Celebrity raising agents' commission?

Suzy Smith

You must have found a gem because the ones I have tried don't come close to the perks given by large US travel agencies.

In matter of fact the majority of Canadian agencies give nothing.

They certainly don't advertise that their rates are better.

No agency is allowed to quote a lower price than Celebrity's but they can give kick backs

An illustration, name excluded, would be helpful.

Yes, I totally agree!!! I would certainly like the name of one agent that gives you a great deal in Canada. My first year of reading Cruise Critic, I had booked a European Oceania cruise and spent a considerable amount of time trying to find an agent that would give me something! - no way.

I asked the auto club to just send a bottle of wine to the cabin and was refused that also. Then I got smart and realized it is the U.S agents that hand out generous perks for your business.

God Bless America !!!

And to add - I have never had any problems with the agents in the States.

No agency is allowed to quote a lower price than Celebrity's but they can give kick backs

The lowest price, for the 4 November Celebrity Constellation transatlantic cruise, is listed on the Celebrity website right now at $929pp...

A major online travel site has the same cruise listed at $759pp.

In addition, the online agency is offering $75 OBC.

(Taxes fees and port expenses of $99.80 are extra in both cases)

I too would like that TA's name!! 4-5 yrs aga I had one booking with X and I dropped into a brick and mortar agency in my town and said that I would be willing to transfer the booking to them and what incentives would they offer. The agent told my that she would actually charge me:eek: because of all the extra work!! I have been using a great TA in the US for the last 3 years which gives great service, incentives and I can book in both currencies. It would be nice to support local businesses but they just aren't competitive.

So if in the past Key partners are getting 10% then other smaller agencies must be down in the 5% area, which isn't likely.

Alternatively agencies had a similar range before, but only key partners are getting the increase to a rate around 20%.

Sounds likely.

Edited by The_Big_M

Alternatively agencies had a similar range before, but only key partners are getting the increase to a rate around 20%.

Sounds likely.

I'm certain that X gives different starting commissions already, my TA has confirmed this. Smaller agents get smaller commissions, volume sellers begin to gain better commissions.

My agent has only said her commission is more than 10% but not 20%. She's an independent, affiliated with a larger consortium.

A TA is like any other business and relies on revenue, I the hope to make a 'slim' profit! They would (or should) only charge fees where they are not able to course commission from a supplier. Most airlines today for example do not pay commission, so TA's need to charge a handling fee to cover costs. But on a cruise or land tour, they will earn a commission though at no extra cost to the customer.

Indeed customers may be better off as some of that commission will be handed back as a a perk (OBC, Free Grats etc) or even where permitted a discount.

Like them or not they are an important selling channel for most cruise lines and suppliers out there and it would be like shooting them selves in the foot to cut TA's out of the equation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by QE2_Fan

I'm struggling to understand why folks take issue with travel agent commissions. Celebrity isn't going to lower the price of your cruise if travel agents go away and everyone was booking internally with Celebrity. They'd simply take in more revenue for themselves (I'm sure they'd like that).

However, my travel agent (whom I've used for many years) goes above and beyond for us. She cares far more than most of the folks I've talked to on the phone with Celebrity over the years. The commission she earns on our bookings is well deserved. I'd much prefer to see her stay in business than end up with additional internal Celebrity staff.

Just my two cents. I appreciate our agent and want her to stay in business!

I too would like that TA's name!! 4-5 yrs aga I had one booking with X and I dropped into a brick and mortar agency in my town and said that I would be willing to transfer the booking to them and what incentives would they offer. The agent told my that she would actually charge me:eek: because of all the extra work!! I have been using a great TA in the US for the last 3 years which gives great service, incentives and I can book in both currencies. It would be nice to support local businesses but they just aren't competitive.

Another Canadian here that only books cruises through US TAs. Even with the exchange rate I end up so much further ahead with discounted rates and onboard credit.

I'm certain that X gives different starting commissions already, my TA has confirmed this. Smaller agents get smaller commissions, volume sellers begin to gain better commissions.

Which doesn't disagree with what I wrote.