Tipping for room service in AUD?

Hi :)

We are getting organised for our first RCCL cruise out of Sydney. We have cruised other lines before, but never from Australia (always from US home ports).

Would I be correct in assuming that tipping for room service deliveries is normal on Royal? And if so, do you tip in Australian currency or do the crew prefer US currency?

Handing over a couple of $1 coins would seem odd but I dont think I want to tip $5 for a cup of coffee either.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Hi :)

We are getting organised for our first RCCL cruise out of Sydney. We have cruised other lines before, but never from Australia (always from US home ports).

Would I be correct in assuming that tipping for room service deliveries is normal on Royal? And if so, do you tip in Australian currency or do the crew prefer US currency?

Handing over a couple of $1 coins would seem odd but I dont think I want to tip $5 for a cup of coffee either.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

I would Tip amout $1 USD per person for a pot of coffee up to $5 USD per person for a large room service order. I don't think the crew would have a preference . Both would be good for them.

And if so, do you tip in Australian currency or do the crew prefer US currency?

Don't worry .... just do what suits you.The ship runs a banking service on board for the crew , so its over to them what they want to do with it. Its all money and I am sure that anything will be gratefully accepted.:)

Wow, I had just come to this forum to ask this question. Given that the exchange rate has been so bad but keeps having a little bounce now and then, I've been thinking of getting some USD for tipping and paying for my drinks package when I board. Given that pricing on the ship is all in USD, I thought it would be good to lock the rate in when it's good.

Edited by CoopColbie

I always tip in Us$. On our last cruise Sydey to Singapore on the rhapsody I tipped $2 for breakfast and the guy said wow that is the first tip I have had and I have delivered over 20 breakfasts. Aussies are not good tippers I am afraid. But the crew do appreciate it.

I always tip in Us$. On our last cruise Sydey to Singapore on the rhapsody I tipped $2 for breakfast and the guy said wow that is the first tip I have had and I have delivered over 20 breakfasts. Aussies are not good tippers I am afraid. But the crew do appreciate it.

What's the difference between an Australian and a canoe? Canoes sometimes tip! :eek:

We have a stack of US $1 bills we use for tipping on cruises. The staff are happy to get a tip (especially in Australian waters) regardless of the currency.

I hasten to add, for sake of clarity, that we always prepay our gratuities and just use cash for incidental tipping like room service or if we get a drink in the theatre.

What's the difference between an Australian and a canoe? Canoes sometimes tip! :eek:

We have a stack of US $1 bills we use for tipping on cruises. The staff are happy to get a tip (especially in Australian waters) regardless of the currency.

I hasten to add, for sake of clarity, that we always prepay our gratuities and just use cash for incidental tipping like room service or if we get a drink in the theatre.

Well said, yes we always prepay tips and then tip a bit more if we want to.

We give the room steward a tip at the beginning of the cruise and if the service is good we give another larger tip at the end

Our MDR waiters and drink waiter get a tip at the end

We do not participate in the compulsory tipping

John

Wow, I had just come to this forum to ask this question. Given that the exchange rate has been so bad but keeps having a little bounce now and then, I've been thinking of getting some USD for tipping and paying for my drinks package when I board. Given that pricing on the ship is all in USD, I thought it would be good to lock the rate in when it's good.

What price are they quoting you for the drinks packages?

On our Rhapsody cruise the drinks package online started at AU $84 for the Ultimate package, then two weeks before the cruise it jumped to AU $99. :eek: Since I wasn't sure whether we'd want a package - wanted to see what the MDR wine list was like for starters - I waited until we boarded. We got the package for US $67 including gratuities which worked out about AU $85 in the end, I think.

I think they would prefer USD but we tipped our waiters extra in AUD cos thats all we had. Better than nothing! We never used room service though. I guess us Australians arnt used to tipping so we have no idea when we should.

The price rise could have been when they upped the prices by 40% or could have been due to exchange rate. The packages onboard are $22USD (no achohol), $42USD (beef, wine) $57USD (beer wine cocktails) and $67 USD for everything. They also had a $8 usd one for just soda.

Edited by clm1982

We give the room steward a tip at the beginning of the cruise and if the service is good we give another larger tip at the end

Our MDR waiters and drink waiter get a tip at the end

We do not participate in the compulsory tipping

John

I hope you realize this just means that your steward and waiters get less money, because when the auto tips are removed they must split any money that get with the people who would have received the auto tips, such as laundry, dishwashers and cooks. It's only money above any beyond auto tips that they get to keep personally.

As for the OP, I've actually found the couple of times we've got room service it's been our attendant that has bought it and he's always hurried out too quick for us to hand him the tip! We do tip extra at the end though so I guess it covers it.

Surely you don't believe for one moment that the compulsory tips are shared amongst the crew who don't get tips

I have read several books written by ex crew members who verify that no crew members receive any extra money from the cruise companies from the compulsory tipping. They go on to say that the crew members who make the most money from tips (and NOT wages) are the cabin stewards followed by the table waiters and drink waiters

There are some suggestions that tips given to the stewards and waiters are pooled and shared out by the crew but how would anyone know if a steward for instance had any tips given to him and if so, how much?

I have asked our stewards if the tips we gave have to be shared and they said NO

I have also emphasised to our steward that we are tipping him for the good service HE has given to us and if we thought for one moment he was going to share it with someone who had done nothing for us then we would not be very pleased with that

John

I have read several books written by ex crew members who verify that no crew members receive any extra money from the cruise companies from the compulsory tipping.

So are you saying that the daily gratuities are just kept by the cruise company? They are not distributed to any crew members at all? :confused:

Royal Caribbean claims

"Our guests’ complete satisfaction is the goal of every crew and staff member onboard. The gratuity is shared between the crew members who serve guests throughout their holiday – the Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and other Housekeeping Services Personnel. They are aware of the gratuity policy and are grateful for the acknowledgment."

Princess claims

"This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet."

Cunard claims

"The Hotel and Dining charge will be shared amongst those staff that helped provide and support your cruise experience, including the restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and accommodation staff, buffet stewards and others"

And I expect the rest of the cruise lines say something similar.

Are you saying these companies are lying?

Back to the OP thks for a good question given that we dont have $1 bills that makes it tricky to use AUD I agree using the coins doesn't seem right either.

I had been wondering the same thing for our Celebrity cruise NZ to Aust later this year. NZD AUD USD? Tiping is tricky enough let alone introducing multiple currencies lol

I have also emphasised to our steward that we are tipping him for the good service HE has given to us and if we thought for one moment he was going to share it with someone who had done nothing for us then we would not be very pleased with that

John

Just as you have passed on money that you have gained and it doesn't matter how, sometimes stewards need to pass on payment to staff that have done things for them. Whether that's covering for them in another area so they can do something at a certain time for you, or just doing multiple things at once, or if they are sick.

Honestly, if you are happy with the service that the steward has given for you, why should you then want to control how the steward spends his money?

Back to the OP thks for a good question given that we dont have $1 bills that makes it tricky to use AUD I agree using the coins doesn't seem right either.

I had been wondering the same thing for our Celebrity cruise NZ to Aust later this year. NZD AUD USD? Tiping is tricky enough let alone introducing multiple currencies lol

Why doesn't a coin seem right.

surely a $ is a $ is a $. They are going to either use it n port or bank it on board.

When we buy $US, we always ensure we get a stack of $1notes which makes tipping for room service a breeze. Admittedly, we have had to buy $US anyway as we weren't on locally based cruises but somehow a $US1 seems more valuable than a AU$1 coin. (Well, I know it is, :D but even when there was parity it just seemed 'better'). Maybe, it's just me, but I feel more comfortable tipping in USD.

However, with a ship that's based in Aus for several months where the crew is constantly coming and going from Aus ports, then they may well appreciate AUD. I guess there is no real right or wrong and at the end of the day a tip will be appreciated regardless.

Whenever getting overseas currency for a holiday , it is important to get small denominations.....

even if you have to order it.

If you have to give a tip , or make a small purchase , a $100 note can be useless.

I would like to see all cruise lines incorporate the tips in the upfront price then if we wish to tip for special service we can. Until then we will just prepay tips. I did notice a drop in service on our Rhapsody cruise, I couldn't help but think it is because we "Aussies" are not good tippers. At the bars we felt they always tried to give us the most expensive drink, a $10 vodka instead of the house vodka $7.50.

I would like to see all cruise lines incorporate the tips in the upfront price then if we wish to tip for special service we can. Until then we will just prepay tips. I did notice a drop in service on our Rhapsody cruise, I couldn't help but think it is because we "Aussies" are not good tippers. At the bars we felt they always tried to give us the most expensive drink, a $10 vodka instead of the house vodka $7.50.

That is why, despite the upfront cost, I'll be prepaying tips and drinks. It's just easier that way. The $1 bills are to ensure that when my drink is empty I don't have to wait too long for another one. [emoji6]

Edited by CoopColbie

I cannot comment on whether the Cruise lines are lying about where the compulsory tipping goes to or not

I am only repeating statements from 3 different ex crew members who have commented about this in their books. I suppose they could be lying!!!

In my post I do not see where I am trying to control anyone. I expressed a personal opinion after commenting to the stewards that my tip was for appreciation for services provided to me by him (no one else)

That is a matter for your interpretation of my comments and if you want to read that into my comment that is your prerogative

John