Explorer design change

DaveFr: Thank you for posting the Explorer cancellation policy. It is definitely harsh and could prevent some passengers from booking. Having said that, the interest in the ship is so great that all itineraries will eventually be booked (guessing that this will happen a little closer to the sailing date).

In terms of thinking that the airlines have set a precedence, I do not see it that way. It is easy for an airline to have a couple of "low cost" seats on their planes if there is a typo - after all, there are people that have "paid" with frequent flyer miles. The cost of a PH suite, as we know, is roughly $2,000/day. No one really expects Regent to comp. anything. Allowing a refund or a transfer of the deposit is typically what is done by cruise lines. Also, there are more than two suites involved if you consider passengers that may not want to sail in a suite without a bathtub. While it may not sound like a big deal to those of us who prefer showers, there are some folks that will not sail in a cabin without a bathtub (as has been discussed on other threads).

I would not be surprised to see other small changes on the Explorer as they continue building.

P.S. Was just thinking about the balcony that was planned for the two PH suites that overlooked the jogging track and wondering who would want a balcony (no matter what size) that has no privacy whatsoever. Maybe the idea to make the change wasn't so bad after all.

Edited by Travelcat2

Regent is a premier line generally providing good service and value. That said, one would expect truth in advertising, good will, and an honest support of their customer base. The advertising blitz was intended to book the Explorer well before her maiden voyage. They succeeded in assuring revenue before she was completed. That leaves the customers who made decisions in good faith based on the information provided at the time. If it were as simple as booking another cruise in the same time frame, same ports of call, and same amenities as previously promised, I would say not a big deal.

Unfortunately for the common folk who plan the time and money for an upscale cruise, flexibility in changing travel plans is not always possible. Once the joy of anticipation is taken away, it can take some time to remove the tarnish. We know the travel industry, and every industry, is about profit. Looking at life through my rose colored glasses I would like to see a company rise above the "lawyers and the board" and do the right thing, because that is what makes a business, nation, and society successful. What ever happened to the Golden Rule?

It would be refreshing to see a company say, "Sorry! My bad! We value your business and would like to make amends for our mistake." Think about it. Only two cabins are impacted by the deck design change. (Tub/shower another issue) Certainly the good will they could garner in doing the right thing has more value than the negative PR that has been generated, and will continue, if they do nothing.

Why would it be unreasonable to promote a good faith fix to those affected? I don't care who is responsible for the website but if I bought and paid for a product, of any kind, and the company took my $$, I would reasonably expect to receive what I was sold. I would also expect not to have to monitor the company or CC every step of the way to make sure that it happens. Maybe I don't want a different cruise at a different date. Maybe the idea of people watching was just what I was looking for and a jogging track seems sublime. I don't want a passive/aggressive explanation as to why I probably would be better off without it. Perhaps things shouldn't be sold that don't exist because OF COURSE anything can happen in the production process. This rant holds true for ANY company......not just Regent. Good PR should be of utmost importance to any company along with a fine product. I also don't believe that CC is such a teensy weensy entity that few people know about. Most anybody researching cruises of any kind on a computer is bound to come across CC and are probably better informed because of it, regardless of whether they prefer to join in the conversation or just sit back and read. Maybe today is the day that this fine company can offer some insight as to what they expect to see happen. A definitive acknowledgement that a problem exists and is being addressed might nip this thread in the bud.

travelcat, still waiting for you to admit that you were in error in blasting me for things I didn't say or even allude to. I simply asked who is responsible for what is contained in their website. After all, previously you stated that you admit when you are incorrect. Your almost constant defense of Regent has become absurd.

If you fail to post your admission, that will certainly give reason for people to question everything you say even when you use the term IMHO or something similar.

drib, I may have simplified what you and I both said and agree with your clarification in a later post. Cannot compensate for every little error however for substantial errors they need to be addressed in some manner.

The different deposit refund policies have baffled me, but I am not booking for that season anyway. I have a granddaughter who will be graduating from college fairly soon; if she takes a year between college and grad school, she will be the perfect cruising buddy. If Mark had lived, we would be in the thick of Regent planning with the rest of you, but he didn't and I am not going to pay 100% for a person who isn't there, or cruise an itinerary that doesn't appeal simply because there is a lower single supplement. Give me a great set of ports, and she and I will be there, hopefully on Regent.

As to the balcony overlooking the jogging track, how about we let individuals decide for themselves whether or not that's a good thing? I don't utilize it, but the people I have seen doing so certainly weren't craning their necks to see what might be going on, on the deck above them.

Regent is a premier line generally providing good service and value. That said, one would expect truth in advertising, good will, and an honest support of their customer base. The advertising blitz was intended to book the Explorer well before her maiden voyage. They succeeded in assuring revenue before she was completed. That leaves the customers who made decisions in good faith based on the information provided at the time. If it were as simple as booking another cruise in the same time frame, same ports of call, and same amenities as previously promised, I would say not a big deal.

Unfortunately for the common folk who plan the time and money for an upscale cruise, flexibility in changing travel plans is not always possible. Once the joy of anticipation is taken away, it can take some time to remove the tarnish. We know the travel industry, and every industry, is about profit. Looking at life through my rose colored glasses I would like to see a company rise above the "lawyers and the board" and do the right thing, because that is what makes a business, nation, and society successful. What ever happened to the Golden Rule?

It would be refreshing to see a company say, "Sorry! My bad! We value your business and would like to make amends for our mistake." Think about it. Only two cabins are impacted by the deck design change. (Tub/shower another issue) Certainly the good will they could garner in doing the right thing has more value than the negative PR that has been generated, and will continue, if they do nothing.

I am really curious as to what you feel Regent should do. What is the right thing? How do you feel they should make amends? Keep in mind that this isn't only two cabins....... it is two cabins on one cruise but there have been multiple Explorer cruises booked. Hopefully booking another cruise is not necessary. However, if you received a full refund, is there not enough time to plan another cruise? We are still 14-19 months away from the Explorer's 2016 cruises.

Edited by Travelcat2

Well, IMO the minimum Regent has to do is to fully refund upon request the deposits of the suites affected.Of course, if they want to garner the goodwill of this people they should offer some sort of OBC or discount. Please, I dont think this is the end of the world or anything like that! Its not like the cruise is in a couple of months!!

My goodness. Travelcat2 is obviously independently wealthy and/or on Regent's payroll. I am stepping out of this conversation with one last comment. An appropriate corporate response would be to acknowledge that their change created an inconvenience for which they apologize. That they value their customers and would like to show their appreciation for their continued travel partnership by xyz. Very simple to show they are accountable, have regret, honor, and value their customer base. This response would create good will rather than bad PR and would be a minimum expense to be written off. For the record, Regent has never said they are sorry. Their message is we made a change, you lose. Bad business response.

Well, this was a change they did on purpose, why would they say "they're sorry" about making it? To me that would sound totally phony. They advised you of the change, doesnt sound like they were trying to keep it under wraps. Did they really say "we made a change, you lose"?

A true "bait and switch" would have been that they made the change to the design of the cabin and didnt inform you until it was too late and you had fully paid for the cabin, and now they expected you to go ahead with the trip anyway (or worse, you find out the day of embarkation when you walk into your suite!).

Edited by cruiseluv

I am still holding my reservation in suite 1408 for an October, 2016 sailing. Should Regent contact me about any consideration for the balcony change I will promptly let everyone know. So far nothing has been communicated since I was informed that my wrap around balcony was gone.

So' date=' does this design change mean that the total guest capacity for the Explorer goes up by 4?[/quote']

That would seem to be the conclusion. Onboard passenger load increased but not qualitatively from guest experience viewpoint. About $8K in revenue per night for Regent.

Assuming no further cabin additions.

So' date=' does this design change mean that the total guest capacity for the Explorer goes up by 4?[/quote']

Yes - guest capacity does go up by 4+ (since an extra guest(s) - adult or child is not considered when the ship capacity is stated. While I personally would prefer a ship with a "capacity" of 700 guests, as long as the dining venues and lounges are large enough, it should not be noticeable.

I'm finding the whole topic of the Explorer quite intriguing as I am aware of people that do not care for Regent that have booked the Explorer. Truly hoping that the experience meets or exceeds expectations.

Agee about new ships. However, the debut of Oceania's Marina and Riviera did not bring forth some of the negative comments that I have seen on the Regent boards regarding the Explorer. There were changes on Oceania's new ships, changes on the debut of the Riviera and multiple issues on the maiden voyage of the Marina. Oceania guests took it all in stride. One can only hope that Regent passengers will do the same (i.e. no "free" cruises just because a balcony size changed). Actually, the poster affected by the change in the balcony is taking it in stride -- I applaud them!

• 2 weeks later...

I am one of the unfortunates who has booked suite No. 1407 on the Explorer. My TA sent me an e-mail from Regent who said that I can either cancel the cruise and get my deposit back or choose another cabin. I wrote to head office in London and got the same response - they said "regrettably the situation remains that we will not be offering compensation for the change". Well for one thing I didn't even ask for any compensation. You may well think what's the problem, I can get my deposit back, but that's not the issue. I chose that particular cabin on that particular deck and paid the required deposit and now feel that Regent have entered into a contract for a non-existent product. Me and hubby booked this cruise from the Explorer brochure which Regent sent to us. Nowhere in the brochure does it say that changes of any kind may be made at a later date. I find that Regent are intransigent in their dealings on this issue and wonder if there are any lawyers out there who could let me know if there is any chance of taking this matter further. I live in the UK and most threads on this subject are from people in the States. Has anyone in the States had a different response from Regent to that given to me? I'm sure there are many people who, on reading this will tell me to get a life, but that's probably because it doesn't affect you. I normally let things slide, but in this case I believe you should get what you paid for. I'd be pleased to hear other people's thoughts.

While I understand the disappointment, there is always the risk of change when you are booking a cruise on a ship that isn't built yet. It is likely that other things will change while they are building the inside of the ship. Things do not always work out the way they are planned or designed. If Regent would not give you the deposit back, it would be a concern.

When Oceania (Regent's sister company) was building their newest ship, we were scheduled to go on the maiden voyage. Due to strikes (the ship builder), the cruise was delayed and some people that hoped to go on the cruise were not able to go. IMO, this is a much bigger issue that learning a year+ in advance that your suite balcony has changed. On Oceania's previous ship, it's maiden voyage was on schedule but there were numerous problems on the ship (such as no internet). The newest Viking ocean ship that debuted a couple of months ago had similar issues (no television was one of them).

Perhaps there should be a warning for passengers that are booking cruises on ships that have not sailed their maiden voyage? While I do not know the answer, IMO, by Regent allowing cancellation and returning the deposit, it has no further obligation.

What a daft question! Regent would then have many more passengers upset and their good name will have gone down the pan!

I would say a "daft" question has indeed been asked but its not the one you referred to. Even in a litigious society like the USA I would consider highly unlikely you could take this matter further. In what way(s) have you been harmed??

You have not been harmed which is the basis for a law suit. Definitely they are willing to give you your money back because there isn't going to be the product that you booked. That is a good thing. Either take your money and run or pick another cabin...that's it. There is no legal basis for what you want, in my opinion.

Whether harmed or not it would have been nice if Regent offered something as a compensation, even if it's just an onboard credit, to show they are not completely heartless and are sorry that this situation has arisen.

At least they could have let you get the impossible Hendricks Gin in the cabin or a free cooking class - something that says we know you are disappointed, but we are sorry these things happen. It really doesn't take much to make people happy. (The airlines still fail on this point!)