Quality

mcrcruiser

SailEd the reflection, 2nd week in Jan. 2014, in aquaclass for $1299 including grats, classic beverage package and $200 on board spending.

Sailing the Silouette same week in 2016 for $50 less per person in cruise fare (aquaclass), grats, classic beverage package and $400 on board spending.

Some difference may be difference between eastern v. Western but $300 cheaper 2 years later keeps me thinking that the prices are still pretty good.

My next 3 cruises on X are Alaska Solstice in July, Solstice Vancouver to Honolulu and next May Infinity Pacific Coastal San Diego to Vancouver. They are all in Aqua or Sky suite. This will put me at 24 cruises with X. They are the most expensive cruises on X to date for same cabin type. I think it is mostly because they are on the West Coast. Only one cruise has 1,2,3 offer.

Folks keep complaining about the cost of specialty restaurants but, as I've posted before, I was almost always gable to get 30 to 50 percent off several restaurants on any given night if I didn't insist on dining during prime time. This makes in pretty reasonable. At least that was my experience.

I have been cruising since Celebrity purchased the Meridian. I have been on Princess, HAL, RCCL, Disney, NCL and Celebrity. We have seen all the changes and prefer cruising now better than then. Cabins are larger, better choice of meals, nicer interiors, more windows, many more veranda's, a very nice diversity of people, etc. Service IMO has not gotten worse, just more generic because of all the different people you have to work with. IMO I think the cruise lines have gone over and above trying to please all of the people all of the time, instead of some of the people some of the time. And since we know no matter how hard we try, there is always that one person who is not happy and cries the loudest. Each line has their own ups and downs, but to this day I truly prefer Celebrity as far above all the others in every category. IMHO!

Gary

I have been cruising since Celebrity purchased the Meridian. I have been on Princess, HAL, RCCL, Disney, NCL and Celebrity. We have seen all the changes and prefer cruising now better than then. Cabins are larger, better choice of meals, nicer interiors, more windows, many more veranda's, a very nice diversity of people, etc. Service IMO has not gotten worse, just more generic because of all the different people you have to work with. IMO I think the cruise lines have gone over and above trying to please all of the people all of the time, instead of some of the people some of the time. And since we know no matter how hard we try, there is always that one person who is not happy and cries the loudest. Each line has their own ups and downs, but to this day I truly prefer Celebrity as far above all the others in every category. IMHO!

Gary

Well said!!! Same experience and same feelings!!

Gary

You have cruised HAL & Celebrity .how would you compare these two lines ?

That is interesting about the NCL specialty restaurants . We just get the feeling that Xs Specialty restauramt prices are not worth the money .When they were first introduced ,we used them & thought it was good value . Now ,imo they are over priced when you add in the meal that you gave up to dine in one of those restaurants:eek:

We have a 21 night cruise SD to Sydney Oct 3rd on HAL's Noordam .We have sailed HAL in the past ;but ,not for some time ;as we too like Celebrity .It will be interesting for us to make comparisons between the 2 lines Celebrity does not do this route from SD ;as of now;)

Murano is now $50 a head, plus any additional tips and wine, this may set you back $200. Granted Murano is a 5 star dining experience and is top notch, but that is pricey!

We sailed HAL Westerdam last year to Alaska. As a comparison to Celebrity, we had a fabulous lunch in the Pinnacle Restaurant while cruising Glacier Bay. Spent a couple hours in there, eating food that was excellent and having a full window view of the glaciers. The Maitre D said we can sit there as long as we wanted, so we ordered some wine and relaxed in luxury. The cost was $10 pp. :eek:

When you are on Noordam in October, check out the Pinnacle lunch. Fabulous!

Murano is now $50 a head, plus any additional tips and wine, this may set you back $200. Granted Murano is a 5 star dining experience and is top notch, but that is pricey!

We sailed HAL Westerdam last year to Alaska. As a comparison to Celebrity, we had a fabulous lunch in the Pinnacle Restaurant while cruising Glacier Bay. Spent a couple hours in there, eating food that was excellent and having a full window view of the glaciers. The Maitre D said we can sit there as long as we wanted, so we ordered some wine and relaxed in luxury. The cost was $10 pp. :eek:

When you are on Noordam in October, check out the Pinnacle lunch. Fabulous!

Thanks we will try Pinnacle as you recommended :D

We work in customer service, so when it comes to vacation we love the "Suite Life". We always sail in a suite and enjoy the perks it offers. This is our preference to sailing. HAL is the closest comparison to Celebrity from RCCL, Carnival, Princess, NCL. IMO. Have never been on Cunard so can't compare. HAL: Pro's, Excellent food, service, clean and friendly. Cons: No butler service, suites décor below par, room service not to standards, smoking allowed inside ship (not sure if still the fact) , poor traffic flow. Celebrity: Pro's- Butler service, Michael's Club, Larger Suites and balconies, concierge service is more on a one on one basis. Service seems to be a notch better Cons: The food has lost points, although good, nothing seems to be great. Heading to Luninae in a week, will let you know if it has improved. No indoor or balcony smoking But I have to say the way of eating has changed greatly over the years. So food reviews are extremely subjective. This is all a personal review and am sure quite different from others. One thing I will say; I still feel cruising is a great way to see the world and we will continue to use their services.

Gary

what do you prefer in Celebrity vs HAL ?

X S Class ship layout, brightness of ship, whereas, HAL very dull. HAL seems to have a much older group. Have done 10 HAL cruises on 8 different HAL ships (Bronze.) Have done 20 X cruises on 9 different ships (Elite+.) HAL is not as good in the entertainment, decor, food selection and taste. We do cruise RCI (Diamon+) and Princess (Elite), too. Each line has their pluses and minuses. We go for ports and cost. Bennies do help, too.

If I were to rate cruise line ships as major factor I would rate:

1. RCI Oasis Class

2. Princess Royal and Regal

3. X S Class

4. HAL Dam ships. LOL

Gary

We first sailed with Celebrity in 1994 on the Zenith. Oh how we wish we had the chance to set foot on the Meridian. After 7 diff lines over the years, :)

We first sailed with Celebrity in 1994 on the Zenith. Oh how we wish we had the chance to set foot on the Meridian. After 7 diff lines over the years, :)

In reflection, the Meridian was a nice ship for it's time. But in truth we much preferred the Zenith and Horizon to the Meridian. For some reason when you boarded each of the two you felt warm and safe. It was as if it engulfed us and made us feel very secure. I know it sounds quite emotional. but we really do miss them both. Now our suite has a balcony with whirlpool and table and lounge chairs, back then, a suite on Zenith or Horizon gave you a larger cabin and you had a picture window. I remember always wanting to reserve the one suite with two rooms and that was the only true suite. Thanks for bringing back the memories.;)

Victoria