The end of an era grows closer...

5355798998_f9253421e1.jpg

Everything fades away it seems...

I only know a couple people shooting film as a hobby, in addition to their digital stuff - but they all develop it themselves.

For me it has progressed to sharing photographs digitally and/or making photobooks at one of the many online printing companies.

But I still have my old Vivitar and Minolta bodies - I'm not a packrat, just don't see the point in giving them away.

Time moves on. We live in a world of instant gratification and waiting for film to be developed is just not going to happen for most people. There is still a group (however small it might be) that will still shoot film (I see them on photo message boards) but for most folks digital and the ability to instantly see if you got the shot (and retake if not) is the way to go. I have taken thousands of shots learning, doing this with film would just not be practical. (Plus the ability to experiment). Plus with software like Photoshop the ability to manipulate photos is something one really can't do with film,.

We can look at two companies who both used to be big in film...Fuji..... adapted and is making very good digital stuff. I was very tempted to grab a XT-1 instead of my D610.....Kodak on the other hand.............

Edited by TruckerDave

5355798998_f9253421e1.jpg

Everything fades away it seems...

I only know a couple people shooting film as a hobby, in addition to their digital stuff - but they all develop it themselves.

For me it has progressed to sharing photographs digitally and/or making photobooks at one of the many online printing companies.

But I still have my old Vivitar and Minolta bodies - I'm not a packrat, just don't see the point in giving them away.

Is this a recent pic? (I love taking pics of old abandoned stuff like this, which is why i ask)

Just a google search pic, but we had one up the street and its one of those memories that really sticks: riding my bike up to the strip mall, handing off my Instamatic cartridge - then going back daily bugging the poor guy for my pictures.

Ahh, same thing here. One in a strip mall and taking my bike to it. Only I waited impatiently for the five or six (or whatever the number of days was) to pass and then bug mom or dad to go get them. (They had the $$$ for it :D )

For me it was Gemmel's Pharmacy next to Herb's Hardware in the old downtown (pre-FotoMat). Rolls of 620 and later 135 film. Darkroom smells in high school. Budgeting for film and processing for a vacation. Discovering your shutter stopped working for 14 of 20 rolls during a Panama Canal cruise....

Mixed feelings, eh? ;)

Yay, digital!

Dave

I remember as a kid I thought those fotomat places were so neat.

Exactly - one whole wall was just boxes and boxes of film - every type and speed...

I think I'll model my gazebo off that roof...

Invokes a spark of nostalgia but no regrets. Digital has been very, very good to me.

p1222794453-4.jpg

Thoughts?

Dave

Wow- we haven't been able to get rolls of film deveoped at the Costco s in Canada for a few years now.

Tri-X Pan, developed and printed in Mom's laundry room. Couldn't afford color/color processing.

Graduated to slides, no printing cost :D

Interestingly, I recently converted the slides to digital, some are almost 40 years old, and they may look better, or at least as good, than they did then :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing I do miss from Film is that it pushed us to print all our photos. So we have so many albums of ourselves and then our family along with albums from deceased parents from both sides.

Today there is so little printing of photos and while people store them on computers and backup devices they are not so readily available for viewing when other family members come by and when it is our time to pass I just don't know if these soft photos will be passed down and kept.

Yes I love all of the aspects of digital but just saying to me this is the one drawback which yes I know can be overcome through digital files, etc but..........

Keith

The one thing I do miss from Film is that it pushed us to print all our photos. So we have so many albums of ourselves and then our family along with albums from deceased parents from both sides.

Today there is so little printing of photos and while people store them on computers and backup devices they are not so readily available for viewing when other family members come by and when it is our time to pass I just don't know if these soft photos will be passed down and kept.

Yes I love all of the aspects of digital but just saying to me this is the one drawback which yes I know can be overcome through digital files, etc but..........

Keith

Even when I switched over to digital cameras, I still run off all pictures that I take on our cruises and make photo albums.

And there is just the 2 of us to look at them.