong to you.

If you dig into the fine print, you will learn that it is the property of your government, and must be surrendered to them or any other government organization when requested.

There is at 10th surprising fact about your passport.

It doesn't belong to you.

If you dig into the fine print, you will learn that it is the property of your government, and must be surrendered to them or any other government organization when requested.

If that is the case why do they send our expired passports back to us when we renew them? If they belonged to the government wouldn't they just destroy them?

Good to see the rules are the same over the pond. I have had a passport sicne I was a baby...that is the European way.

I just recently renewed my passport and found out that if you send a photo that is even slightly creased it is likely to be rejected as it has to go through a thing scanner.

Interestingly, when you send your old passport in the UK you get it back in a seperate mail with the corner chopped off so you get to keep all your country stamps. :D

There is a fundamental difference between the administration of US and UK passports as far as I am aware if a US citizen gets a ten year passport they typically cannot use the last six months of it for many places. So after nine and a half years they renew and get another ten year passport which effectively might be useful for only nine and a half years. The six month period keeps being lost.

In the UK you may renew your ten year passport at any time during its period of validity. If you renew it nine months before it expires your new ten year passport is issued valid for the ten years plus the nine months! They add in any period of unused validity up to nine months for the new passport issue.

This is a good benefit as no wastage occurs regarding the six months validity some countries insist upon.

There is a fundamental difference between the administration of US and UK passports as far as I am aware if a US citizen gets a ten year passport they typically cannot use the last six months of it for many places. So after nine and a half years they renew and get another ten year passport which effectively might be useful for only nine and a half years. The six month period keeps being lost.

In the UK you may renew your ten year passport at any time during its period of validity. If you renew it nine months before it expires your new ten year passport is issued valid for the ten years plus the nine months! They add in any period of unused validity up to nine months for the new passport issue.

This is a good benefit as no wastage occurs regarding the six months validity some countries insist upon.

For most people this is such a small issue that it isn't even worth fretting about. If you aren't traveling, you won't need to renew early - so "much ado about nothing". :rolleyes:

What a great benefit that is. I am just in the process of renewing my Canadian passport, just within the past year we have been able to renew them for ten years, the cost is $160 CAD and the new passport begins the day it is issued without regard for the time on the old passport. :mad:

For most people this is such a small issue that it isn't even worth fretting about. If you aren't traveling, you won't need to renew early - so "much ado about nothing". :rolleyes:

When discussing this with US citizens on cruises in the past they have felt that it is a good set up but then they have been travelling. If you aren't travelling you do not need a passport anyway. I do not expect any US citizens will fret over this, they may be getting passports cheaper per year; I have no idea, it is just interesting how different governments deal with minor administrative systems.

Regards John

What is the cost of renewing your passports?

What is the cost of renewing your passports?

UK Passports

Standard Adult (16yrs or older) £72.50 or £85.50 with 48 pages (10years)

Child (under 16) £46.00 (5 years passport)

People born before 2nd September 1929 £0.00 (free of charges)

Regards John

Edited by john watson

UK Passports

Regards John

US passports cost $110. Your Standard Adult cost compares quite closely at $110.85 when currency exchange rates are considered.

Edited by SantaFeFan

If that is the case why do they send our expired passports back to us when we renew them? If they belonged to the government wouldn't they just destroy them?

Have you considered asking that question of the people who made the rules?

Edited by BruceMuzz

Have you considered asking that question of the people who made the rules?

Nope, you were the one that made the assertion, but at least for US passports it would appear that passports do belong to the person to whom they are issued. I have never seen anything to the contrary and as I said they do return the expired ones when they are sent in for renewal.

I have no idea what the US Passport says however I just looked at my last 3 Canadian Passports that have expired, my current one is in the hands of Passport Canada being renewed, and on the first page the very first sentence reads "This passport is the property of the Government of Canada".

Nope, you were the one that made the assertion, but at least for US passports it would appear that passports do belong to the person to whom they are issued. I have never seen anything to the contrary and as I said they do return the expired ones when they are sent in for renewal.

Wrong again. They are NOT the property of the person they are issued to. Whose property they belong to is clearly described in every passport. See my comment below.

I have no idea what the US Passport says however I just looked at my last 3 Canadian Passports that have expired, my current one is in the hands of Passport Canada being renewed, and on the first page the very first sentence reads "This passport is the property of the Government of Canada".

Same with US passports. On page five of my current passport, as well as somewhere in all the expired passports I still have, can be found the words "This passport is the property of the U.S. Government. It must be surrendered upon demand made by an authorized representative of the United States Government". As with state driver's licenses, a passport is a PRIVILEGE, not a right. It belongs to the government and can be revoked at any time.

Old passports are no longer valid, so they are returned to the person who's name is on it. Expired passports have zero value associated with them and since they are not legal documents in any way, the government has no further use for them. The government, contrary to some people's assertions, is not cold blooded and heartless. They understand that many people, myself included, value expired passports as keepsakes which have a record of places that have been visited, so they are return to the original user so they can be kept as souvenirs.

Edited by SantaFeFan

UK Passports

Regards John

Thanks.

Comparable price for adults.

US passports have comparable language: "This passport is the property of the United States". It goes on to point out that it must be surrendered on demand of an authorized representative of the Government.

Of course, once it has been cancelled upon issuance of a replacement, it really is no longer a passport because it could not be used as a passport. That being the case, the government has no concern about it since it is only an invalid document with no use other than that of a souvenir."

The Canadian passport makes the following request on the inside cover, " The Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada, in the name of Her Majesty the Queen, all whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance and to afford the bearer with such assistance and protection that may be necessary."

We also now may send a current passport that is full back to Passport Canada and they will add pages to it.

Wrong again. They are NOT the property of the person they are issued to. Whose property they belong to is clearly described in every passport. See my comment below.

Same with US passports. On page five of my current passport, as well as somewhere in all the expired passports I still have, can be found the words "This passport is the property of the U.S. Government. It must be surrendered upon demand made by an authorized representative of the United States Government". As with state driver's licenses, a passport is a PRIVILEGE, not a right. It belongs to the government and can be revoked at any time.

Old passports are no longer valid, so they are returned to the person who's name is on it. Expired passports have zero value associated with them and since they are not legal documents in any way, the government has no further use for them. The government, contrary to some people's assertions, is not cold blooded and heartless. They understand that many people, myself included, value expired passports as keepsakes which have a record of places that have been visited, so they are return to the original user so they can be kept as souvenirs.

How can someone be wrong when asking a question? Thank you for providing an answer.