Name your "Sleeper" port

celebrity

Bodrum, Turkey

We were on a very port intensive first ever cruise for which I had arranged private tours for ourselves and others in every port. For this one we planned to just walk around. I had read it was beautiful but we were still blown away by this lovely spot. We took the free shuttle ferry across the harbour to the crusader castle with its underwater archaeology museum, walked to the Mausoleum of Helicarnassus, walked uphill to peek at an ancient theatre, had lunch at an outdoor cafe where we were invited by locals to play backgammon (being rusty at the game, we declined) and then we walked back along the lovely waterfront to our ship.

This was a great day and we learned that you can have a great day in some ports on your own.

Bodrum, Turkey

We were on a very port intensive first ever cruise for which I had arranged private tours for ourselves and others in every port. For this one we planned to just walk around. I had read it was beautiful but we were still blown away by this lovely spot. We took the free shuttle ferry across the harbour to the crusader castle with its underwater archaeology museum, walked to the Mausoleum of Helicarnassus, walked uphill to peek at an ancient theatre, had lunch at an outdoor cafe where we were invited by locals to play backgammon (being rusty at the game, we declined) and then we walked back along the lovely waterfront to our ship.

This was a great day and we learned that you can have a great day in some ports on your own.

This is exactly what happened to us in Malta. After long days of touring other ports, we decided to just wing it in Malta and were overwhelmed with the history, the beauty and the fabulous people. Sometimes, we need to just slow down and see where our feet can travel.

We took a Mediterranean cruise a few years back and the port I was least interested in but really enjoyed was Lisbon. Cruising up the river to the port was just beautiful and, even though we arrived on a Sunday, we were well received and were told shops opened specifically just for the arriving ship. The people were very friendly and the city was just beautiful.

With regards to all the comments about Turkey, having lived there for two years, I would wholeheartedly recommend those that are interested to take a land trip to the country. Again, people are very friendly and welcoming.

Totally jealous about your time in Turkey. I need to go back!

I've heard winderful things about Lisbon. Definitely on my bucket list.

Totally jealous about your time in Turkey. I need to go back!

I've heard winderful things about Lisbon. Definitely on my bucket list.

Kotor...I was looking forward to it, but many on the ship who thought it was just a "throw in " port were surprised how pleasant it was. Great sail in also.

Also, Limissol Cyprus...if you can find your way to Paphos and the archeological park and it's wonderful mosaics. Plenty of seaside restaurants to have a memorable lunch.

Kotor...I was looking forward to it, but many on the ship who thought it was just a "throw in " port were surprised how pleasant it was. Great sail in also.

Also, Limissol Cyprus...if you can find your way to Paphos and the archeological park and it's wonderful mosaics. Plenty of seaside restaurants to have a memorable lunch.

Getting excited now since Kotor is on our itinerary next year!

Will have to research Cyprus. Not much info on these boards.

Absolutely one of my favorites. You really don't even need to follow a tour. Just walk through some of the beautiful side streets and make your way all the way up for amazing views. We found a great gastro pub there for lunch too. I loved my day so much that I bought a colorful print done by a local artist.

Since you quoted me, it was not really a tour. It was just following the instructions in the Rick Steves Scandanavia book.

We also made a purchase there, a set of salt and pepper shakers that look like nesting dolls. So we actually have a reminder of Talinn in front of us whenever we sit down to eat at home.

Knew little about the island so planned no excursion, which was, in the end, perfect. We wandered the walled town, getting lost in the narrow streets. Spoke with locals, sat at a beautiful cafe. Idyllic!

Yes, Rhodes for us, too. We only knew of it from so many friends, neighbours etc, who would go there every year for a beach holiday- absolutely not our "thing", so we imagined one of those vast, Costa Blanca type resorts. Instead, the ship docked close to the ancient town, with shady streets and fascinating alleys. No beach, except for a small town beach with signs saying no swimming.....which were being completely ignored!