Alaska Weather - recent travelers

CruzLover80

For the first time in my life, I'll actually pack ahead of the trip, not 3 hours before we leave :D. Procrastination at it's finest. Traveling across the U.S. makes you do that.

I'm trying to figure out what to pack as the weather has been unseasonably warmer than usual. I'm from Florida, so not sure as what to expect. 60 here may not be the same as on an Alaskan cruise. I know the Sun, Pearl and Jewel have already had a couple runs for the season. Any recent travelers have any suggestions?

*Edit - I post this in here as the Alaska section is not as active. Most people will comeback to the cruiseline section to post reviews.

Edited by CruzLover80

It's the same every season, every cruise. The weather can swing from rain to overcast to sunny and 70 degrees in the course of a few hours.

Pack layers. T-shirts, sweatshirts, outer thin-type rain jacket. Jeans. Sturdy footwear depending on your activities. But layers is the most important. Maybe a light backpack in which to stash layers you remove.

For the ship, do not dismiss the possibility of a pool or hot tub day. Bring shorts and swimwear if that's your thing.

With Alaska, you kind of have to pack a little more than you might ordinarily pack on a seven day adventure.

Came back last Saturday from The Jewel's first cruise of the season. Bright blue skies and arm temperatures all the way until reaching Seattle again. I took too many cold weather clothes and not enough warm weather clothes. Had a wonderful time. You will love The Jewel- great ship and great staff.

For the first time in my life, I'll actually pack ahead of the trip, not 3 hours before we leave :D. Procrastination at it's finest. Traveling across the U.S. makes you do that.

I'm trying to figure out what to pack as the weather has been unseasonably warmer than usual. I'm from Florida, so not sure as what to expect. 60 here may not be the same as on an Alaskan cruise. I know the Sun, Pearl and Jewel have already had a couple runs for the season. Any recent travelers have any suggestions?

*Edit - I post this in here as the Alaska section is not as active. Most people will comeback to the cruiseline section to post reviews.

You are going to feel cold, because of where you are from.

Like other folks have said, pack so that you can dress in layers.

I've been on 4 Alaska cruises. We have always cruised in August. Three cruises we had outstanding, warm weather. One cruise we had varying weather. Warm some, rain and cooler some.

Last summer, folks were in swimsuits on the pool deck. Lounging and soaking up the sun. One cruise, it was really cool on deck, so not many folks using the pools or hot tubs.

We always pack a couple pairs of shorts each. We generally don't wear our shorts. Dh brings jeans and a couple of Dockers for dinner wear. I bring 2 pairs of jeans, and the rest cropped/capri pants. We bring 1/2 short sleeved tops and 1/2 long sleeved tops. Then we pack a thinner zip-up hoodie and a thicker zip-up hoodie with fleece lining. We do not pack a heavy winter coat.

It works perfect, as we can layer for cooler weather.

Be sure to bring swim suits. Even if it's cool weather or raining, it's really still a good time to lounge in the hot tubs with steam rising up all around you. Heck, I was even in the pool and hot tub in the rain! It's all good!!!!!

Have a wonderful, wonderful cruise! You will love it!

We have done two cruises in May to Alaska and both times it was very warm, light jacket at the most. First time we went was the first week of September and it was freezing and raining. This year on our May 1st cruise it never rained a drop. People in Alaska told us the month of May has the least rain.

Cherie

Just got off the Jewel and it was gorgeous weather the entire week. Very warm. On a few of the days the pool deck looked like it would on a Mexican or Caribbean cruise. this was my first time going to Alaska that I didn't need anything more than just a sweatshirt. The first day I actually wore my coat was when we got off the ship in Seattle. But I'm also from Seattle where 70 degrees is warm to me if I came from a southern state where 70 is your normal winter temperature then it might not feel as warm to you. But going to Alaska it can change day to day so you really can't avoid bringing layers.

We were on the Pearl, May 7. I wore shorts half the time. A sweat shirt with a tee shirt under. We brought rain coats with hoods, we wore them twice.

April and May are the dry. Rain increases over the summer.

Just returned from the Alaska cruise on the Pearl 5/24. The weather was great! The day we were in Juneau, the temperature was 77. The weather for our day in Skagway was HOT, temperature was almost 80. I was really glad I packed some cool clothes. Most days I was fine with a short sleeve shirt, jeans and a jacket for the mornings. The only day I needed a coat was the day in Glacier Bay, and even then, it wasn't uncomfortably cold. Pack some warm things, but you will definitely need some cool things too. Dress in layers that can be removed as the temperatures rise during the day.

We're also just off the Pearl cruise that ended 5/24. Absolutely gorgeous weather. We talked with someone in Ketchikan who told us it's been like that since the cruise season started, and that no one is going to believe that it's usually rainy there.

This was our 4th time to Alaska. The first one was in early June, and it was rainy and cool part of the time that year. The last 3 have all been the week before Memorial Day, and we've lucked out and had great weather each trip -- but this was much warmer than the prior trips had been.