Review of Legendary Hawaii - a Legendary Fail for some

Forgot this one:

3133yf9.jpg

After drying out, we went for a walk along the stone walk along the beach that spans the couple miles. The bus lets you off/picks you up at Whalers Village which is right next door to the Westin, a shopping center and Hula Grill is in there. So we had taken a bottle of our ship wine we brought onboard and had them cork it ($20) and ate dinner there. Our table is on the beach so you can run your toes into the sand while you're eating....lovely day!

I had the flat bread yum! Todd had the Puha pork sliders.

4sl1kn.jpg

dlqaty.jpg

2aigadj.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo
photos

After that we shopped in the ABC store for some trinkets, the best place to buy souvenirs for people back home. Caught the bus back to Front street and did some more shopping, good tropical dresses along the Pioneer Square right in front of the pier.

We absolutely loved Maui, but the best was yet to come.

Tendering again was tedious, but by now all the little knit picking twists and turns, even the bus trip was long forgotten.....ahhhh paradise

dqpv03.jpg:D

Wow, reading about your boarding experience to Ensenada, I feel for you. Know exactly what you went through.

We also did the check-in, in San Diego, bus to Mexico. This was in April 2007. We sit in the huge warehouse, no AC, in San Diego, from about 11am until 5:00pm before we boarded the bus. No food, No water. The border check was fairly painless, only took about 20 min or so. We reached Ensenada about 9 pm, and then had to sit on the bus till around 10:30 til they let us off to actually board. By then it had started to rain, oh Joy. Also No Food, No Water on the bus. We had had nothing to eat or drink, since early that morning. Thankfully, they let us go streight to buffet, and finally eat. Felt much better then. We had fun standing at the ship rail, and watching umpteen huge trucks, with all the luggage,unload and being shoved on board. In the Rain! It seemed ridiculous they had to TRUCK all the luggage to Mexico, when the ship had sat dockside at San Diego, for hours. Those guys really hussled loading that luggage. You could have smuggled anything on board, that night. They checked nothing. lol

I can't believe that in the past 8 years, the cruise line has done almost nothing to make this cruise boarding, a little easier. But, you did at least get crackers and water on the bus.

They couldn't pay me to do this cruise again. I did do the 15 day cruise over and back, to Hawaii, out of San Diego, in 2012. It was wonderful.

That's funny....looking back, I think this cruise is the best way to see the islands and for very little. A year ago, we booked at $629 pp int. I'd do it again in a heart beat! But in a balcony which at the time was a lot more $1800. At least I'd be prepared! Sounds like yours was a little rougher, better thank my lucky stars!:D

Keep in mind, we don't do ship's excursions any more so all ours were private.

Next...Kauai!

I was determined to see the Na Pali coast for Kauai, but the planes and copters are very expensive so when a fellow roll caller found Na Pali Riders, whose web site is cleverly done, videos wonderful, we jumped on the price of $120 with group discount. 11 of us from Legend went. Renting a van to drive the 45 minute drive to the Waiamea bay harbor for yet another Zodiac tour. I was so hoping for a better ride since the Zodiac was bigger. The ride started out smooth, but by the time we were down the coast, the waves were beginning to be a problem. Suddenly, we were almost being swamped by 10' to 12' waves. We're divers so we know our wave heights. Even I was starting to get a little apprehensive about it.

In fact, we were being bombarded with so much water I put my rash shirt over my head to stop the burn in my eyes. A couple of women were starting to cry and on the way back, one succumbed to seasickness.

v4ckcj.jpg

2i77bwj.jpg note the waves crashing onshore.

This is one of the good pics, Todd was really having trouble getting one we were so unsteady. When the boat went down into the trough on some of these, the crest of the wave would be above our heads! But it was so bumpy, the pics didn't take. We just shouldn't have been out on the water that day. By the time we did make it to the cliffs, he would stop for just a couple of minutes at every site because I think he knew he had a lot of disgruntled customers on his hands. His standard reply was "Hang loose"! I was praying the whole time that the wind/waves would just calm and by the time someone said "Whose for going back?" they were a little better. We surfed them going back so it was a bit smoother, but by that time, everyone just wanted off the boat. It was so bad that one fellow had already done his poor review on Facebook or Tripadvisor by the time we checked in our rental car.

Now here's my opinion about this whole fiasco...any good boat captain always checks the Marine Advisory, or should if taking tourists out on the open seas. This guy either didn't check or just didn't want to forfeit his days fees. But we should have been informed of the predicted wave heights and given an opportunity to cancel free of charge. There was a 5 year old child with her mother and she spent the entire 2 hours curled up in a ball in front of her Mom on the center seat with a jacket over her head.:eek:

Anyway, we did see the cliffs and they were pretty, but never again...I kept thinking of TXKroozer up above us somewhere in a nice comfortable plane!;)

Edited by BecciBoo

Our last RCCL cruise one of the perks were priority tender tickets and on Allure May 2014 we were able to have the Diamond Concierge deliver them to us. This is no longer possible. Diamond level was also supposed to have priority boarding and disembarking, but there were never any signs to this effect in San Diego nor Oahu when we left. Before 2014 we always asked for early disembarkation tags and were given them to us by the Diamond Concierge. Again when we asked Zahide, she informed us that was no longer a perk.

As far as priority boarding/check in, when we embarked Jewel in San Diego several days after you (May 22) they had all the lines. Those of us in the Diamond line were joking we should move to the Platinum line as it was empty. :p

A shame they did not set it up for you.

Well there is the possibility that we were so early I missed them and we were first in line.

The next morning was our disembarkation in Honolulu, where we were to spend 4 days with Todd's brother Chris, who commands Fort Shaftner. They live in a gorgeous home up on a ridge above Hawaii Kai around on the other side of Diamond Head.

Chris had packed a lot of stuff to do in those 4 days.

We sent our bags the night before and elected to go in the first bunch when they called for group 2 since we felt that was owed to us as Diamond and we were no longer getting it. So we hung around on deck 4 and when they called the group, we went, there was nobody, no line nothing...so nobody said a thing, collected our bags and walked to the bus stop across the street from the pier to wait for our pick up.

We were to go to the street where my parents lived in 1947 called Lemon Rd to film what has become of it for my Mom:eek: The one story bungelows they lived in are gone except for one, replaced with high rise apartments or hotels, but we got it. It was one block off Waikiki beach. At the time they were there, the pink palace or Royal Hawaiian was the only hotel there over 2 stories. It was great! Then they took us to the Hale Koa for breakfast which was absolutely lovely....and yummy! We walked around a little downtown and then to their home. This is the view from the living room and the lanai:

2ugzati.jpg

nz1uuc.jpg

On a clear day you can see Lanai, Molokai and Maui beyond that peak in the picture.

We had a bite to eat and then in the car and drove to the Pali and back side of Oahu all the way back around, saw some awesome sights:

16c8ci8.jpg

The blow hole:

244wk04.jpg

Sandy Beach, everybody body surfs and boogie boards here, the waves were to violent for me to get in but the guys had a great time here:

66azrn.jpg

Exhausted we went home and hit the hay, tomorrow was to be our Pearl Harbor trip.

So sorry to hear of your difficulties with the transfer and boarding process. I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm not a fan of Mexico. I've looked at the possibility of an RCI trip to Hawaii (and I dearly love Hawaii), but that whole busing to Ensenada puts me off every time. Conversely, one of the best cruises I ever had was an RCI cruise out of Colon Panama. I only regret they don't offer that itinerary any longer.

I'm looking forward to your observations of Hawaii. Snorkeling in the bay off the Captain Cook monument will spoil you forever ... when you try snorkeling again in the Caribbean, you'll always make a negative comparison to that day in Hawaii. It was an treasured experience I can never repeat unless I come up with the funds to go back. :)

We have cruised to Hawaii 3 times on Rhapsody of the Seas from Vancouver, BC.

We loved our sea days on the way to Hawaii and the 6-7 days around the Hawaiian Islands were fabulous.

Whoever has the opportunity to sail these repositioning cruises should!

Edited by IWORK2CRUISE

We were fortunate to stay at the Hale Koa for 7 days on our trip to Oahu. We went for son's homecoming (Marine). It is a beautiful hotel and everything you need is right there. It's in a great location too. I would love to go back one day.

Monday, Memorial Day at Pearl Harbor. This is a must see location for visitors to the islands...

ws1ceu.jpg

Here are the tears that Arizona continues to shed:

1268ear.jpg

The Arizona memorial itself:

wugj9j.jpg

Many more pictures, too many to share. It was a sobering experience.

Edited by BecciBoo
photos

I just got home from a trip to Hawaii. We stayed on Kauai for 4 days before Oahu and also did the Napali coast. Different vendor, but also a zodiac boat, left out of Hanalei in the north. It's rough out there, very rough. Especially on the way back. I was pretty queasy and 4.5 hours was more than enough sight seeing. I'm hoping if I survived that, I'll be fine for South America :D

Keep in mind, we don't do ship's excursions any more so all ours were private.

Next...Kauai!

I was determined to see the Na Pali coast for Kauai, but the planes and copters are very expensive so when a fellow roll caller found Na Pali Riders, whose web site is cleverly done, videos wonderful, we jumped on the price of $120 with group discount. 11 of us from Legend went. Renting a van to drive the 45 minute drive to the Waiamea bay harbor for yet another Zodiac tour. I was so hoping for a better ride since the Zodiac was bigger. The ride started out smooth, but by the time we were down the coast, the waves were beginning to be a problem. Suddenly, we were almost being swamped by 10' to 12' waves. We're divers so we know our wave heights. Even I was starting to get a little apprehensive about it.

In fact, we were being bombarded with so much water I put my rash shirt over my head to stop the burn in my eyes. A couple of women were starting to cry and on the way back, one succumbed to seasickness.

v4ckcj.jpg

2i77bwj.jpg note the waves crashing onshore.

This is one of the good pics, Todd was really having trouble getting one we were so unsteady. When the boat went down into the trough on some of these, the crest of the wave would be above our heads! But it was so bumpy, the pics didn't take. We just shouldn't have been out on the water that day. By the time we did make it to the cliffs, he would stop for just a couple of minutes at every site because I think he knew he had a lot of disgruntled customers on his hands. His standard reply was "Hang loose"! I was praying the whole time that the wind/waves would just calm and by the time someone said "Whose for going back?" they were a little better. We surfed them going back so it was a bit smoother, but by that time, everyone just wanted off the boat. It was so bad that one fellow had already done his poor review on Facebook or Tripadvisor by the time we checked in our rental car.

Now here's my opinion about this whole fiasco...any good boat captain always checks the Marine Advisory, or should if taking tourists out on the open seas. This guy either didn't check or just didn't want to forfeit his days fees. But we should have been informed of the predicted wave heights and given an opportunity to cancel free of charge. There was a 5 year old child with her mother and she spent the entire 2 hours curled up in a ball in front of her Mom on the center seat with a jacket over her head.:eek:

Anyway, we did see the cliffs and they were pretty, but never again...I kept thinking of TXKroozer up above us somewhere in a nice comfortable plane!;)

Wow! I know this is the RCI board, but I think the Pride of America is the way to go when you want to include Na Pali Cliffs in your visit to the islands. We did the sail-by one afternoon and all of us with balcony cabins on the port side spent the afternoon on our balconies, chatting with our neighbors above us, below us and next to us, snapping fantastic pictures, and munching on snacks we'd snagged from the buffet before the ship reached the general vicinity.

Becci, I feel bad that we did not connect at all on this cruise. By the time that we got to Ensenada, after a 2 plus hour hold at the border, I was very tired. We got the M&M material in our cabin, and with a 9:30 meeting time, after the day of flying in to San Diego, and the situation of the bus fiasco, I was in my robe, with breakfast being delivered when the M&M meeting was being held. You had my cabin number, and I was hoping that you would give us a call. I know that you inquired about me from some of the other Cruise Critics that were aboard. Hopefully, another time we can get together.

I think that your assessment of this cruise is pretty "right on

As both a Pinnacle Club member and a suite guest, the ship had invited us to a few events, and other than that, I read and slept for the first 4 days at sea.

I was the Hawaiian guide for the time that we were in Hawaii, showing another couple, good friends, the islands. After living there for over 14 years, although many years ago, it still comes back to me.

My greatest disappointment was taking friends to Haleakula crater, only to have the winds, being Kona instead of trades, which incapsulated the crater itself. But I was able to show them a great deal of Maui, and the weather held.

The pictures taken from Todd's brothers home on Oahu, look like they were taken from Tantulas, or upper Aina Haina.

The Legend is in good shape, and now should be in Australia, and then headed for Asia. She was our first experience with Royal Caribbean, in 2003, doing Hawaii to Ensenada.

Rick

Tuesday evening was Luau time. We chose Paradise Cove and it did not disappoint. We thought the food was pretty good and the dance was spectacular: This guy was actually from my home town of San Antonio! These are videos...click on the pic.

San%20Antonio%20guy-M.jpg

Tahitian%20beach%20dance-M.jpg

Boy could those girls shake that thing!!!!

We paid for the upgraded seating and experience and were within 2 ft of the show. Got extra photos and orchid leis. The guys got Kukua nut leis. I would do this luau again every time we go. It was the greatest! Right on a lagoon with the sunset in the background and lots of cultural exhibitions going on. I recommend it highly.

Edited by BecciBoo

Thanks for posting your review. I really enjoyed reading it, and the pictures are terrific. I love the wine glass perspective. When I saw your pictures from Pearl Harbor, I was reminded of one we took of the "tears." When we got home and had it developed (that long ago), there was a clearly visible face outlined in the oil. Eerie.

We were on the Legend in February and found the same situation in the solarium. We had breakfast or lunch there a few times and often had to sit on the pool surround. People toweled lounge chairs and then spent hours playing cards at a table.

Our last day in the islands was for leisure only. We went to a secluded beach not many people get to...Waimanola Beach...it was truly paradise, soft fine white sand, cool breezes and turquoise waters.

n3khvo.jpg

skym9d.jpg

The next morning we flew away from this paradise and toward home sadly. I can understand how people go there and never come back...very tempting!

A word about the entertainment....the cultural groups on board made the whole trip a joy. We attended every performance of the trio of Ho'ole, Quinton's lectures in the theater and Kimo and his Polynesian Cultural Group whose dancers were astounding!

zsn94y.jpg

2napnaq.jpg

That concludes my review. If I offended anyone, it was not intentional.

Even with the hiccups, I would repeat this trip next week:eek::D

Meeting so many new people was fantastic, we sure had a wonderful time.

RCCL just needs to charter a more suitable company for busing the border. They cannot control Mexico's process but they could make it more bearable.

As for Legend, she helped make our first, but not last, trip to Hawaii a thrilling success. We are already planning the next visit to spend a whole week with the folks.

Good evening and Aloha ya'll!:D

Wow! I know this is the RCI board, but I think the Pride of America is the way to go when you want to include Na Pali Cliffs in your visit to the islands. We did the sail-by one afternoon and all of us with balcony cabins on the port side spent the afternoon on our balconies, chatting with our neighbors above us, below us and next to us, snapping fantastic pictures, and munching on snacks we'd snagged from the buffet before the ship reached the general vicinity.

Yes, I'd consider doing the Pride of America...sounds like a much better vantage point!

That concludes my review. If I offended anyone, it was not intentional.

RCCL just needs to charter a more suitable company for busing the border. They cannot control Mexico's process but they could make it more bearable.

Good evening and Aloha ya'll!:D

Aloha Becci,

Many years ago, when Royal Caribbean was doing Hawaii from Ensenada, they had contracted a charter bus company from Arizona.

Since then, that company has gone out of business. Royal Caribbean had no choice but to charter the services of a Mexican bus company.

Our bus was comfortable, but, unfortunately our driver did not speak English. In my crude Spanish, I was able to talk to him, but the bottom line is that we will never, if offered in the future, go to Ensenada on a bus thru Royal Caribbean.

In the future, if we do this again, we will employ a charter service, and pay the money to have us there in comfort. Royal Caribbean gave each of us a bottle of water, and a small package of crackers. It's sad, but that is what the cruise line has become, and will always leave a bitter taste in some.

Tensions are arising against America, and the border crossing is just another example of how we are starting to become a third world country.

Many won't believe me, but when Royal Caribbean starts sending their newest ships elsewhere.........you be the judge.:rolleyes:

Rick

Edited by rubrrick