Reflections of a Regent Cruiser re: Crystal Symphony

freddie

These last 3 posts (including mine!) just go to show how attached we can get to our own favourite! No line is perfect - however, I do feel that unless one has tried a particular line one should avoid being over critical. To us the other advantages of SB overcome the small - to us - problem of smoking areas. A lot of the reason for personal preferences I think boils down to one's own particular likes and dislikes, and we are all different. We value staff interaction, good food and a good choice, freely offered, of reasonable wines over some other things, so don't worry too much about the smoking. One thing I must say in Regent's favour - really nice poolside loungers, Seabourn's are very uncomfortable and really need to be replaced or given soft mattresses. I can somehow tell by reading between the lines in 'Crystallers' posts that it would not be our sort of thing - and that most of them would probably not care for Seabourn. Diffrent strokes.

Incidentally, the smoking area with the sofas on Regent's pool deck was really smelly if you were anywhere near!

We have always wanted to try Seabourn but the smoking issue on the balcony as well as being a safety issue has kept us away and I am a reformed smoker. As I understand smoking is allowed in some lounges on one side of the ship in the lounges.

One side of one of the two bars after 8 p.m.only. We are personally not big balcony users, and often take a window only suite on Seabourn, as there are plenty of places to sit outside, some quite small and almost private. Outdoors, people can smoke on one side of the upper, sky bar, but in the current 3 ships, unlike the old ones now sold, there is a patio bar on the pool deck, with no smoking at all. So by avoiding the top indoor bar after dinner, we rarely notice any smoking - and on most cruises there are few smokers, although of course this cannot be guaranteed.

Freddie's excellent review pretty much mirrors our experiences with Regent (Voyager and Navigator) and Crystal Symphony. I also concur with his Bouquets and Brickbats and with his conclusions for the same reasons. We have taken the next step and sailed with Seabourn a couple of times (about to go on our third) and find it's by far the best overall "fit" for us, the vexed smoking issue notwithstanding.

Over the years we have come to realise that no matter which company or ship, a cruise is only as good as the people we sail with. A trip with perfect itinerary, weather and service was pretty much ruined by the rude, unpleasant people we were forced to share it with. And a rather uninspiring itinerary with poor weather and indifferent service was transformed by our wonderfully friendly and funny shipmates. Unfortunately you can't plan ahead for that!

Freddie's excellent review pretty much mirrors our experiences with Regent (Voyager and Navigator) and Crystal Symphony. I also concur with his Bouquets and Brickbats and with his conclusions for the same reasons. We have taken the next step and sailed with Seabourn a couple of times (about to go on our third) and find it's by far the best overall "fit" for us, the vexed smoking issue notwithstanding.

Over the years we have come to realise that no matter which company or ship, a cruise is only as good as the people we sail with. A trip with perfect itinerary, weather and service was pretty much ruined by the rude, unpleasant people we were forced to share it with. And a rather uninspiring itinerary with poor weather and indifferent service was transformed by our wonderfully friendly and funny shipmates. Unfortunately you can't plan ahead for that!

You bring up an excellent point -- that "no matter which company or ship, a cruise is only as good a the people we sail with". For this reason, I think a person needs to try a new cruise line at least twice before they decide if it is right for them. Although we are Regent loyalists (to a point), when we first tried Silversea - on their new ship, we thought that the ship was the worst we had ever sailed on (for many, many reasons). However, the service was great and the passengers were nice. So, we tried again - on another ship and loved it. Anyone can have a "poor" cruise but that does not mean that the next one will be the same

The only area I disagree with you is on the subject of smoking. I don't care how nice the people are........ how great the food or service is........ if people are smoking on the balcony next to me or in a lounge (no matter what the time) when I can smell smoke, it is a deal-breaker. Even Seabourn loyalists beg Seabourn to change their smoking policy. For better or worse, smokers have very few choices of cruise lines where they can smoke on balconies and Seabourn is one of them. IMO, this is a draw for smokers to sail on Seabourn.

First of all let me start off, if you do dining by reservation on Crystal and you are a small party 2-4 you will have no problem on either the ship going when you want at least for us it has never been a problem at all.

The standard cabins are smaller but well thought out and the ships always look new and in perfect shape. I also find the comment that Crystal people are a bit koo koo is snarky in tone. Trust me, Crystal has many converts from all the other luxury lines. We have sailed Rgent five times and were not wowed by the food or the service the same with SS.

Crystal is moving forward at a rapid pace. The two new ships will have standard suites boasting 400 sq feet of space. The Espirit luxury yacht will be launched this winter with 31 luxury suites. Also, a luxury riverboat cruise will be built as well. If you want to do the world by air Crystal is either purchasing or leasing a B-787 Dreamliner which will take 60 guests around the world with only 60 guests on a plane that can hold over 300 passengers. I find it funny that people who have never had the Crystal experience can judge a line that has won the most awards over any cruise line. I started Crusing Crystal on the Harmony when I was thirty and have cruised them for 25 years. Ok, now you know my age.

Edie, came on board before GHK purchased Crystal. Edie is a brilliant woman and knows what she is doing and we have met her. Gentry Hong Kong Holdings has the money to move Cryatal forward in the luxury market. With four ships, yacht and riverboat and a plane and also the talk of a smaller aircraft to add. Cryatal will give the luxury traveler more choices which will really up the game in the luxury market.

Don't be concerned about open dining. The yacht and the two new ships will have it along with more speciality resturants.

The currents ships never seem full do to many solo cruisers and the space ratio is excellent as well as the top notch service. Crystal also has very little turnover among the crew. Something to be said for that.

I have sailed Crystal for 19 days and was reassured prior to sailing with them on the Crystal Cruise Critic board that as long as I was prepared to be flexible we would be able to change reservations times. As our cruises sailed quite full this was definitely not the case on most nights. Unless we were happy to wait until 9-9.30pm. We were a party of 4 but sometimes there was only the 2 of us. I know from other friends that have since sailed Crystal on less heavily booked sailings they had more choice.

We also experienced being placed right near the serving stations which was a very noisy position. Again no chance of changing because of the cruise sailing full.

For context this was in 2012 and we prefer to go to the MDR between 7.30 - 8.30pm.

Regarding the room we found storage was very good despite the smaller suite. What we did find awkward was getting dressed in the morning and evening because of the position of the wardrobe beside the bed. Overall after 19 days even with a balcony we just felt more cramped. As we are not the type who "only sleep in a room" we could only sail on Crystal again in a Penthouse to get enough space. Which is not what we require on Seabourn and that looks the same if we chose Regent or Silversea.

Personally as far as why Crystal is rated at the top of the awards we are left wondering, as for us this is not the case. But everyone likes different things and has different priorities.

For all the new announcements I will take a wait and see approach.

My husband and I have many cruises on Crystal, Regent and Silversea. And have recently sailed on all three within the last year. While we now will be alternating between Regent and Silversea, we will not be sailing on Crystal until they have their new ships with open dining.

Do not let anyone tell you that Dining By Reservation on Crystal has no issues. It might be true that you can have a cruise and do DBR and not have issues, but then again, it may be a disaster. On a back to back last fall, our first leg was fine - we were able to eat about 7:30 each evening and had good service, etc. The second leg was just horrible. Terrible service, bad seating, either a ghost town or a carnival - depending on how many people were in the dining room still left from the first seating. We were told that our unfortunate experience was due to a full ship and so many people wanting the first seating. Well, how can you know what you will end up with until you are on board?

Bottom line, the dining aspect is too important to leave it to chance - for us, anyway. And we will not risk it on Crystal anymore - not until the new ships are built.

DBR on Crystal is a no starter for me. It's a hybrid that's meant to appease those who usually sail on open seating ships. You still can't just invite others to dine with you on the spur of the moment and usually you have to let them know months in advance how many are in your party and what time you want to dine. That's not having options.

DBR on Crystal is a no starter for me. It's a hybrid that's meant to appease those who usually sail on open seating ships. You still can't just invite others to dine with you on the spur of the moment and usually you have to let them know months in advance how many are in your party and what time you want to dine. That's not having options.

Not true. We have increased our table for two to four at the last minute with no problem. A table for eight we refuse to eat at at any time. We waited for 45 minutes to be seated on SS. We were not happy campers and no party or reception was going on. Open seating can be iffy at times no matter what line.

I understand the logistical problems of getting a lot of people wined and dined either with fixed or anytime options. Neither works for everyone. I think at least some of the pressure could be relieved if there was an informal evening buffet available rather than a formal meal in the MDR, speciality restaurant or the newer idea of making the breakfast/lunch buffet dining room into a more formal dinner venue like Sette Mari on Regent or La Terraza on Silversea. I know some people love this but we really miss being able to go and grab a light buffet supper when we're ready to eat rather than the full dinner routine, especially after a busy day ashore. The only option is room service which, while usually excellent, isn't the same thing at all. We can sit in front of the TV with a club sandwich at home!

IMO, Regent does not have the room to offer an extra dining venue. However, your idea isn't a bad one (as long as no one shows up on jeans or shorts as they do on Oceania). As you know, you can order room service from Compass Rose during the hours that they are open. That way you can sit in front of the television and wear nothing if that suits your fancy:)

IMO, Regent does not have the room to offer an extra dining venue. However, your idea isn't a bad one (as long as no one shows up on jeans or shorts as they do on Oceania). As you know, you can order room service from Compass Rose during the hours that they are open. That way you can sit in front of the television and wear nothing if that suits your fancy:)

Jackie, wear nothing? :eek: At least wear a robe or wear a towel. Now that is suite formal wear.:D

Jackie, wear nothing? :eek: At least wear a robe or wear a towel. Now that is suite formal wear.:D

Miles, you are too funny! My recommendation was for the poster - not for me. I would definitely wear a fluffy robe (the same thing that I wear when the butler shows up unexpectedly):D

Regent used to offer an anytime, less formal, semi-buffet before the advent of Sette Mari (we aren't fans, I admit it) and it was great to be able to go and grab a quick soup, salad, cheese, etc. when we just weren't in the mood or too tired for the whole 3 course MDR routine. We still enjoyed mingling with the other diners.

I guess we are in a minority as many people seem to really enjoy a more formal dining experience but it does seem a shame that the only option now is fairly antisocial room service, naked or otherwise!

Casual dining options:

Sette Mare: I frequently forgo the main course and just chose what I want from the salad etc /dessert buffet.

And Compass Rose; just order whatever courses you want - there is no obligation to eat a "full meal".

And the Coffee Corner is available too.

The only time I order from room service is if I'm too sick to leave my cabin - which fortunately doesn't happen very often!

Peggy

Miles, you are too funny! My recommendation was for the poster - not for me. I would definitely wear a fluffy robe (the same thing that I wear when the butler shows up unexpectedly):D

Jacke, I know it was not about you but it was a visual that made me laugh.

• 2 weeks later...

Jorge,

I missed meeting you a the CC party. As we were on the same cruise I would enjoy hearing some of your thoughts..perhaps on the Crystal board if you feel that is more appropriate. I had voiced m thoughts, both positive and negative. I'm glad that DBR worked for you. Every night I saw a number of folks at Leo's podium, being placed at tables..what a nice accomodation.

I hope that Mudhen also writes upon their return.

Paula.

Jorge,

I missed meeting you a the CC party. As we were on the same cruise I would enjoy hearing some of your thoughts..perhaps on the Crystal board if you feel that is more appropriate. I had voiced m thoughts, both positive and negative. I'm glad that DBR worked for you. Every night I saw a number of folks at Leo's podium, being placed at tables..what a nice accomodation.

I hope that Mudhen also writes upon their return.

Paula.

Hi Paula

Sorry to have missed you at the M&M too, I met mostly officers, there were so many [emoji4]. I left early too because we had Vintage Room reservations that evening. I started written a review during the long transatlantic flight but didn't finished it, I should get back while still fresh [emoji6].

Basically our experience was different than yours, mostly positive. Of course, we can only compare to others "luxury" lines, and you were comparing to previous Crystal cruises.

Jorge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jorge, I am glad for you ad will be glad to read your review.

Our cruise was pleasant enough...just a few dissatisfactions and moguls..in the mix. Yes, there were many officers at the M&M, the most that I have ever seen I think. I always enjoy it when they enscript some of the younger officers who are not in such frequent contact with passengers and seem to enjoy it.

Paula

mudhen: missed your post when I was reading about Crystal's "M&M". Regent customers (especially me) would love to read your review. If you decide to post, please start a new thread as this one is is about someone's else's experience and may not be the same as yours.

I'm confused...........did you read post #47???

I understand your confusion. I'm onboard the Mariner right now and checked into this thread to see if there was anything new in terms of comparing Crystal and Regent. As you can see, there are no posts on this page that are related to the subject, thus my comment (not wanting it to come across rude - just confused as to where the thread was going).

Regent customers are interested in comparison threads - I like to read about similarities and/or differences between the cruise lines. When I saw Mudhen's post, I suggested that she start a new thread because she was on a different cruise than the OP. Hope that makes sense.