Help me pick an Alaskan Cruise

kathy884

First I guess my question is if you think Holland America would be a decent choice of a cruise line for us? DH is 60, I'm 54, and our son who is in college and will be traveling with us is 19. We'd be going in a August timeframe (end of the first or second week in August). We don't do much cruising -- although we have cruised Carnival and NCL in the Caribbean and up to Halifax / St. John (eastern Canada). We've done a lot of vacationing in Western National Park and other places out west, so like probably most people -- love pristine natural places. // Some people have said that Holland America has an older demographic -- but I'm guessing if school is out we would see all ages?? // For DH who unfortunately smokes, it would be a positive that he could smoke out on the balcony on Holland American too. // I've also heard that Holland America has lots of expertise in Alaska and is a good choice for that.

Next -- OMG there are just too many choices -- How do I pick?

With everything I've heard about Glacier Bay and since there are so many with that I'll look for that itinerary.

But do I do North to South, South to North, Vancouver to Vancouver, Seattle to Seattle?? I'm tempted to do South to North or North to South and spend three nights / two days up north before or after the cruise?? Seattle to Seattle is the cheapest for air, but would that mean rougher seas?? It also has Victoria as a port -- I love Victoria, but have vacationed there for a full week two different times, so don't really want that as a port stop, but it would be ok. Vancouver to Vancouver looks like a nice itinerary too, and I wouldn't mind two days their either -- but up north sounds better. // So if the choice is north to south or south to north, how do you pick? Are there some great Alaskan port you would recommend that I should look for in the itinerary. We aren't into gift shops, shopping, or things like that.

I'm not sure how to decide?

Welcome Kathy. HAL is a great choice for Alaska, for reasons beyond your husband's ability to smoke on your balcony. We and my sister and her husband renewed our vows with the Captain of the Statendam on a 7 night round trip from Vancouver this past October. We enjoyed the ship, the ports, the scenery and those we got to know aboard.

I am confident may people will respond so I only want to make two points. I encourage you to depart or arrive in Vancouver instead of Seattle. We have done both. Seattle is a rougher ride outside of Vancouver Island and your actually see land much of the time when transiting the Inside Passage.

I also recommend doing the North or South transit instead of only visiting Southeast on a round trip. The land days in the Alaskan Interior will be as precious as the cruise experience. The entire time will be a wondrous assault on your senses, for you and your husband to store away in memories and photos. Enjoy.

For me, Hubbard Glacier and the transit to get to it is superior than anything that I saw at Glacier Bay. Why HAL dropped this from most, if not all, of their itineraries is beyond my understanding.

I would agree that HAL would be the superior cruise company to use followed by Princess. Vancouver is a great city to visit; so many things to see/do. And, Anchorage is just as fascinating. The trip between Seward and Anchorage is a treat unto itself.

Princess uses Whitter as a port and in order to get to/from it, the bus or train must go through a long tunnel that is shared by both vehicles and trains. Quite interesting, I found.

I am sure whatever you decide, you will find The Great Land will meet your expectations!

Why HAL dropped this from most, if not all, of their itineraries is beyond my understanding.

Aren't there newish restrictions in place due to the harbor seals in the area? An important pupping/nursery area? Something like that, if I recall correctly.

Aren't there newish restrictions in place due to the harbor seals in the area? An important pupping/nursery area? Something like that, if I recall correctly.

Most certainly, I do not know. But, I do know that other cruise lines, and I think this includes Princess, includes Hubbard Glacier on some of their itineraries.

In my opinion as to why it was dropped: it was more fuel intensive. It is a long trip from and to the ocean in order to see this magnificent Glacier.

These restrictions have been in place for a number of years . What is going on is that National park Service has put a restriction of how many ships a year and on a daily basis as well.

These restrictions have been in place for a number of years . What is going on is that National park Service has put a restriction of how many ships a year and on a daily basis as well.

Very interesting to know. But, why?

If other cruise lines can include Hubbard Glacier on regular itineraries and HAL does not, I am of the opinion that economics are more in play than any restrictions and they are being used as an excuse.

Why would Hubbard Glacier be more restricted than Glacier Bay?

Very interesting to know. But, why?

If other cruise lines can include Hubbard Glacier on regular itineraries and HAL does not, I am of the opinion that economics are more in play than any restrictions and they are being used as an excuse.

Why would Hubbard Glacier be more restricted than Glacier Bay?

Hubbard is less restricted than Glacier bay . Many 7 day return cruises from Seattle and Vancouver don't have time to spent a full day in GBP.

Most cruises that goto Seward or Whittier stop at Hubbard Glacier one direction or both ways.

We have done the Seattle round trip and it is a pretty rough ride. This time we chose a round trip out of Vancouver (Noordam) for that reason. I liked that itinerary because you can actually see both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay in one trip. (You pay extra for the Tracy Arm excursion..but to me it's worth it...it's beautiful!)

Also, you can work in flying to/from Seattle too and taking the amtrak train up to Vancouver and back. You save on airfare and also the customs/border crossing is supposedly a bit easier...plus, it's supposed to be a fairly scenic ride. Timing can be tricky, but it is doable.

Edited by jvalentine

We did what JValentine suggested in 2006 and are doing it again next month. We fly into Seattle, take the train to Vancouver, spend the night, get on our cruise. On the way back, we are taking QuickShuttle from Canada Place to SeaTac.

In 2006 we cruised Celebrity, stopped in Sitka, Ketchikan, Juneau and cruised Hubbard Glacier.

I had so many people tell me how fabulous Glacier Bay was I made sure it was on my itinerary this time around, along with Skagway, felt like I really missed something by not going there.

Would love to do a one-way, but don't have enough time off to take the extra time and do interior.

Happy planning! Also, remember, the excursions can be costly and really can make your vacation!

I'd go south to north because that way the scenery is getting more spectacular every day.

I'd want any two 2 of: Hubbard glacier, College Fiord and glacier bay. Unfortunately, that leaves HAL out.

If you can go one way, Vancouver to Whittier, that would be great. I used frequent flyer miles home from Anchorage.

I'd suggest flying into Anchorage. Bus or train to Seward; catch the ship and end the cruise in Vancouver. We've done Seattle to Seattle, but one misses cruising the true inside passage on that route. Also, if you can swing it, a night spent in Seward would allow you to do the 7 1/2 or 9 hour boat trip with Major Marine or Saltwater lodge. Kenai Fjords does a good job too, but WoW! They really cram the people on their boats. This is a spendy tour, but worth it. For the rest of the ports, there's plenty of great DIY tours/trips you can do and save oodles of $$$$. I do think Holland America does Alaska best. And during those times, your son just might find a few others his own age.

Caroline

Some thoughts on the matter-

1. All cruises to/from Seattle are constrained by federal law, the PVSA, to be round trips.

2. The same law forces an additional stop at a Canadian port. Commonly a brief stop in Victoria late in the day on thr last day before disembarkation. Not the most desirable,IMHO.

3. I would probably do a north to south trip to allow relaxation on the ship after traipsing around Alaska.

4. Also, most flights from Anchorage to the lower 48 depart late at night, in my own case at 1:30 AM!!.

In any case, do it. You can try the other options the next time. Odds are there will be a next time.

Edited by Itasca
Correct auto correct mistake.

First I guess my question is if you think Holland America would be a decent choice of a cruise line for us? DH is 60, I'm 54, and our son who is in college and will be traveling with us is 19. We'd be going in a August timeframe (end of the first or second week in August). We don't do much cruising -- although we have cruised Carnival and NCL in the Caribbean and up to Halifax / St. John (eastern Canada). We've done a lot of vacationing in Western National Park and other places out west, so like probably most people -- love pristine natural places. // Some people have said that Holland America has an older demographic -- but I'm guessing if school is out we would see all ages?? // For DH who unfortunately smokes, it would be a positive that he could smoke out on the balcony on Holland American too. // I've also heard that Holland America has lots of expertise in Alaska and is a good choice for that.

Next -- OMG there are just too many choices -- How do I pick?

With everything I've heard about Glacier Bay and since there are so many with that I'll look for that itinerary.

But do I do North to South, South to North, Vancouver to Vancouver, Seattle to Seattle?? I'm tempted to do South to North or North to South and spend three nights / two days up north before or after the cruise?? Seattle to Seattle is the cheapest for air, but would that mean rougher seas?? It also has Victoria as a port -- I love Victoria, but have vacationed there for a full week two different times, so don't really want that as a port stop, but it would be ok. Vancouver to Vancouver looks like a nice itinerary too, and I wouldn't mind two days their either -- but up north sounds better. // So if the choice is north to south or south to north, how do you pick? Are there some great Alaskan port you would recommend that I should look for in the itinerary. We aren't into gift shops, shopping, or things like that.

I'm not sure how to decide?

Suggest considering a 2 weeker r/t Seattle. We did it on the Amsterdam last year and really liked it. I think HAL does it on the Statendam now. Yes, Holland America does get an older clientele; however, there will be some younger people too, just not as many as you'll find on Carnival, etc.

1) It goes to a couple nice ports the others don't go to (i.e. Kodiak, Homer, etc.)

2) The itinerary has some great glacier viewing and included Victoria.

3) It is 2 weeks: however, I think you will find the per diem spent will be less than a 1 week cruise. Note: on a 1 week cruise you get 6 full days on the ship and on a 2 week cruise you get 13 full days on the ship.

4) Also r/t Seattle can offset some of the additional expense with cheaper flights.

Some thoughts...

• if you do end up in Vancouver.... budget extra days there. Vancouver is bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined. They even serve live King crab there... not the frozen stuff they serve in Alaska.
  • If you can't decide which cruise line.... you can go Northbound with one line and then return on a second cruise line a few days later. One complaint is the half days in Alaskan ports are not enough to cover all the excursions you want to do.... hitting the cruise ports twice makes up for this.
  • have you heard about HAL's Yukon/Denali option. That's where you go Northbound halfway, but get off in Skagway.... then explore the land portion between Skagway and Anchorage.... I wanna do this one day.
    http://www.hollandamerica.com/YukonDoubleDenali

Here's some vids to get you inspired...

[YOUTUBE]LyOFAKRjcpo[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]Hj5GcyeWsuk[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]B0dplvMRQHQ[/YOUTUBE]

Don't get us started on Glacier Bay vs Tracy Arm vs combo

Also have you decided on going early (dryer in Alaska) or late in the season (less Tracy ice congestion)?

Edited by xlxo

Thanks so much everyone for sharing your thoughts and insights. It sounds like whatever we choose it will be a great trip for us. We would be going in August (second/third week timeframe) due to DS working earlier in the summer and needing to get back before the college semester starts. We have some time constraints too -- 10 nights / nine days, so are just looking at seven day cruises with a three night / two day stay before, We have budget constraints too, but have allocated way more monies than we usually do for vacation to be able to get a balcony, do some of the expensive excursions, etc. It's probably going to be about double what we usually spend for week long vacations, so although I've heard lots of posters say we'll be back, it may be more of a once in a lifetime trip for us. We're using both our vacation budget and bonus money, not just vacation budget (which we usually always stay within). Typical vacations for us are more like a week in Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park (our most accessible national park), a trip to South Dakota -- one spot for four nights / another for three nights, a week to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (our favorite tropical destination). We fly most places.

I'm really too after all your posts very enthused about trying out Holland America.

I see benefits of all the various option, but think after reading all of your posts -- given that we would want to stay overnight the day before our cruise that a three night stay in Alaska followed by the cruise to Vancouver might be our best bet (sounds superior to one night front end and two nights back end. -- staying put for a little while) But I do see how it would be cool to go south to north, as the north just sounds so beautiful - so sort of fun to save for last.

I'll take a look at their land cruise tours too. I imagine they would be expensive and take us over budget, but will definitely take a look. I haven't done that yet.

I very much appreciate the time everyone took to post and share experiences. You made me feel very welcome on this forum, and I'm overwhelmed by all the response..

Suggest considering a 2 weeker r/t Seattle. We did it on the Amsterdam last year and really liked it. I think HAL does it on the Statendam now. Yes, Holland America does get an older clientele; however, there will be some younger people too, just not as many as you'll find on Carnival, etc.

1) It goes to a couple nice ports the others don't go to (i.e. Kodiak, Homer, etc.)

2) The itinerary has some great glacier viewing and included Victoria.

3) It is 2 weeks: however, I think you will find the per diem spent will be less than a 1 week cruise. Note: on a 1 week cruise you get 6 full days on the ship and on a 2 week cruise you get 13 full days on the ship.

4) Also r/t Seattle can offset some of the additional expense with cheaper flights.

I would also go with this if time allows! The itinerary is fantastic... I can't wait to do this one again myself.

xlxo,

Wow. -- that Land / Sea 11 day Yukon sounds wonderful and actually is almost exactly the timeframe we were thinking we could do. I'll have to see what DH thinks about that. He's the one in the family who is really interested in seeing Alaska and doing an Alaskan cruise, so I'll let him pick. I have a feeling though that this would be really appealing to him as I think a big problem he's had when looking at cruise in Alaska before is that he'd really like to do more than see a few ports and do port excursions. Yet the idea of cruising through Alaska also has quite a bit of appeal.

It looks like a really appealing itinerary to me, but I'm more of a land than sea girl. I didn't realize that these combinations kept total travel time fairly close to the time we could devote to a trip, was thinking we'd need a lot more time.

If you do decide to take a land/cruise tour, I highly recommend you do the land portion first. The land touring is exhausting (worth it, but exhausting), and you can then use the cruise portion to recuperate.

Besides that, you will get the longer flights out of the way at the beginning, when you're fresher, and be able to head home on the shorter flights.

Hi Ruth,

Let me begin by thanking you for sharing your wealth of knowledge with us on the HAL forum. It would be my pleasure to meet and cruise with you someday!

I'm booked on the Oosterdam doing the land first cruise later this month for the same reasons you just gave. So far, so good. I did have an accident which resulted in surgery to my left achilles tendon two days ago; doctor says it maybe months before I can walk normally. If I still go, will I be OK with using either a regular walker or a kneewalker/scooter to do the land portion? We fly to Ancourage, stay one night there, board the train to Denali and stay there three nights, and then coach to Seward. I know HAL will take good care of me once I get to the Oosterdam, it is the land portion I'm concerned about.

There must be others out there hesistant to do this as well. Your gracious experience, please?

Thank you for the kind words.

Now, about that Achilles tendon---I just don't know.

I tore my Achilles tendon (4cm) this past winter, but didn't need surgery. It took about two months to heal, and I was cleared by the doctor and physical therapist the week I left for Asia.

I was pretty much housebound all winter, wore a walking boot whenever I was awake, and had a hard time getting around---even in the house. I used a walker whenever I had to leave the house. It was really, really tough.

I would have concerns about climbing up getting on the train (steep, narrow), up & down off the bus, and any lengthy walking.

I would ask my doctor what his prognosis is for the recovery time frame, and whether or not he thinks you can do those things.

Good luck to you. I wish you the best and hope you can take this tour. Please let us know.