What to pack for Alaskan cruise in June

Rebel_Jedi

Hi everyone, I have a few questions about what to pack for an early June Alaskan cruise:

Can I get away with sneakers or will I need boots? (We're not hiking)

Do I need a parka or can I just wear layers? (sweatshirt under jacket)

Do you suggest bringing any pants thicker than jeans or can I get away with jeans?

Thanks in advance!

Hello! My husband and I went to Alaska in Septemeber 2012 and were comfortable in our jeans. We both wore a versitile Jacket and never needed to add layers, and I believe September is typically colder. You should be fine in sneakers unless it rains a lot. :)

You can wear your jeans.

You don't need hiking boots. I am not a hiker either but I still take a low cut pair of gore-tex (waterproof) hikers. They keep my feet warm and dry if it rains. You never know if and when it may rain. I just got a new pair off of zappos.com and they are waterproof but look more like a tennis shoe. Very comfortable. They were by North Face. I even wore them this last cruise trip a week ago just walking the streets shopping cause they were comfy.

After trips to Alaska I always take some cheap rain pants. Never need them.

The two most important things to me are the low cut waterproof hikers and a waterproof parka with a hood. If it rains you can just pull the hood up and go. I never let any rain stop us from enjoying the trip.

Smart wool socks are also great. They are comfortable, warm and don't let me feet sweat like synthetics.

You never know what the weather is going to be. So remember to layer, layer, layer. Take a back pack with you when out and about to put layers when not needed.

Hope this helped.

Statically June is the driest month in Alaska which is just fine if you believe that statistics will keep you dry. My advice is to take along some waterproof shoes be they rubber or waterproofed. You will need a good waterproof shell jacket then a fleece or two. Don't forget a hat or cap and some gloves. Jeans are not always the best option as they wick moisture and can be hard to dry when wet....but it is what people wear. After living in the rainforest of coastal BC all my life I finally purchased my first pair of rain pants for golf a year ago and still haven't worn them so I am not a huge fan of rain pants.

In my previous post, by parka I meant one that is a waterproof shell with a hood. Not a heavy parka coat. We have used our waterproof shell parkas every Alaska trip. It is also great for protecting you from the cooler breezes. You need to layer a fleece under it when viewing the glaciers as it gets quite cold during outside viewing.

I always take a pair of shorts/capris and hope for a warm sunny day.

And also be prepared for a rainy day as you wander thru the ports; I hope your jacket is waterproof. If not buy a poncho ... not a $1 throw-away version but something more substantial. And have 2 pairs of walking shoes/sneakers in case 1 pr needs time to dry out.

Today--Rain ponchos are $5.99 in the travel/luggage section of Marshalls.

Those are the kind we use - they work fine for us, be we aren't able to hike, so don't know how well they work on a trail.

You need the SAME attire no matter when you go to Alaska during the cruise season. Leave the boots and parka's at home. :)

A lined jacket and sweatshirt work fine- with layers the key.

Pack a knit hat and gloves, if you plan on viewing glaciers outside.

I seldom take issue with BQ advice but I have to disagree her re a lined jacket. If the lining of the jacket gets wet either by the jacket leaking or rain getting down your neck the lining is a bearcat to dry on a ship. My advice is stick with a decent quality waterproof shell and pack a couple of fleece to go under it. If the fleece gets wet it is much easier to dry as a separate garment.

We just got back. I layered a fleece, softshell jacket, and a rain coat for the wind on the deck the first 2 days. It was COLD. I never needed more than jeans on the bottem. I did use my warm hat a couple of times. I sat outside at 50 degrees with 50 mile per hour winds while my kids swam in the pool for almost 2 hours. They were happy, I was cold.

I never have had to use bug repellent close to the water but some people attract mosquitos more than others. If you are going several miles inland then you could run into the little varmints. Walmart in the sporting goods depart normally at least two brands of repellent in a small pump bottle which take no room on your bag and as I recall cost about $5....so it may be an idea.

I seldom take issue with BQ advice but I have to disagree her re a lined jacket. If the lining of the jacket gets wet either by the jacket leaking or rain getting down your neck the lining is a bearcat to dry on a ship. My advice is stick with a decent quality waterproof shell and pack a couple of fleece to go under it. If the fleece gets wet it is much easier to dry as a separate garment.

You're giving much more complete advice. :) My reference was for some additional warmth under a "jacket", and not very clear.

I don't wear any waterproof jackets myself, in my case- drying is simply a matter of hanging it up with good results drying, being nylon based. When I've infrequently soaked it- the blow dryer, worked just fine. Of course this is a crappy "Alaska Uniform", I use.

got off the ship 5 days ago- southbound. i read all of the posts before i went- the best advice is prepare for anything. We had 60-70s every day and not a drop of rain-- 10 days in alaska- no rain. locals said this is very very unusual. colder by glacier (as it should be!) and windier. we packed rain coats, umbrellas and never unpacked them-- but be ready- only thing we were not ready for was needing shorts-- when we got to Seattle- 80! layers layers layers. have an awesome time! :D

We just got back. Layers is truly the key. We needed a waterproof windbreaker, over a fleece jacket or sweatshirt, cruising by the glaciers on the drizzly day. We had outstanding weather, wore short sleeves out to Mendenhall Glacier, to the waterfall! Once we needed heavy jackets out there, about the same time of year!

I needed my walking sandals, which I hadn't packed, and more warm weather clothes. Just got lucky and had warm weather! Used more warm weather clothes, less winter clothes. THIS trip! Needed warmer clothes other times. So, layers is the answer! Jeans were fine. Bring a thin pair of cuddleduds, if you tend to be cold. Tennies should be good enough.

Hi everyone, I have a few questions about what to pack for an early June Alaskan cruise:

Can I get away with sneakers or will I need boots? (We're not hiking)

Do I need a parka or can I just wear layers? (sweatshirt under jacket)

Do you suggest bringing any pants thicker than jeans or can I get away with jeans?

Thanks in advance!

Check the weather forecast the week before you leave.

We cruised the weeks of 5/15 and 5/22 and severely over packed.

The weather was beautiful and on all but 2 days we wore shorts and T-Shirts with only a light jacket early in the morning.

Jeans were wore on the day we visited the Glacier and on a Whale watching excursion. You should not need more than Jeans.

Sneakers should be fine, I would have 2 pair of shoes in case you do experience rain.

Check the weather forecast the week before you leave.

We cruised the weeks of 5/15 and 5/22 and severely over packed.

The weather was beautiful and on all but 2 days we wore shorts and T-Shirts with only a light jacket early in the morning.

Jeans were wore on the day we visited the Glacier and on a Whale watching excursion. You should not need more than Jeans.

Sneakers should be fine, I would have 2 pair of shoes in case you do experience rain.

The problem with long range weather forecasts for Alaska is that tend to be somewhat reliable for 72 but there reliability diminishes after 24 hours. You are better to over pack with a few layers then not have enough.

The problem with long range weather forecasts for Alaska is that tend to be somewhat reliable for 72 but there reliability diminishes after 24 hours. You are better to over pack with a few layers then not have enough.

I just took a look at the weather this week and what a change. Much cooler and wet so I agree that you never know from day to day or even hour to hour. We started the day last week in Hoonah and it was beautiful then by afternoon it cooled off quickly and was chilly.

I AGREE OVERPACK to be safe.