Heathrow - Auckland

NorbertsNiece

Can this be done in Economy by a tall over 60yo with back problems?

Please convince me it's doable.

Will have to change planes at some stage so would consider a stopover... suggestions more than welcome.

Flying back from SYD so that can be non-stop..... but should it be?

Linda

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Of course it can be done.

That being said, we don't know your situation. Some back problems are aggravated by sitting, others aren't. We have no idea of how this affects you.

Making connections is always a plus and minus. May give you added chances to walk around. Gives you added chances to misconnect, and lose your bags. Again, we have no idea how this will affect you.

If possible, book Business or First. That would help just about anybody with any medical issue.

Doing a stop over along the way is another possible solution. Stop in Singapore, or Mumbai. Abu Dhabi or Tokyo. Or Beijing. For a couple of nights, if possible.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Business / First are out of the question budget-wise. I may be able to stretch to Premium Economy or equivalent. Flying out in February back in March. I like the suggestions of the stop overs.... Tokyo, Abu Dhabi or Beijing would be new cities for me. Thanks for your advice.

Flying back from SYD so that can be non-stop..... but should it be?

No it can't; no nonstops from Western Europe to Oz or NZ. There are some "direct" - meaning same plane, same flight number - but it's too far with current planes.

Typical stopover points are Singapore, Hong Kong, Dubai, (or Los Angeles en route to AKL.)

Ordinarily I'd advise buying tickets directly from the airlines, but the "Kangaroo" and NZ routes are so competitive out of the UK that often travel agents have access to good fares, or fares with lenient stopover or routing options. I'd probably consult with one of them.

One note is that a spot check for next January (don't know your dates) shows that a return trip on Singapore Airlines (via Singapore, obviously) is £300 cheaper from Amsterdam than from London, and I suspect you could buy tickets to AMS (or ride the train) for less than 300 quid.

Book Singapore Airlines via Singapore - you can also book extra legroom seats in the upper deck at the time of booking very reasonably which should make a big difference to your flight. I am doing this in November & paid less than £850 return with exit seats & I have a gold card for star alliance so can use the lounges as well. Enjoy :)

No it can't; no nonstops from Western Europe to Oz or NZ. There are some "direct" - meaning same plane, same flight number - but it's too far with current planes.

Typical stopover points are Singapore, Hong Kong, Dubai, (or Los Angeles en route to AKL.)

Ordinarily I'd advise buying tickets directly from the airlines, but the "Kangaroo" and NZ routes are so competitive out of the UK that often travel agents have access to good fares, or fares with lenient stopover or routing options. I'd probably consult with one of them.

One note is that a spot check for next January (don't know your dates) shows that a return trip on Singapore Airlines (via Singapore, obviously) is £300 cheaper from Amsterdam than from London, and I suspect you could buy tickets to AMS (or ride the train) for less than 300 quid.

Book Singapore Airlines via Singapore - you can also book extra legroom seats in the upper deck at the time of booking very reasonably which should make a big difference to your flight. I am doing this in November & paid less than £850 return with exit seats & I have a gold card for star alliance so can use the lounges as well. Enjoy :)

Loving all this feedback.

Thank you all so much.

Cruise embarks 14th Feb 2016

I have flights and hotels included. 2 nights pre cruise hotel in Auckland so looking at flying out of LHR on the 10th (or earlier with stopover)

Cruise disembarks 20th March. 3 nights post cruise hotel in Sydney included to fly home 23rd March.

TA including lounge access.

???? Not sure what this means.

Sorry..... still lagged from my recent trip..... my Travel Agent is including Lounge Access so I don't need that aspect..... someone mentioned it earlier

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Sorry..... still lagged from my recent trip..... my Travel Agent is including Lounge Access so I don't need that aspect..... someone mentioned it earlier

Just curious as to what that means. Is your travel agent paying for day passes to the airline lounge? :confused:

Can this be done in Economy by a tall over 60yo with back problems?

Please convince me it's doable.

What's the longest flight you've done in economy, and how you/your back feel at the end of the flight? Could you have remained in an economy seat for a longer period of time? If so, how much longer? Then look at the options for your current flight and compare.

Just curious as to what that means. Is your travel agent paying for day passes to the airline lounge? :confused:

Yes

What's the longest flight you've done in economy, and how you/your back feel at the end of the flight? Could you have remained in an economy seat for a longer period of time? If so, how much longer? Then look at the options for your current flight and compare.

4-5 hours quite a while ago..... have accrued sufficient Air Miles with BA in the past to upgrade but they're all used up now and I need to start building a bank up again.

Hi,

Am being offered Singapore Airlines via Singapore or Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong. Any comments to add to your advice above?

Linda

ETA Singapore Airlines appear to have the shortest routes time-wise.....

Edited by NorbertsNiece

4-5 hours quite a while ago.....

Am being offered Singapore Airlines via Singapore or Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong. Any comments to add to your advice above?

A quick Google search and it looks like Singapore to London is about 13 hours. So back to my original question....Your longest flight to date is 4-5 hours, and one leg of this trip would be 13+ hours (not to mention a prior flight from SYD to SIN). I know you said your 4-5 hr. trip was quite a while ago, but do you have any recollection of how your back felt after that flight? Could you have remained on the plane, in coach, for 9 more hours?

Not sure if this well help but Air New Zealand does Heathrow to LA then LA to Auckland. Their economy class has very narrow seats but the Premium Economy has great wiggle room --the window seats have great leg room. I always carry a lumbar pillow on planes.

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments everyone.

I've booked LHR - HKG - AKL then SYD - HKG - LHR with Cathay Pacific.

I've got a tempur cushion :)

Once final payment goes through I'll see if it's still possible to pay for legroom seats.....

Once final payment goes through I'll see if it's still possible to pay for legroom seats.....

Do be prepared to be disappointed if you're waiting to book extra legroom seats. There aren't many, and Cathay + OneWorld elites (even the lower level of elite) get them for free at booking, so I think you might end up disappointed...especially on OneWorld Elite heavy routes like LHR-HKG-LHR and SYD-HKG.

Edited by Zach1213

Do be prepared to be disappointed if you're waiting to book extra legroom seats. There aren't many, and Cathay + OneWorld elites (even the lower level of elite) get them for free at booking, so I think you might end up disappointed...especially on OneWorld Elite heavy routes like LHR-HKG-LHR and SYD-HKG.

Yeah..... the seats are currently available for purchase on paid up tickets.... my OneWorld meagre status counts for nothing.... ho hum.... I'll be fine.... all part of the adventure....

Yeah..... the seats are currently available for purchase on paid up tickets.... my OneWorld meagre status counts for nothing.... ho hum.... I'll be fine.... all part of the adventure....

That was the reason we booked Singapore as you can book the exit seats at the same time you book the flight - I would not fly economy without exit seats so that was a big + for me plus they are part of star alliance.

• 4 months later...

I upgraded to BC and am now flying BA LHR - SYD - AKL with a touchdown in SYN.

I have 1 hour 40 minutes between flights at Sydney Terminal 1..... the next leg is operated by Qantas (still has a BA flight number). Do I go through Australian Immigration or can I use a transit route to onward departures?

Edited by NorbertsNiece