HELP - Upgraded to worse cabin - best course of action?

vagporto

Stormy seas are highly unlikely on an inside passage out of Vancouver- possibly rough out of Seattle but cruises out of Vancouver tend to be more like a river cruise.

No, that is true: I haven't seen them stacked and moved on the Vancouver to Vancouver run.

But I wouldn't call even one of our 14 Alaska cruises a river cruise. I wish!

I remember a poor lady sitting outside off Campbell River (!!) looking particularly green. I kept thinking it was good that cruise wasn't going to Seward!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Of your list, the only thing is it is close to an elevator. We find that to be a benefit. We never heard (in the cabin) any noise from the elevator or elevator lobby area.

2547 is under another cabin, not a galley or showroom.

Try it, you just might enjoy having that starboard window on the Alaska cruise!

We actually select rooms next to the elevator & have for years. We've never encountered a problem with hearing any disturbance from the elevator; however, I've read quite a few threads where passengers complain about noise from lounges/restaurants above them. You won't have to deal with any of that. You may enjoy this cabin more than you think. Please, don't let it ruin your experience in Alaska as there are few places on earth that are more awe-inspiring. Once you return from your cruise, let us know how you've fared.

We actually select rooms next to the elevator & have for years. We've never encountered a problem with hearing any disturbance from the elevator; however, I've read quite a few threads where passengers complain about noise from lounges/restaurants above them. You won't have to deal with any of that. You may enjoy this cabin more than you think. Please, don't let it ruin your experience in Alaska as there are few places on earth that are more awe-inspiring. Once you return from your cruise, let us know how you've fared.

Hey, people complain about everything. I recall one person being upset about a connecting door. That wouldn't even rate as a complaint to me. I hope the op is able to get their cabin settled to their satisfaction.

Stormy seas are highly unlikely on an inside passage out of Vancouver- possibly rough out of Seattle but cruises out of Vancouver tend to be more like a river cruise.

Stormy seas on an Inside Passage RT Seattle voyage were among the 2-3 worst we have experienced in 36 cruises (5 to Alaska). The captain had to change the order of ports to take shelter in the Inside passage in the outside passage portion of the cruise; somewhere between Ketchikan and Juneau. I do agree you can experience rough seas out of Seattle.

Edited by qsuzi

We had a similar problem on the Volendam a couple of months ago in Singapore. Two days before we left for the cruise they upgraded us to what they thought was a better outside cabin. Since we were Guarantee, they had the right to do that. When we boarded and saw the location (Deck 3, amidships), DW said she much preferred the original assignment. We went to the front desk and asked if the original one was still available or any other on the same deck, but aft. They said to check back after dinner when the ship had left port. We did that and they assigned us our original cabin, which apparently hadn't been assigned. Needless to say, we were happy and since we hadn't unpacked, the move was easy.

Dear CC fellows,

Thank you for your input. I am sure I will enjoy the cabin (to put it better, I will not let a non-requested "upgrade", ruin my experience).

What is enfuriating to me is that I spent a lot of time choosing a specific cabin (RuthC is very helpful with this)... I don't see the point of this "upgrade tick box". You can either play roulette and go for the GTY (I fully understand and agree with this), or you request a specific cabin: anything else is absurd in my opinion.

I intend to spend a lot of time in the promenade, and having a cabin on deck 3 was a must for me. Now, I will spend a lot of breakfast calories going up and down the stairs between deck 2 and 3. Nothing bad will come out of this...

Let's see what happens tomorrow...

Breaking news... I went to my HAL account to download and print the luggage tags for my "upgraded" cabin, and I have now cabin 3347 reassigned to me. I don't think it was my TA that pulled this out, and it was probably the main offices that reassigned based on my complaints.

But they did not send me any email about this.

I think I will be much happier living on the outside decks and just going to my inside "dark cave" to sleep, rather than having a non-opening window on deck 2.

Thanks guys for your comments and words of encouragement...

What is enfuriating to me is that I spent a lot of time choosing a specific cabin (RuthC is very helpful with this)... I don't see the point of this "upgrade tick box". You can either play roulette and go for the GTY (I fully understand and agree with this), or you request a specific cabin: anything else is absurd in my opinion.

Actually, even if you select a specific cabin, the cruise line can move you from that cabin. This is a quote from the booking screen from HAL's website:

"Flexible in your stateroom choice? Yes No

In some instances, we may be able to assign you to a higher-category stateroom at no additional cost. Keep in mind that a change in stateroom assignment is not guaranteed. Also, any reassigned stateroom may be located on a different part of the deck or on a lower deck than the stateroom you originally chose.

Select 'No' if you have a specific stateroom requirement, such as a mid-ship location."

This is from the brochures:

"Upgrade Policy:

Holland America reserves the right to upgrade a guest or guests to more expensive category accommodations at no additional cost."

There is really nothing you can do if HAL decided to move you, even if you ticked the "NO" "Flexible in Your Stateroom Choice" ("do no upgrade") box.

Edited by ellieanne

Breaking news... I went to my HAL account to download and print the luggage tags for my "upgraded" cabin, and I have now cabin 3347 reassigned to me. I don't think it was my TA that pulled this out, and it was probably the main offices that reassigned based on my complaints.

Yea! Yippee! Hurrah! Congratulations on getting back to where you want to be.

Have a great time.

This is from the brochures:

<b>

"Upgrade Policy:

Holland America reserves the right to upgrade a guest or guests to more expensive category accommodations at no additional cost."

</b>

There is really nothing you can do if HAL decided to move you, even if you ticked the "NO" "Flexible in Your Stateroom Choice" ("do no upgrade") box.

I suspect that if you tick "No", HAL will not normally do this, but they want the flexibility in case they have to take your room out of service or really need THAT room for some other dire contingency.

I suspect that if you tick "No", HAL will not normally do this, but they want the flexibility in case they have to take your room out of service or really need THAT room for some other dire contingency.

Totally agree. To suggest this happens on a regular basis is not accurate. I'm happy the op was able to get the chosen stateroom back.

No, it doesn't happen often, but it does happen; it happened to me.

HAL can't know if the "dire contingency" presented is any more "dire" than yours if they don't ask you before moving you---which they don't. In my case they moved me from a carefully selected room with a shower to one with a tub. Since the tub had very high sides, it was not only difficult, but dangerous, trying to get in/out of it.

If your booking is marked "Do Not Upgrade" you should not be moved without your consent.

[quote name='vagporto']Breaking news... I went to my HAL account to download and print the luggage tags for my "upgraded" cabin, and I have now cabin 3347 reassigned to me. I don't think it was my TA that pulled this out, and it was probably the main offices that reassigned based on my complaints.

But they did not send me any email about this.

I think I will be much happier living on the outside decks and just going to my inside "dark cave" to sleep, rather than having a non-opening window on deck 2.

Thanks guys for your comments and words of encouragement...[/QUOTE]

YAY!! I am so glad you got your original cabin back.