Should I cruise Norwegian Jade?

Perez1992

I am trying to find a great cruise for my family for Christmas , I am concerned about the limited menu in in the MDR is this an issue for anyone?

Also my dad loves movies!! Is there a place on the cruise ship to go to and see a film?

Please give me all thoughts good and bad ,

Miranda

I am trying to find a great cruise for my family for Christmas , I am concerned about the limited menu in in the MDR is this an issue for anyone?

Also my dad loves movies!! Is there a place on the cruise ship to go to and see a film?

Miranda

The Jade has been in Europe for years. I was on the shop form Rome to Istanbul. This winter the ship comes back to the North America for the first time in several years. Things may be different after it repositions.

The main dinning room has a good variety of dishes. One side stays the same the other changes every day. There are two main diming rooms and slight differences in menu between the two. There is also a venue with pub style food as well as some speciality restaurants. Others have reported that the Asian food restaurant is now also inclusive.

There is an in-house movie station on the TV. When I was on the ship form time to time they run the same movie in one of night club venues. Not quite the big screen theatre feeling. Not certain what they will do on your cruise.

Did three weeks on the Med in February.

There was a movie screened most late afternoons in one of the lounges -- never went as the cruise was quite port intensive.

We did specialty restaurants via UDP for dinners.

Lunches were the same three starters and same four or five mains every day in MDR on sea days. Airline quality food. Port days no idea as we were off the ship for lunch.

They screen movies in the Medusa Lounge most afternoons. This is the not the greatest venue for it, and as the others have mentioned, it's usually a film that you can also watch 3 or 4 times a day in the comfort of your own cabin, in 3 or 4 different languages. Or watch while you're on the treadmill/exercise bike upstairs :)

But I was on the Jade the past two Christmases (in the Mediterranean) and I think they do a fine job of getting everyone in the holiday spirit. The food is fine. The trick is to eat late and ask other people what's good before you hit the MDR!

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Things may be different after it repositions.

What do you mean with this? The overall experience on all NCL ships has been the same regardless of the location with maybe the exception of different overall feel because of passenger demography (many people from Southern European countries are more pushy and do not respect queues, for example).

The main dinning room has a good variety of dishes. One side stays the same the other changes every day. There are two main diming rooms and slight differences in menu between the two.

This is old info, with new (current) MDR menus there are no sides anymore (some dishes do appear on all menus still) and no more small differences between aft and midship MDRs - and the menus are fleetwide, I don't exactly understand OP's concern about them being "limited" on Jade.

I'm also a little puzzled by the reference to limited menus on the Jade. Perhaps the OP could clarify why they stated this.

Some people suggest that the menus in the MDRs are a bit limited fleet wide. Personally I don't agree with this, especially with the new menus, but that is personal opinion.

However, if the OP believes this is a specific issue with then Jade then they may have been misled by reading some reviews. There was a period last year when a number of reviews claimed that the MDR menus on the Jade didn't change all week. Perhaps there was a short term issue on that ship, or maybe some reviewers got confused or made assumptions, but when we have been onboard since and the manus we're standard fleet wide ones (old menus at the time).

Just returned yesterday. I thought the food in the mdr was very good. Menu was varied each evening. Always hit and service excellent. The buffet at lunch time was excellent again and always fresh.

Thanks that makes feel a whole lot better I appreciate your help!

What do you mean with this? The overall experience on all NCL ships has been the same regardless of the location with maybe the exception of different overall feel because of passenger demography (many people from Southern European countries are more pushy and do not respect queues, for example).

They do make some small changes between Europe and North America. For example second city is an entertainment option on the EPIC in North America and is replaced with sometime else when the ship is in Europe.

They will likely make some small adjustments once the ship is repositioned.

As for where they screen movies, I have never understood why they don't do that in the spinikers, it has a large screen and is a better venue for doing that.

Miranda

I have no idea what you are talking about: limited menu? There are 4 choices always available and usually about 4 choices that change each night. That isn't very limited. Here is an example of a menu from our last cruise on the Pearl: it was the final night of a 10 day cruise:

Classic dishes: which is what is availabel daily:

Roasted chicken breast

Flounder

Spaghetti Bolobnese

Sirloin steak

3 kinds of Lasagna including a vegetarian one

Main course: the one that changes nightly:

Chicken Parmigiana

Prime rib

Salmon filet

lamb shanks

Boullabaisse

plus a vegetarian dish.

There were also several soups,appitizers and salads plus desserts

Most days there is a movie shown in one of the lounges, but this isn't always the case and they may not be the best in the world. Also there are movies available for watchin in the cabin. The problem there, sometimes it is hard to find what will be showing and when.

Edited by newmexicoNita

This is old info, with new (current) MDR menus there are no sides anymore (some dishes do appear on all menus still) and no more small differences between aft and midship MDRs - and the menus are fleetwide, I don't exactly understand OP's concern about them being "limited" on Jade.

there was last month on the Pearl; one side referred to entree always available as "classic dishes" the other side Main courses. The salad part was not separated between daily and always.